Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Tania Jan 08

Poster: A snowHead
Have just found a terrific deal for La Tania for WC 05.01.08 and wondered if anyone could provide any onfo on the resort?

We're a mixed group of beginners and intermediate/advanced. Understand that the 3-Vs is an awesome area, but know nothing about La Tania. For example, whilst the lift system looks great, how will beginners (lessons will be booked!) find it outside of the beginner area as they progress?

Also, appreciate that it's still fairly early in the season, so any personal insight into conditions experienced would be useful. The SKGB historic record looks OK - even last year!!

Anything on nightlife would be helpful.

The deal we're looking at flies into Lyon, which is a long transfer (3.5 hrs), but measured against cost it seems a smallish hardship! Could book a car I suppose!!

OK snowHeads, look forward to your experiences! Many thanks. Luc.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
personally I love La Tania, fast access to the high spots, and easy to drop into Meribel and Val Thorens. Beginners will find it great, they can easily get over into Courchevel 1850 and even 1650 for a day trip!

Even in the supposed bad snow last year you could still ski down to La Tania from the 16th Dec until the 22nd April!

Nightlife will be quiet! Lots of info here http://www.latania.co.uk

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Greg. I was looking at that site earlier, and whilst definitely one of the better one's that I've seen, I suppose it's still there for the promotion of La Tania. Looks like a "cosy" resort. Snow record for Jan over the last 5 seasons is "comforting", though the figures represent the month as a whole.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A second I love La Tania...And I'm booked in for 30th dec to the 6th Jan 2008...

A couple of quick lifts no queues gets you to ridge between Courchevel 1850 and Meribel..a bit of effort and you can get to Val Thorens for the day and back..The run(s) back to the resort are well covered with snow canons..

Night-life is limited to Le Ski Pub or Hotel Telemark but a bus is available to either Courchevel or Meribel. I would say if its self catering and you intend on eating out there are only about 3 restaurants but there is an Indian delivery service! We drove from Genonble last year and Lyon is fairly close no problems there..I admit I'm not that worried about the snow due to the history of the run back being open early last year and the year before etc...It's great for beginners and you have the rest of the 3v's for the intermediates
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers cfc5mu0, Indian delivery eh? Can't be bad Shocked Madeye-Smiley Looking at a catered chalet, but there's always the staff night off.......bhaji anyone?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't worry about Lyon being a long transfer - I prefer it to Geneva (apart from now having to get a courtesy bus to the hire cars). Obviously it depends on time of day but it's Motorway / Dual Carriageway for all 190km except for the last 16km to La Tania and can easily be done in under 2 hours with no traffic even allowing for the 4 toll stops.

Also add in La Taiga bar - live music on Sundays / Thursdays and Le Farcon bar for some extra night life plus a night in Courchevel should keep you amused for the week. Note that there is a free bus to Courchevel 1300/1550/1650/1850 every hour or so but the other way towards Meribel was only 3 times a day last season (connecting at Meribel Village).

A good way to end the day is to ski down to Lodge du Village at Meribel Village and watch a band there and bus back or get stranded at the Rond Point in Meribel at 5pm and ski back down to town in the dark (which it will be in Jan) - taxi back to La Tania was €25 last season.

As for beginners, they get them off the free drag in the village pretty quickly and up on to the mountain. The new green run from the gonodola has had further improvements this Summer too so they'll get over to 1850 and the massive wide open slopes there fairly soon.

Recommend the Indian too - but the Naga will blow your head off!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Luc, If there is a lack of natural snow the blue run into La Tania should be kept open with the snow cannons that have been in place for the past few seasons. The piste is north facing and protected by the forest, which should also help. In relative terms it is quite a tough blue which may mean beginners downloading on the gondola if there is no snow on the green piste(improved for 2007/2008) but this should not be too much of a hardship. It is a good resort and improvements over the last couple of summers have made it a lot more accessible for the beginners in your party.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
La Tania is ace. Pub le Ski Lodge is perfect for hanging out and waiting for your companions whilst necking a beer. We were there in March with 2 kids and a total beginner and found it just about perfect for our needs. The snow cover low down was not so good when we arrived and the red run closed (but I still managed to get down it to the chalet) but the blue was fine for getting back to base. Our highlight was meeting up with the rest of our chalet mates for a load of beers and smiles at the end of the last day. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another yes for La Tania, I went in mid Jan a few years ago - great little resort, but I mostly went over to Courcheval- not sure anyone other than a total beginner would stay in La Tania itself. Pub Ski Lodge- awesome burgers and MUCH cheaper than over the other side of the mountain.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

not sure anyone other than a total beginner would stay in La Tania itself.

La Tania is small but has some good quality off piste skiing, it hosts a major freeride competition each March. If the snow conditions are favourable it has good tree skiing, not recommended for your total beginner!.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks guys, some really helpful stuff and, having booked today, really looking forward to it. We got a week in a catered chalet (Jennifer - new) for £320 pp - a 30% reduction with Crystal.

Not been with them before, but have heard mostly quite good things about them. I've managed about 13 weeks, but haven't been to 3 Vs, so pretty excited to be honest snowHead Cool Cool Cool

The SO is convinced we're going to have loads of snow to play in, so if not...look out wink

We looked at the resort comments on SKGB on the public access part and again, some really positive comments.

Again, many thanks. Luc
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Luc, stayed there a few times and is a nice, althouh quiet resort. Although with 3 kids under 4 that suited us!

Beginners may find it tricky to get back if icy, although believe there is now a green run all the way back to the resort which wasn't there before. If tired though my parents used to take the gondola back from the Cafe at top. Said Cafe is also a good place to stop for a quick beer before last run of the day.

If you can is always worth dropping back to La Tania for lunch as quieter and cheaper

IS also easy to catch bus round to courcheval for easy access to runs over there or just for day out not skiing if so inclined
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boris, thanks - what time of year did you go? A day out....no skiing...? Not for me it won't be wink Others in the group might though! Hope the shops aren't too pricey/full of enticing goods!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Luc, late Jan

At the time there was only a red and blue run back to La Tania - Blue was really a red! Believe the green run is much better option.

Had a couple of non-skiers in the group and my parents (at 70+) also took a day out from skiing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boris,Im off to la tania over easter for the first time,we are giving hotel telemark a try.Website promises good food ,entertainment etc so we live in hope.Although I am fairly well travelled have not been to 3v,s so it will be good for a change of scenery.
latest report
hedley, Enjoy. Don't know the hotel but liked La Tania. Have skied 3V at Easter several times and always found it to be enjoyable and not as crowded as I though
latest report
La Tania rules the 3v. You don't get ripped off here!
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
I mostly went over to Courcheval- not sure anyone other than a total beginner would stay in La Tania itself. Pub Ski Lodge- awesome burgers and MUCH cheaper than over the other side of the mountain.
I agree with the above comment from Nadenoodlee...
I was there in Jan last year (3 days) at the Telemark and in 2006 at now closed 'chalet' 3days the year before.
It primarilly chalets, appt type accom plus a couple of hotels. Really only 3 watering holes of any importance, Telemark being one, Pub Le Ski lodge, La Tiaga. This usually means they are heaving, in a 'cannot get to the bar' sort of way. At times it seemd more like the seasonaires own private bars. They entice reps and workers in with internet access and discounted prices, with a stay while you drink policy. So they buy a coffee and stay hours! I wish I was them!
Prices are noticably cheaper than the higher resorts, lunch here and you save a packet in comparrison with the rest of the 3V's. I stayed there to fill in a few days prior to my visit to CV1850. For me though, a week would bore me to death.

Take a look at the resort reports or the posting I made during my stay - its called La Tania \ Courchevel CV 1850 - 11 day visit Jan 17 - 28 2007 (Sorry couldnt do the link thingy....) Weather was V warm in mid Jan last year, take a look at the photos and see the temps ... Remember these were made on the actual day, based on actual conditions, not the bullShi.... delivered by resorts, hotel or chalet owners, SCGB or other interested parties. It did make me annoyed when I saw web sites at the time suggest everthing was sweet! In the VT valley ski schools from St Martin and Les Menuires were teaching in Val Thorens as lower areas were skiable but vpoor. I must add I had been to the 3v's before and these poor conditions were exceptional though.

The Telemark do offer what seem good prices, midweek in particular but then suppliments start adding up (prices are quoted as based on 4 sharing). I was there as a single. As a comparrison, I had three days prior to LT I had 3 days in Val Thorens for very little more. See report under Snow Reports - Val Thorens 3 day Visit Jan 15 - 17 2007. Snow conditions were significantly better also. Generally I was dissapointed in the hotel, but then it was my choice and it filled a gap when I couldnt get in any where else.

You should be OK, on the basis that if you are happy with the price, its as cheap as you can ski the 3V's. This area has excellent snow cannons coverage, protected tree lined runs; If this area or its runs have poor snow coverage then some other resorts would close!

Roll on winter..... Smile
ski holidays
BMF_Skier, wrote
Quote:

Generally I was dissapointed in the hotel
Anything I should pick up on ?
hedley
snow conditions
hedley,
It was a convenience as I could not get in anywhere else for a short period leading up to my week in CV1850.
Being here as a single maybe that gave a slanted impression. Certainly bumped up the costs.
Seemed rather souless, bare, spartan. Not what i'd call cosey. More a restaurant\bar with accomodation above.
With suppliments it cost avg > 100euro per night, first two nights being in the week not half board.
With hindsight I could have stayed for the same in VT, with 5 course meals included each day. As a single that is.
My room was vsmall, not enough room to place a suitcase anywhere. this was acknowledged and the did give me a free meal. Apparently other rooms are larger.
During the day, particularly PM, there no staff there. They return just prior to bar opening early evening.
First thing in the morning staff were late twice, breakfast food not ready.
Early evening in the bar is full of reps and seasonaires, taking advantage of internet access. The free while you drink policy, plus discounted drinks for them.
There was entertainment, and noise until late.
It was busy at the weekend, people had booked in for meals, Friday and Saturday.
On the plus side:-
Food was good.
Overall, it could be much, much better. So just dissapointed really..... Sad
snow report
BMF_Skier, thanks for the heads up.
Just out of interest how near to the piste was the hotel.On the La Tania site it looks almost a stones throw from the piste that bisects the resort and runs down to the lifts?And subject to conditions it looks like you could get back to wthin 50m at the end of the day?
snow conditions
The piste passes within 50m of the road near the Telemark. I believe it is possible to get through from the piste but I always went down to the Pub Le ski lodge and walked back. In practise it's about a 10 min walk down and slightly longer back. You walk to an appt block that has a lift that takes you from the upper road level to the La Tania center. Other chalets behind the Telemark have the 'official' slope access.
ski holidays
3-V pass or Courch pass?

I'll probably go for the 3-Vs pass, whereas the group of mainly beginners or early intermediates will probably elect for the Courch pass. That said, how much varied skiing is there to occupy one on the smaller area pass?

Is boredom (relative obviously) or lack of sufficient challenge likely to be a factor for example?
latest report
 brian
brian
Luc, no, that shouldn't be a factor for anybody, let alone a beginner. Were Courchevel not linked to the rest of the 3Vs it would still be one of the largest ski areas in the alps. It's good fun to roam across the 3Vs but imo Courchevel is the best and most varied of the 3.
snow report
BMF_Skier,

Completely agree with your summary on The Telemark..

Bad
Not particularly clean--Sheets had blood on them..not mine..floor in room dirty
No staff around in afternoon til opening
Food passable just
Breakfast late twice..infact the bar had not been cleaned properly from the night before (that's where you have breakfast) when we got down there it stank
Cost ratchets up due to it not being not half board + supplements

Good
Excellent location
Will take short time odd day bookings

see below on a previous post

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=701461&highlight=telemark#701461

hedley,

You could try the Montana...search Hotel Montana La Tania

If its a boys/girls weekend then you'll be ok.

The hotel is a seasonaires joint if your on your own and your are there for a week plus your not a blond or Brad Pitt then they won't talk to you..if you are then crack on

My review of the Hotel was taken off the La Tania site by it's owner (it was 100% accurate just not a full endorsement) so I make sure I repeat it as often as possible, to prove taking it down was a mistake, stupid and dishonest..why ask for reviews if your only going to put up good ones when advertisers are involved.??

The hotel is actually ok (and I'm going back) but it is absolutely not what it claims i.e. Boutique hotel...

I stayed here at the weekend http://www.chateaudelacouronne.com/ That IS an boutique hotel....and the rates are similar (ok its not in a ski resort)..but it is what its says it is ..

Anyway that's that..can't wait for the next Hotels in La Tania..thread here or on any ski site I'm a member of..
latest report
brian, cheers. Just having a pre-ski dinner with the group! All getting pretty excited (not to mentioned a tad on the wine induced "relaxed" side!) TBH. Thats good advice - may be worth getting a day pass to get outside the area as I'd like to take a look at Val T and Meribels.
snow report
cfc5mu0,
If you look at the hotel reviewing site www.tripadvisor.co.uk There are 2 reviews of the Hotel Telemark that are rather polarised in their opinions. Maybe post on that site?
snow report
BMF_Skier,

Will do, thanks.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cfc5mu0, See you've posted on the tripadvisor site about the Telemark. Spot on description, almost exactly the same as my experience.
snow report
Nobody's mentioned Le Praz just down the road from La Tania. Lovely old village you can ski to and good for lunch or dinner. Well worth a visit.
snow conditions
skilegs, here's hoping for enough snow to be able to try Le Praz out - sounds charming.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy