Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jackson Hole

Poster: A snowHead
Just booked 17 nights in Jackson hole - well the flight anyway so if anyone has any advice on where to stay and get reasonable lift passes from etc it would be really appreciated

142 sleeps to go Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Helen LS wrote:
Just booked 17 nights in Jackson hole - well the flight anyway so if anyone has any advice on where to stay and get reasonable lift passes from etc it would be really appreciated

142 sleeps to go Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

very good idea - Jackson is a great place. Hope to make it out there myself this year if snow is good. I've only ever stayed at the Best Western in Teton Village, which I like for being 150m from lifts and has a fun hot tub.

I'd recommend at least a couple of days at Grand Targhee. It's gets better and more snow than Jackson in general, and while the terrain is not as varied, there's some great lines there for exploration, and when there's a storm (often), pow can last for days, especially midweek. A nice hike-to zone on Mary's peak is well worth the effort in deep stuff. (used to be called Mary's Nipple but this upset the local god-fearing crew. Good job they don't speak French, and know what the Grand Tetons means.)

You can daytrip from Jackson or just pop over and stay - some good reasonable price accommodation at the base. It's very quiet - eastern Idaho is Mormon potato farming country - but a great place to ski hard, drink beers in saloon afterwards, hit hot tub and steak house and have an early night ready for pow the next day Madeye-Smiley. Go midweek and you'll know everyone on the hill in 3 days. I've had a couple of epic powder days there - fresh, knee deep lines all day long.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen LS, There was a good discussion about Jackson Hole in this thread.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gortonator, you've got to be joking re Mary's Nipple and Grand Targhee being prudish. This is the place with runs called Wild Willy and Nast Gash !! That said I would back you up re a couple of days at GT. I had one of most enjoyable days on skis at the place.

Helen LS, it would mean an early start but you should be able to do Yellowstone for a day. Really not to be missed. I'd suggest staying at the base. Jackson Hole is great ski area and you can ski pretty much all of it, if you're good enough (I wasn't). I didn't suceed in finding a line on cheap lift tickets. I'll PM some info. I kept
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nickski,
Quote:

Nast Gash

OK, enlighten me, please!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nickski wrote:
gortonator, you've got to be joking re Mary's Nipple and Grand Targhee being prudish. This is the place with runs called Wild Willy and Nast Gash !! That said I would back you up re a couple of days at GT. I had one of most enjoyable days on skis at the place.

That's what a local told me when I was hiking up there. Check the trail map - it used to say Mary's Nipple but now I think it just says marys?

Nast Gash is beyond me too. And willie doesn't tend to have the usual UK connotations in the US - I bet it's named after someone. I know a few Willie's at work, so to speak ... Confused
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen LS, Helen - If you want cheap but good in the town, try the Ranch Inn. We are going there for the 5th time over xmas/new year. Some really cheap rooms also available in lots of motels on the road towards the hill. Out at the JH hill itself (I am guessing you know about the layout) cheap accommodation is harder to find. For the town, winter is the low season (In summer the town is where many visitors to Yellowstone stay). For the hill winter is the high season.

We have had very cheap lift pass deals via Ski Independence saving bucket loads - e mail them and get a quote. They deliver to where you are staying. Usually save about 20-25% on adult passes and get the kids passes thrown in for free.

Grand Targhee is worth at least one day - especially a day or two after a powder day - as it may hold up better there with fewer skiers - but you can get good bus-and-pass deals from JH, so no need to stay there.

Snow King mountain (the JH town hill) is steep and good for locals race training but probably for visitors is best if you can only spend a half day on a hill.

Lots of great places to eat either cheap (eg Bubbas) or expensive.

How are you flying in?

feel free to pm me
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hi stoats. I'm Helen's ski partner and she's off camping for a few days so perhaps I can answer the question.

We're both flying in via godawful routes which get us in to Jackson at 21:30 via Denver, were planning to just jump in a cab/bus down to Jackson itself.

We haven't decided on the hotel yet - there seem to be a few which throw breakfast in too. Although we'd like to be near the slopes - there's also the appeal of town/restaurants as we're not planning to get a hire car.

I've phoned the tourist office in Jackson and they can do us a pretty good deal on a room/lift pass combination but we're still umming and aahing about where exactly to go.

Helen has read somewhere about a bar in jackson which has saddles rather than bar stools - does that ring any bells for you? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alexandra, that's the millionaire cowboy. Tacky central, but worth going to at least once!

There are some hotels/restaurants at Teton (and plenty of nightlife), but there's more options if you stay in Jackson.
Also, hop on to EpicSki and get in contact with Bob Peters. A true gentleman and a great mountain guide.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle, typo s/b Nasty Gash > all clear ??
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wear The Fox Hat, not much more options in town, it's certainly no Whistler.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nickski, I think you are wrong. About 30 options in town/outskirts. About 6 at the hill plus the hostel.
Alexandra, If you are coming in via Denver, consider packing your ski boots and some ski wear in your hand luggage, especially if coming via Chicago as well. You have a 50:50 chance of having some luggage delayed if the weather is bad.

The Parkway Inn is nice. The Cowboy village is where the SCGB rep stays and is apparently cheap and clean. Avoid staying in any of the ones at the bottom of Snow King, inconvenient for the rest of the town. Most - but not all - of the accommodation at the hill is pretty costly/

Taxi from airport to town is easy, and JH airport is very fast at dealing with luggage (and delayed luggage...) , but if you are staying in town, you will need the START bus to the hill, although the buses work well. Car hire is pretty painless and gives you other options.

CountingHelen LS's sleeps on my finger suggest you will be there in early february - this was - last year the "january Value season" for passes (1/1/07-16/2/07) and Ski Independence were doing 14 out of 18 day passes for £394 (plus one free child if you take one. The dollar is weaker this year (so far) but bear this in mind when you do a deal on room and lodging. Also - don't forget 6% sales tax may be excluded from any quote. Last year a standard room with two queen beds at the Ranch Inn was about £35 for two including a (limited) buffet breakfast. It is so cheap that this year we are having a suite and a double room for the family. Depends what you are after.

There is some good backcountry (really sidecountry?) skiing which SCGB reps who know the area will sometimes ski with people who have the right kit and skills. The club site is down at the moment, but I am pretty sure I have skied with two of the reps going there this year who are really good blokes. (Barry and Paul)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good idea about the boots stoats, although I'm going in a day early (via washington) as I wanted a day to acclimatise, get my boots punched etc. Helen is coming in off night shifts so won't have jetlag - the cow! Wink

Edit: Last time I was in Chicago - Jan 2002(?) we had to pick up our luggage from our transatlantic flight and check it in again for our "local" flight - do you know if that's still the case?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alexandra, I believe that is the case wherever you fly into from the uk, you clear immigration, then pick up luggage then clear customs and agriculture before dumping your bags at a transit check-in point. Painful at Chicago. I haven't done this at Denver since they moved to DIA, and tend to come in at DFW.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would ( and do) stay at the Best Western in the town of Jackson. Bus stop nearby. Plenty of restaurants, bars, Ski rentals shops nearby. 30 min to JH resort. 1 hour drive to GT. if you are staying 17 days - you may want to take a break and go to Yellowstone national park also. Its beautiful. God's country.

Hopefully you won't run into Dick Cheney:-(
snow report
Alexandra, I see the SCGB rep out there in early feb is Tony Whiting who is a really nice chap. I think he led a holiday I was on with Achilles some years ago.
latest report
mrpow - should I run in to Mr Cheney then I shall be using him as a "landing mat" at the bottom of Corbet's! Wink

30 mins to JH from Best Western? s*d that, we got so sick of the long bus from Banff to Lake Louise last year although we had looked at that hotel online and liked the look of it. Sad

I'm wary of SCGB, skiied with a rep a few years ago and wasn't particularly impressed - although that may have had more to do with the larch bunch of clinging muppets.
latest report
stoatsbrother wrote:
Alexandra, I see the SCGB rep out there in early feb is Tony Whiting who is a really nice chap. I think he led a holiday I was on with Achilles some years ago.

I think so, too. Really nice chap - and a good skier, of course.
snow report
Alexandra,
Jackson Hole is the area. The town of Jackson is the main population centre and where most people stay and where most restaurants and shops etc are and is 30mins by bus, 20 by car from Teton Village which is where the main hill is. You can be right in the centre of the town and have to get to the hill, or out at the hill and therefore need to come into town for better shops, restaurants etc, or at places like the hotel Mrpow mentions (confusingly there is also a Best Western at Teton village... "the Inn at Jackson Hole") which are on the way out of jackson towards Teton Village.

I agree with you about buses - which is why for LL we stay in LL itself, and for JH we hire a car. Since Jackson really started expanding over the last 10-12 years, the bus ride takes longer as they have put more stops on it.

I don't think you will find huge groups going round with a club rep at JH. Never been in a group of more than 6 there, and most of them pretty decent skiers.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 18-09-07 20:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
FWIW I stayed in Teton when I went over new year, decided I was there to ski, so stayed near the hill, got the bus a few times to eat out/wander around Jackson and it was fine.

We are not big party people, and given the choice again I'd stay in Teton village....

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, Maybe misunderstanding (?) my reference was to nightlife. The Million Dollar place, the pool hall adjacent, the place round the side towards ski area and the pub on the way in. And some place that had an Alice In Wonderland party we managed to hear about.
snow conditions
666, now I know who you are... Toofy Grin
latest report
stoatsbrother wrote:
666, now I know who you are... Toofy Grin

Shot himself in the foot somewhat there Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Wow thanks for all the replies and info Smile and pm's you are all super stars !!!!!!!!!

I guess there is some sort of "in joke" with 666 & WTFT ??????????????

Anyway camping was lovely although monday night in the lake district was soooo cold in my little tent but the fells were beautiful yesterday and also in response to Alexandras comment that I am lucky to be coming off nights so wont have jet lag will any other shift workers please support me in stating how horrific nights are Sad
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, to be honest it's fairly well known. 666 was a joke that originated for a particular thread. It's now an elaborate joke in progress.

I have it set as my home 'id'. I am Nickski.
ski holidays
Alexandra, Helen LS, stoatsbrother

Where did you find your flights? Considering hitting the area myself around Xmas but contemplating flying to SLC then driving to Jackson & maybe Montana. Just have abit of reluctance to commit myself before snow starts falling unless there are some real bargain flights out there (which are always rare around Xmas period).

stiatsbrother - how does the lack of tram affect skiing/access/lines at peak periods , can't remember whether it was closed before last season?
snow conditions
Hurtle, American word for female genitals...
snow conditions
fatbob, I'm going with United out of Brussels via washington & denver, coming back via chicago and munich.

Helen is going a combination of bmi/united via jfk & denver, coming back chicago and heathrow (I think!).

"Kindest" route for me was aa, but it meant an overnight stop in Chicago which I was fine about... but aa.com wouldn't accept my Belgian credit card and americanairlines.be couldn't find the flights! Shocked rolling eyes

The new tram/car is being/has been built this summer.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But as I understand it the new tram will only be operational from the 08/9 season.
snow conditions
Then we shall be buying wings.
ski holidays
Alexandra wrote:
Then we shall be buying wings.

No need there is a chairlift option

http://www.jacksonhole.com/info/jhpressreleases/jhpressreleases.080906.release.asp
snow conditions
Ok I got my flight for the bargainous price of £303 flying BMI manchester to chicago and then united to denver and united onto Jackson coming back is a lot easier united from Jackson upto chicago and then chicago onto Manchester !! I have then actually got three days to recover before going back to work as I got into serious trouble this year for being back in work 12 hours after my canada flight landed and being fit for nothing Sad

So hopefully this year I have used the shifts and time zones to my advantage finish work at 7am straight to Manchester for a 10.30 am flight and hopefully sleep all the way to chicago ...................

www.greenbee.com was the cheapest place I could find my flights and I am quite pleased considering I paid £330 in 1999 for a return to denver
snow conditions
fatbob, We are doing Gatwick > Dallas > Jackson with American, which works well, but at xmas costs three arms and three legs... Believe me you do not want to know the price. Santa will not be visiting this year.

Helen LS, A great time of the year to go, and a good price.
snow report
stoatsbrother, Thanks I cant wait to be honest I just have to hope that I dont pick up anymore injuries this year non are skiing related so my legs seem ok at the moment hopefully they can stay that way for the 137 sleeps and 17 days on jolliday ?

And that only leaves me to decide whether my trusty 14 year old TNF mountain jacket can survive another trip and what skis to buy and should I wait till I get there my 5* hopefully wont be suited to the conditions I am going to find Smile Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy