Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

spyder...cool or not cool?

Poster: A snowHead
queen_sheba wrote:
so about this critical versus fully seam-sealed. why the fuss? what's the diff and how will it affect me>?

It's all to do with the seams on the jacket or pants. Critical means that the seams that are the 'most likely' to get wet are taped so water can't get in. Fully means every seam is taped whether they're going to get wet or not. Gore-tex will not give their seal of approval to any garment that does not meet this requirement. So I look upon critical taping as cost-cutting of some form or another, which in a garment that costs hundreds of pounds should not even be a consideration.
snow report
 brian
brian
Betcha Sacha Distel wears Spyder Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brian, he's dead....
ski holidays
 brian
brian
holidayloverxx, exactly wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian, Evil or Very Mad wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mrs Distel, ex downhill skier Francine Bréaud, might though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JT wrote:
...coolest thing for women is Kjus, IMV,

Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel
JT wrote:
but you got to be able to carry it off

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyder base layers often look similar to my 3yo's spiderman pyjamas......... therefore not cool, sorry!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen_sheba, If you can carry off the jacket and can afford it then why not? What I might want to consider though is its going to look very cool when new, but how long is it going to stay 'that white' for, and will it still look cool when its got a bit grubby as its bound to if you are actually going to use it for skiing?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
it's a fair point. i'd prob go for the black with the white trim...just couldn't find a photo that wasn't teeny weeny!

i'm not a great fan of the shapeless jackets, i like something with a bit of waist otherwise i look like the michelen man/woman!

x
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen_sheba, I lusted after that jacket for ages. Ended up getting a Killy jkt 'cos it was in the sale and sooo much cheaper but I still like that one and I bet it will be dead flattering. Go for it girl!!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen_sheba wrote:
i was checking out the gorgeous ladies diamond jacket and had my heart set on it.

but someone on another forum said spyder wasn't cool - it was for ski instructors (are they not cool either?)

so here's the question - if the clean, slick lines of spyder and the sheer cost of owning apiece isn't cool then what is?

(not that i'm going to necessarily buy the coolest thing on the market - i genuinely like the look of the spyder stuff but i was just curious!)

what's the view on stuff like postcard, killy etc?

advice welcome...

cheers

looks cool to me!

It can be cool not to be cool.

If you are peachy and fit, then you can probably can get away with anything.

If you're a chunkster, then you might have to choose more carefully.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you're a chunkster, then you might have to choose more carefully

er....define chunkster? not very flattering comment. try curvy!

are you saying if you aren't skinny then you have to wear ugly ski clothes? hmm....think you might have sparked a fairly controversial debate there!

maybe carefully chosen words are better than carefully chosen clothes.....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen_sheba, words = chosen ??? ..

The poster in question is not that erudite wink rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've always thought Spyder kit was a bit "Martin Kemp in Aspen Extreme". However for ladies I don't know. Can't produce photo evidence of Kemp or Trevor Eve in the said movie either. rolling eyes
ski holidays
lol - i had to look that up! god i feel totally dense now!

heehee...learn something new every day!

cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
are you saying if you aren't skinny then you have to wear ugly ski clothes?

no, I think what Whitegold was saying was exactly the opposite - that it's the "peachy and fit" who can get away with any old thing and the less skinny who might want to choose more carefully! In terms of controversy, it's not even in the ballpark with Whitegold's usual observations!
snow conditions
Well, it might not be new, but I'm going to wear my acquired Spyder jacket this coming season, be it cool or otherwise. I'm one of the less skinny club and my unisex!/mens Spyder jacket will hide anything (thank god!). Does anyone else find that once you reach a certain age you stop worrying about being cool?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, only sometimes Cool
latest report
unisex!/mens Spyder jacket will hide anything (thank god!)

see i'm quite the opposite, i'd rather have it fitted.

fair point though - apologise for any misunderstanding!

yes you are prob right - the curvy among us need to have our waists flattered!
snow report
queen_sheba, Well, I am actually a huge believer in 'if you've got it flaunt it' and if I had I would!!! Laughing Laughing
latest report
queen_sheba, I'm afraid to say anyone who wears a white jacket when skiing deserves to be mown down like a hedgehog crossing a motorway. Even knobby 15 year olds would be excused. Even if they were wearing those trousers with a crotch that starts 2" below ground level AND wore a woolly hat in boiling hot nightclubs. Even if they spent all their time in the nightclub minesweeping and bumming cigarettes.
snow report
Quote:
Does anyone else find that once you reach a certain age you stop worrying about being cool?

I feel that after a certain age it's particularly important not to look like you've tried too hard because that makes it even more pathetic when you've patently failed. Nothing dafter than an old bat tricked out in all the latest stuff, I fear. Or at least, that's my excuse for not spending a lot of money on clothes (ski or otherwise). On the other hand I'm happy to spend as much as I can afford on lessons... it's actually quite nice to whizz past some cool young thing who's wearing all the latest gear. Or, better still, kindly help them up after a tumble, whilst acting as elderly and quavery as possible. That's really cool.
snow report
queen_sheba, My missus decided on a powder Blue Eider jacket, very technical looked good and didnt scream British or Russian. I like Killy on birds as well as Bogner....

ps where is Spyderman in this debate????? he is a walking advert for spyder gear

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 18-09-07 21:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I'd buy the spyder stuff if I could afford it, but I am an instructor so maybe that's why I like their stuff. I'm saving up for a spyder insulator jacket to go under my uniform. I do like marker stuff, though.
ski holidays
ok so would it be okay in black then? (666?)

i see your point, i'm too old to wear the really cool stuff but not old enough not to care! 30's a funny age - you are caught between the young cool things but you've still got a wee bit of time left before giving up! i mean i'm still single so need to look good for the cute boys/ski instructors!

ps yes also like killy and eider (as well as postcard and peak performance) but didn't see anything in their 2007/2008 range yet. ps also rally like the kjus stuff as well so thanks for that tip!

Very Happy
ski holidays
queen_sheba, 39 and holding here!!
snow conditions
queen_sheba, peak performance very sweeeeet. looks very good on chalet girls and technical skiers alike. popular with seasonaires as good and technical but slightly hard to find..... My daughter has some peak stuff
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
you can get away with anything as long as your skiing is good enough!
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
queen_sheba, 39 and holding here!!

Age or waist? Toofy Grin NehNeh
latest report
i've just had a look at their new collection on line (peak) it's very nice. oh dear. me thinks need a new job! (a money making one)
snow report
queen_sheba, half price at EB http://www.ellis-brigham.com/peak-performance-clothing-f.htm
snow report
Quote:
you can get away with anything as long as your skiing is good enough!

the funniest thing I ever saw was a middle aged man, two days after Christmas, in the entire racing outfit and brand new skis, in the drizzle on an Ayrshire dry ski slope so dilapidated it didn't even have a lift. Brand new, the whole caboodle. He could barely ski at all, and all the local lads in jeans and anoraks with fur round the hoods (it was a while ago...) whizzed past him all afternoon on the terrible hire skis covered in mud (because of having to walk back up the side of the matting each time, skis over shoulder). He reminded me of the little kids who used to walk round in their cowboy and nurses outfits on Christmas afternoon.
ski holidays
thanks for that.

wish i could afford to buy right now and take advantage of the sales! (however i'm mildly amused by the thought of buying a ski jacket with the choice of small medium and large as sizes!)

spyder and others go from a 6-18 size wise. especially in troos!

have you noticed many of the womens trousers are looking more in the style of jeans in the way they are cut - are they a better fit than the tradtional ones?
ski holidays
Ski sale in Edinburgh next Sunday, Queen. They have a quite smart girlie Rip Curl Jacket on their web site. Cheap kit (inc skis and boots). Graet for kitting out the kids in particular.

http://www.skiwear4less.com
ski holidays
thanks - i'll defo go along and have a look. any purchases need to wait until i've sorted my permanent job out though! fingers crossed it will be this week!
snow report
queen_sheba, go for trousers with a more traditional fit - snow down the back is uncomfortable and so are trousers that fall down!

Saw a woman last season on a lower intermediate slope wearing bright pink trousers and a pink bikini top. She was blonde with lots of hair, very loud, and very well endowed - pity she couldn't ski, though! Shocked snowHead
snow conditions
haeehee...bet you had a good look though!

a girl i travelled with had the more "jeans" style fit on. she didn't have any probs...

like this
http://www.skiwear4less.com/acatalog2/acatalog/vega_pant.html

most of the manufacturers make them - they can't be that bad otherwise people wouldn't buy them and they wouldn't make them?

ps must point out after previous posts - not in WHITE!

lol
snow report
Some of us wouldn't care that dhe couldn't ski, more opportunity to assist her to her feet wink
snow report
why am i not surprised?

it's just a shame the cute boys/ski instructors don't make too many tumbles...i'd be more than happy to help them up too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy