Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
Can anybody advise what the queues are like at VT during February half term? Puzzled

We went at Xmas 2005/6 and it was great - the longest we had to wait was about 3 mins. Just planning next years trip and hate queueing Mad

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you hate queueing then Val Thorens is the last place I'd recommend over Feb. Half Term. Granted, I've never been, but the 3 valleys is a hugely popular area as is Val Thorens due to its altitude and at any time during February it will be VERY busy. Of course, with a bit of knowledge of the area the worst queues can always be avoided but why bother? If travelling at Feb. Half Term its the perfect excuse to try one of those smaller resorts that you've always wanted to try.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Markus, Went to Val Thorens midweek for a day at Easter. It was heaving. Lift queues and busy pistes. I thought it rather scary. Les Menuires on the other hand waqs far quieter.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

If you hate queueing then Val Thorens is the last place I'd recommend over Feb. Half Term. Granted, I've never been

As you have never been you have no idea what you are talking about.

Perhaps the small quiet resorts will be full of French kids on their half term, but since I have never been i wouldnt comment.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wazza, I think the crowded pistes are likely to be more of an issue than the queues. Most lifts (the Cime Caron cablecar definitely excluded!) don't develop very bad queues, and most queues move fairly quickly as the lifts tend to have high capacity.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
it's half term and a very 'british' french resort, its going to be busy and yes, i have been. Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, hence why i said at the start of the post that i havent been.

However, if the OP states "I HATE queueing", it doesnt take a genius to work out that maybe Val Thorens is not the place to go to at February half term. rolling eyes Just look at the other posts in this thread.

I appreciate that you are a local but would you recommend that someone who hates queueing goes to Val Thorens?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Markus wrote:
... someone who hates queueing goes to Val Thorens?

Just as an aside, is there anyone who loves queueing?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Markus, ok genius, where have you been skiing at feb half term that has no queueing and comperable high altitude.

Can you recommend one of your "smaller resorts" from first hand experience.?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We went to Val Thorens during Feb on our first ski trip. OK it wasn't UK half term but it was the French holidays and we were only beginners. But we did get about quite a bit and skied down to St Martin de Belleville. I can't remember any horrendous queues - or perhaps it was because I thought they were normal!

I think as with most resorts, those lifts at resort level will have the busiest queues - stay up and away from the main area and you should be fine! Get up early maybe, have an early lunch and then ski whilst everyone else is having theirs Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret, Why "comparable altitude"? wazza, does not specify altitude. Markus, was right in the spirit of what he said IMHO. One would presume that if wazza, does not like queues then (s)he will also not like
Quote:

I think the crowded pistes are likely to be more of an issue than the queues

There are many smaller french resorts that do not get so crowded at half term. I could certainly recommend La Rosiere/La Thuile, although the restaurants are always heaving at lunchtime.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, why do you think they went to VT in the first place? was it for the tree lined skiing and beautiful chocolate box chalets?

If you want empty pistes book a holiday at a low altitude austrian resort and watch the goats eat grass while you are having your lunch safe in the knowledge that there are no queues.

I am sorry but no queues and feb half term is a bit of a tall order, and although they didnt specify it i am guessing they went to Europes highest altitude resort to hopefully have a bit of snow.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, the restuarants are usually heaving because they are, for the most part, very good and terrific value. FTS is quite right, you don't have to go to low altitude resorts to avoid queues or to go to very high resorts for snow certainty. La Rosiere is consistently in the top 5 French resorts for snow cover and even at peak season we enjoy uncrowded pistes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, I would respectfully suggest that in mid Feb that very altitude resorts are not as vital as they would be at christmas for snow depth. I have been to VT when it was very busy and the whole group thought it so busy on the slopes that it was rather dangerous. We were lucky enough to be sunday - sunday and so left it until the quiet Saturday to return.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
VT at Easter been twice over the last 3 years

Very quick impressive lifts (as stated except for Cime Caron but at least you can take your skis off) but the slopes were packed, get up early and head high and try to avoid coming back to resort level for lifts,

the 4th valley was quiet when I was there, but this may of changed, avoid the lifts that connect valleys at peak times esp when you are trying to come home late as the Q's for the last half hour are pretty bad
snow report
There are a number of factors that affect queue length other than simply the popularity of a resort. So without direct experience, it might be unwise to opine too strongly wink

Other important factors affecting queue lengths include:
The ratio between resort beds and uplift capacity coupled with the ratio between tourist beds and private beds.
The specific layout of the lift system. i.e bottlenecks in certain places or at certain times of day.
The management of queuing / embarquation at busy times. e.g. single skier lines.
Vulnerability to substantial variation in conditions across the domain, either over the season or throughout the day.

The 3 valleys is indeed a very popular domain but it's hard to find a lift that isn't a high speed detachable. The capacity of these is huge compared to the old fixed chairs. I'm sure we've all, on occassion, been horrified at a huge queue for a lift we need, only to clear it in 5 or 6 minutes. Conversely one can join what seems like a short queue, to watch in frustration as chairs or bubbles depart half empty.
Val Thorens has put a lot of work into it's lift system and I understand, the lift co holds patents as a result of designing lifts ,in co-operation with manufacturers, to specifically suit VT's needs. The lifts and pistes are layed out well with many alternative routes making many bottlenecks avoidable with a little local knowledge.

However what goes up must come down and all those skiers being efficiently lifted, need pistes to descend. As FTS says, many pistes can get very busy but in my experience the only dauntingly hectic bit tends to be the wide open space in front of town into which many pistes feed.
But there are choices available. For example, the Cime de Caron cable car provides access to 3 good pistes and a good number of off-piste options. As the sole lift to access to this peak, these runs are never busy, however this is where compromise comes into play as the queue for the lift can be over half an hour at busy times.

One more point about last season in particular. After the Britsh and French press slated the snow conditions as terrible, many who were intent on going skiing tended to play it safe and go high. As Val Thorens markets itself specifically as the highest resort in Europe, it was a very popular choice last season, with beds scarce and many businesses citing it as their most successful ever.
Yes it's always popular but last season was somewhat busier than usual.
latest report
skimottaret, At February half term, tey are unlikely to find ANY recognised European ski resort without snow cover.

If they had been going in January, your point about that would have been valid, but not in late February.
snow conditions
Thanks for all your comments - theres nothing like a bit of banter to brighten up your day is there!

All things considered, I think I'll book La Thuile. Have to go at half term for family reasons, and had a great time at La Thuile in Feb this year. Very few queues at all and the booze is cheaper in Italy Toofy Grin .
snow report
wazza, Back of the net Very Happy snowHead Sound choice.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy