Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skins

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone used, using or intending to use?

http://skins.net/home.aspx?m=2

Specific link wrt to snow sports

http://www.skins.net/products.aspx?m=9

I asked a physio at my club who says plenty of people are using them post sport instead of ice baths etc

The blurb from the above website

How Skins™ work

Skins™ BioAcceleration Technology™ has been developed over years of scientific research. Ongoing testing of elite athletes have proven that Skins™ BioAcceleration Technology™ creates marked improvements in reducing the build-up of lactic acid immediately after periods of sustained exercise (2hrs and 15 mins up to 37% ), and allows for more rapid return to normal levels (up to 38% at 20 minutes). You experience less fatigue, minimise soreness and recover faster.

Skins™ is body-moulded compression performance equipment manufactured from the finest Lycra and Meryl Microfibre, scientifically engineered to provide support and muscle alignment to the smart-fabric covered area of your body. Skins™ will definitely change the way that you train and play as well as speed your recovery. You will feel fresher after heavy bouts of exercise and delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) will be minimised.

cheers,

Greg
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a set, bought as a present a couple of years ago. To be honest I couldn't comment on their claims because the only way to do a fair test seems to be to cut them in half and only wear them on one side of your body! I wasn't aware of any obvious benefits, although they do seem to be a snug extra layer if it's very cold.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ha ha, i raed the title of this thread and thought it would be about touring skins!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
beanie1, Laughing. Me too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beanie1 wrote:
ha ha, i raed the title of this thread and thought it would be about touring skins!

'ere you go

https://www.climbingskinsdirect.com/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof, that's better, thanks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, S&R have been selling them for a couple of years. I'd be concerned about their wicking ability especially as I couldn't see any figures re this on their site.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon wrote:
kitenski, S&R have been selling them for a couple of years. I'd be concerned about their wicking ability especially as I couldn't see any figures re this on their site.

I've not noticed any particular issue with wicking, or lack of, when I've worn them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon wrote:

Great wicking seems to be one of their big claims....

http://skins.net/default.aspx?m=4

I'm more intrigued by the claims to increase recovery post exercise,and reduce stiffness etc.

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
do they feel very tight when wearing? i like to be comfy clothing wise when skiing!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1 wrote:
do they feel very tight when wearing? i like to be comfy clothing wise when skiing!

When you first put them on they do feel very tight, but I soon forget that I'm wearing them.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
how much do they cost? is it like putting a wetsuit on, or not so bad?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1 wrote:
how much do they cost? is it like putting a wetsuit on, or not so bad?

Not cheap from what I recall. Never donned a wetsuit, so couldn't compare. Now, if you'd asked whether it was like putting on a rubber gimp outfit ... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar,
Quote:

Now, if you'd asked whether it was like putting on a rubber gimp outfit ...

Suits you sir wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
beanie1 wrote:
Me too!
ski holidays
beanie1 wrote:

from reading the blurb they should be tight, as they are applying some sort of compression. The S&R site says you can kip in them or wear them afterwards for a few hours to aid recovery post skiing.
snow report
kitenski,

If I'd been wearing them all day to ski in I'd want to take them off afterwards, eewww!!
ski holidays
beanie1 wrote:
kitenski,

If I'd been wearing them all day to ski in I'd want to take them off afterwards, eewww!!

yeh reckon they expect you to buy a "few" pairs Wink
snow report
Quite happy with my micro fleece base layers with air being the best insulator/regulator so no tight fit much required, IMV.

I'd think a good warm down/stretch regime would achieve the same....or a few bears...Laughing

And I thought it was also about climbing skins... Good link from the U.S up there
ski holidays
I have 2 sets. One i use on the slopes and one set as pyjamas when i am away on a trip!

Sounds a bit excessive, i nkow, but i genuinely wake up in the morning minus the aches and pains that i have been previously used to.

They cost abot £50 a piece but,personally, i find the benefits huge and i am sure i ski longer through the day without the build up of lactics etc.
snow report
letitsnow, Good to hear some positive feedback on 'Skins' - I must admit I was a bit dubious about their claims when I first heard about them a year or so ago.

Aside to this thread ......

JT, .... I get skins delivered from Climbing Skins Direct when I have got a reasonable order - great value when 4-6 sets ordered.
snow report
letitsnow,

How tight do they feel? And how warm are they?
latest report
cheers letitsnow, seems to back up what my physio thinks...

very tempted for post hockey, circuit training and skiing!

Do you find them 'hot' as pyjamas? I tend to sleep without pyjamas normally, as I get quite hot...

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
Looks like something that should be worn with the underpants on the outside.
latest report
Quote:

How tight do they feel? And how warm are they?

They need to feel tight to compress the muscles, although as previously stated the you soon forget they are on you, particularly when active.
Quote:

Do you find them 'hot' as pyjamas? I tend to sleep without pyjamas normally, as I get quite hot...

I don't usaully wear pyjamas eithey but in the normal chalet/hotel environment i found them plenty warm enough.

As said before, the pleasure is waking up as the aches i previously experienced were just not there!
snow report
letitsnow,

might give them a try! ALthough i normally find the chalet / hotel a lot hotter than my own home. But waking up without aches sounds worth it!
snow report
JT wrote:
I'd think a good warm down/stretch regime would achieve the same....or a few bears...Laughing

Bears????? The mind boggles Laughing
latest report
maggi, .... my humble guess would be ..."beers" ..... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BernardC, I prefer the mental image of him cooling down with a few bears for company Twisted Evil
snow conditions
maggi,

Only you..it is always only you... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Everyone else know what I meant which is why I didn't bother with an edit.

Hot toddy bears..pick the bones out of those spellings mistakes...... conjures up all sorts Laughing

And don't make me go for a spell/grammar check
ski holidays
maggi wrote:
BernardC, I prefer the mental image of him cooling down with a few bears for company Twisted Evil

Like in the book The Butcher & Other Erotica by Alina Reyes?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Butcher-Other-Erotica-Alina-Reyes/dp/0802134505/ref=sr_1_1/202-4348809-5147061?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190921324&sr=1-&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
well I just checked out the Skins website, Talk about "Flashturbation"? They need a new web designer...I think the old one must've gone blind by now. Just because you can animate. etc. doesn't mean you should.
snow conditions
I must admit I'm a little skeptical. All the attributes other than gradient compression are found in many technical underwear - to similar effect. What I found particularly funny was the SPF50 sunblock.

Like I am so going to burn my shoulders through my: technical underwear, grade 100 fleece, grade 200 fleece (even if it is an R2 and so quite "holey") and 3 layer goretex shell.

I note that the external research quoted refers to "Gradient Controlled Stockings". A medical aid. And with such a sexy name too. I wonder why they went for the terribly boring "Skins" when "gradient controlled stockings" would be so much more appealing. I wonder whether you couldn't get the same effects much cheaper on prescription?
snow report
Quote:

I must admit I'm a little skeptical. All the attributes other than gradient compression are found in many technical underwear - to similar effect. What I found particularly funny was the SPF50 sunblock.

Like I am so going to burn my shoulders through my: technical underwear, grade 100 fleece, grade 200 fleece (even if it is an R2 and so quite "holey") and 3 layer goretex shell.

They have been created and designed at the aussie institute of sport where the need for this may be greater.
latest report
letitsnow, could be...
snow conditions
I have a long-standing and intermittently troublesome hamstring injury, for which my physiotherapist (who is a sports physio and herself a competitive fencer) recommended that I should wear leggings of this sort when exercising. She mentioned the make called under armour which is significantly cheaper than Skins. They're a bit of hassle to get on, but once on are comfortable, non-sweaty and definitely minimise the pain I experience.
snow report
i use under armour kit, love them
ski holidays
I've been looking around at all sorts of compression kit, Adidas, Nike and under armour do them, but I could not find any long leggings (that were thin) from anyone but skins. Under armour had some in the UK shops, but they were the under armour "cold" range, and seeing as I want to wear them post sport, around the house. I felt they would be too warm.

So I stumped up for some skins. I can say that they work well. I had my first league hockey game on Saturday, and wore them overnight. Next day, no stiffness, I can tell my legs have been "used" hard, and usually I would expect to feel stiff, so very pleased!

graeme/hurtle - if you find anywhere with under armour "hot" tights, please let me know!!

cheers,

greg
snow conditions
kitenski, online stores have had the cr-x tights at pretty good prices lately...
snow report
little tiger, Link?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy