Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good for 2nd weeker suggestions please.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

Skied for the first time last year and now am completely hooked, I cannot believe wasted all these years, am 43 now!

We are looking at France (has to fly from Gatwick) for next year probably around mid January, there will be 8 of us.

1 experienced black run type
1 mad snowboarder who will happily do reds
3 red, will do easy blacks
2 nervous 2nd weekers and one more adventurous 2nd weeker.

We did La Plagne last year and to be honest found that a bit limited for easy blues, there were a couple which we did as part of the lessons and then redid in the afternoons but the majority of blues we tried seemed quite narrow which is not so good if you need a lot of turning room.

Searching the forums for beginners +wide +blues and reading the resort posts has given me a few to think about.

Courchavel gets recommended lots but gets knocked for it's prices, La Tania gets suggested by some.

What I would love is someone who has skied La Plagne to be able to suggest somewhere else with plenty of wider blues as well as challenging reds and blacks in France or if elsewhere accessible from Gatwick.

Thanks,

Noggin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
there is somewhere I'd recommend...... but I can't bring myself to mention it's name.....do a search for 'worlds greatest resort...ever'
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Noggin007 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Skied for the first time last year and now am completely hooked, I cannot believe wasted all these years, am 43 now!

We are looking at France (has to fly from Gatwick) for next year probably around mid January, there will be 8 of us.

1 experienced black run type
1 mad snowboarder who will happily do reds
3 red, will do easy blacks
2 nervous 2nd weekers and one more adventurous 2nd weeker.

We did La Plagne last year and to be honest found that a bit limited for easy blues, there were a couple which we did as part of the lessons and then redid in the afternoons but the majority of blues we tried seemed quite narrow which is not so good if you need a lot of turning room.

Searching the forums for beginners +wide +blues and reading the resort posts has given me a few to think about.

Courchavel gets recommended lots but gets knocked for it's prices, La Tania gets suggested by some.

What I would love is someone who has skied La Plagne to be able to suggest somewhere else with plenty of wider blues as well as challenging reds and blacks in France or if elsewhere accessible from Gatwick.

Hmmm I would have thought La Plagne very suitable.

Some suggestions in France :

1. Alpe d'huez
2. Les Arcs
3. Courcheval 1500 or 1650- you don't need to stay at 1850. 1850 is the most convenient. 1650 v. good for your nervous type skier. NB you don't need to be a Russian Ogliarch to stay at 1850. I had a self catering deal for £260 within 100 metres of lifts!

Why are you limiting yourself to France?

Thanks,

Noggin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Serre Chevalier
Les Arcs
Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine

Oh there was one other, just over the border from La thuile, the name's on the tip of my tongue ....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Noggin007, Courchevel 1650

The best place in the world for confidence giving blue runs. Prices not too bad in 1650 and plenty for the more adventurous skiers. I wouldn't bother with La Rosiere as the runs are not that gentle for the nervous 1 weeker.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Noggin007, i did season in La Plagne-- and agree that a beginner might feel limited if you are just skiing around Plagne Centre. Look at Alpe D'huez- I did my 2nd and 3rd week there and loved it. Plenty for all abilities aswell
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Noggin007, what are your other criteria? for example, do you want to have "ski in ski out" accommodation, or are you prepared to bus?

I agree the Courchevel valley is ideal in many ways, and you don't have to pay a fortune. Just go self catering or stay in a good value catered chalet (1650 is a good idea, that's where we stayed when we went to Courchevel, and you can bus up to 1800 for a change without having to do the liaison if you wish). The more experienced skiers can buy 3 valleys passes, but the Courchevel only pass would be fine for the less adventurous skiers. If you self cater, hire a car from the airport and do a BIG supermarket shop on the way!

Welcome to Snowheads. snowHead At 43 you've not left it too late, got at least 20 years ahead of you...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Noggin007, try Bansko, Bulgaria. They have invested a fortune in infrastructure and when I was there a couple of years ago with a VERY mixed group it worked out really well. On snow - some great blues/reds (the blacks they have are not challenging so if you have a ski whizz with you they may get bored.. unless they find the nice little cliffs and powder stashes we did), good beginner area, lots of trees to play in for the more experienced. Off -snow.. Eastern European delights, great food, lively traditional and modern apres ski.. cuisine.. meat, meat, with a side serving of meat and a meat desert to round off.. but it is yummy. I have an apartment there but it wouldn`t be big enough for your group Crying or Very sad

You could also try Andorra - the resorts in Andorra are now lift linked so one pass gets you access to 5 resorts.. endless variety of blues and reds but again not so hot fo rthe ski whizz.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Our second week we went to Les Arcs, third week to Alpe d'Huez. Either of those would suit your criteria well I'd have thought and both have good ski schools.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I can see myself concentrating on Courchevel 1650 or Alpe D'huez for a late deal in early Jan.

Thanks again all.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Noggin007, Late deals a plenty at that time. You could get something decent at a snip.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Noggin007, as another late-starter to skiing (1st time November last year), I did a 2nd week in Courchevel. Stayed chalet-board in 1850, less than 100 metres to La Croisette lift station and all for £320 in late January. We went with Inghams and could not fault the experience and the value for money. Food was superb and the accommodation was grand. Our fellow skiers and boarders were excellent company too.

I would recommend Courch for the sheer wealth of runs. As 2nd weekers, I suggest you try the Reynards piste off the Verdons lift if you go. There is a good stretch with some nice rollers and a long run out where you can build up some good speed in a tuck and maybe even get some air Toofy Grin.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Noggin007, we also did our second week in C1650, mainly because a friend of ours has a couple of apartments there. Perfectly situated and according to his web site, he has availability in the middle 2 weeks of Jan. PM me for his web site if you're interested

ETA: oops, just seen how many of you there are, so my pal's apartment is prob too small, but would still second the recommendation of C1650
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Noggin007,
You can get to loads of different places from Gatwick. If as you say you are waiting on a late deal I would not restrict yourself to France. If that's where the best snow is thats great (It was along with western switzerland last season) The year before it was much better in Austria, next season who knows? In January if it is cold and has not snowed for a while the pistes can get very hard and icy not ideal for the nervous second weeker.
Lots of places may suit, I would think Wengen Ischgl Obertauern are all highly thought of on this board as well as the resorts already mentioned.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Noggin007, you could have a look at La Rosiere, there are some nice long wide blue runs and enough red and black pistes to keep the more experienced skiers happy. The skiing is s[lit between France and Italy with mostly south facing pistes in france and north facing runs in Italy so there's a good mix of conditions. The lift pass is terrific value at just over £100.00 for 6 days and snow conditions are usually very good, the resort is close to Mont Blanc so it's very snow certain. Have a look at our website www.tracksvacations.com for details of our chalet we've got some tempting offers for January.
latest report
OK, who had 20 hours in the sweepstake? Laughing
snow report
Another vote for Courchevel 1650, and lessons with New Generation. Lots of confidence-inspiring pistes above 1650, and possible to ski across to 1850 for that sense of achievement for the 2-weekers, plus as much terrain as the more experienced skiers/boarders could want. Althouh staying in 1850 is more expensive, it doesn't have to break the bank and the terrain around that village is just as suitable for mixed ability groups as 1650. If you're based in 1850 another ski school option would be Supreme.
snow report
rob@rar, I would also add that it's plenty easy enough to use Supreme in 1850 even if you're staying in 1650, the bus runs every 10 minutes
snow conditions
if you can get a deal in 1850, I agree with Rob and its more convenient for the more adventurous skiers who are getting around the whole 3V> There is a also a really wide blue run down to 1550 which is frequently deserted albeit a little steeper than other blue runs. I've ahd fun going up and down that run a few times. Don't rule out 1550 either- one chair/bubble up to 1850.
latest report
I'm in a similar position, going with skiers more experienced than me. We've chose Vallandry for next Feb, which gives good access to both Les Arcs and Paradiski areas. I have got lessons booked with NewGeneration and have been told that V has the longest novice run in Europe - I think it is called Le Foret - sounds like my scene!
snow conditions
NewSkier, the Foret run is lovely. Starts on a broad, gentle plateau above the resort then winds through the forest down to the village. In some places it's very flat (it's a road in the summer for part of it) but terrific for new skiers to be able to travel some distance without getting freaked by steep bits. New Gen in Vallandry is very good - small, but with very good instructors. I've skied a few times with the guy who heads the school there, John Thomas (who is also an occasional poster here on snowHeads) and will get some more instruction with him this season.

dan100, there's now a new green piste from 1850 down to 1550 - you're right, the original blue there has a fairly steep section in the middle of it. We've stayed in 1550 a few times - great access to the skiing, and a bit cheaper/quieter than 1850.
ski holidays
rob@rar, ooh thanks - even more eager to get there now ... only 21 weeks to wait!
latest report
NewSkier, I'm sure you'll love it Very Happy
snow conditions
NewSkier wrote:
I'm in a similar position, going with skiers more experienced than me. We've chose Vallandry for next Feb, which gives good access to both Les Arcs and Paradiski areas. I have got lessons booked with NewGeneration and have been told that V has the longest novice run in Europe - I think it is called Le Foret - sounds like my scene!

Trust me it is long and very, very gentle and nicley goes acorss other runs so if your confidence grows you can try slighlty harder runs. Great choice of venue.
ski holidays
eng_ch, any chance of your mates website please.
ski holidays
Noggin007, how about Tignes? Lots of nice wide blues, some approachable reds for when you feel a bit more confident, & plenty of stuff for the more experienced members of your party... and you can ski to Val D'Isere as well, of course, should you feel the need...
latest report
Guvnor wrote:
OK, who had 20 hours in the sweepstake? Laughing
Nobody went beyond two hours Shocked
I'd echo Vallandry for nervous skiers who want a large area at their level but with quick easy access to some butt clenching terrain for the other nutters. And to repeat FtS, La Rosiere is NOT suitable for nervous skiers unless they are happy bumbling down the same two or three pistes day after day. . . at that level you'd be better off getting lessons at Milton Keynes first.
snow report
Masque, you really are a piece of poo-poo aren't you, I suppose your opinion is based on your extensive experience of cowdoo because it certainly isn't based on your extensive ski experience.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Noggin007, It doesn't have to be France.

If the snow conditions are decent, you will get more for your money in Austria, or in the Italian Dolomites - Selva would probably be a good choice for a mixed group.
snow report
Noggin007, We'd be happy to help you in Alpe d'Huez! Get in touch when you are looking to book your trip as we always give special deals to Snowheads and our flights are from Gatwick. If you have any questions on the ski area just ask snowHead
snow report
katski, I would recommend ADH too, great big wide blues served from resort level for the beginners, harder runs from the glacier down for the more experienced, you can have a morning of hard skiing, and then meet up with the beginners after lunch or so some easy blues with them.
ski holidays
David@traxvax, that's a bit harsh David, I should think my experience of La Ros with you illustrates EXACTLY why it's unsuitable for 2nd. week skiers. While we're on the subject of experience, both the people you said you skied the Vallée Blanche with are unequivocal in denying they were there Confused Confused Confused perhaps you can enlighten us?

More to the point, WHAT exactly in my post is incorrect?
latest report
Noggin007, Good luck with your trip. I too found skiing late (ish) in life but am more than making up for it now Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
My gf found most Selva runs too intimidating and found it sometimes just too much of a trek to get to the few easier ones- i'd agree with others that ADH has plenty of greens and easyish blues as well,the other resort that was reccommended to me was Passo Tonale in Italy-it got the thumbs up from my gf and a couple of beginners that came with us.
ski holidays
I've skied la Rosiere: absolutely nothing wrong with it for 2nd week skiers, there are dozens of places in the alps which would be far worse.

And no, I am not David@traxvax in disguise! Smile
snow conditions
I still think that for a mixed group les Arcs has a hell of a lot to offer.
latest report
David@traxvax wrote:
Masque, you really are a piece of poo-poo aren't you, I suppose your opinion is based on your extensive experience of cowdoo because it certainly isn't based on your extensive ski experience.

Back to the annual good-natured banter. Anybody going to let me know the results of the court case? Bet I am the only sH who doesn't know.

Noggin007, you might want to search the forum for Frosty the Snowman and La Rosiere. He's a pretty straight guy - I'd trust his comment.
Personally, I'd recommend Flaine - but accommodation choice can be a bit limited. Otherwise, there's lots fo everybody - with more experienced skiers taking a full area lift pass. Glad you're hooked on skiing! Very Happy
snow conditions
Noggin007, There are lots of places that fit the bill.

Have a look in one of the books like 'Where to Ski & Snowboard' or 'Good Ski Guide'. Then decide which places appeal and come back with a short list. Courchevel is very good but you can get to lots of countries from Gatwick. Sauze d'Oulx or Soll are other possibilities to name but two.

achilles, I do not know about any court case either. Both Masque and David can take care of themselves in 'good-natured banter'. Though I suspect the banter may be more damaging to David and an avoidance strategy would be more commercially sensible. I have never been to La Rosiere but it did sound fascinating. Main issue is that I prefer hotels.
snow conditions
if you like somewhere a bit more 'pimp' then what about Lech? It's a bit more upmarket than the french resorts and has got lots of really nice WIDE crusy blues. and the hardcore bunch can do things like the white circle (should take no more than 3 hours) or drop across to Stanton on the bus..

If you want to stay with france then I'd second Vallandry (les arcs) , Courch1650 + NEW GEN and Alpe D'huez..
ski holidays
the ice perv, "there are dozens of places in the alps which would be far worse." Rizoul for a start wink . There are also dozens of places better with a much larger and conveniently accessed gentle piste area. I've never said La Ros is a bad place but to get around the whole area you need to be confident (and relatively quick) on narrow cat-tracks and very tolerant of old jerky drags. Let's face it, getting down the back of Fort to the coll drags is not for the faint hearted, neither is getting to the Fort chair in the first place. There are worse places, but for all its charms, not the least of which is its warm hearted, sotto voce, philanthropic, chalet pimp, there are many resorts that will give the early learner a much larger, better lift served area and thus a better experience for their second week. They can always sample the hot spam of LA Ros at a later date.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy