Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What age to buy boots for teenagers?

Poster: A snowHead
Help my son is 18 next month and we are considering buying him boots.
However we are worried that his feet might still grow.
Does anyone have any advice, PLEASE.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
karen, Sorry I don't have any advice but I have two 13 year olds who are constantly badgering me to buy them gear - don't think I can put them off for another 5 years!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Goodness I'd get him the boots - I had my own from the age of about 14/15 and my daughter has her own and she's 8.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Does this mean you haven't bought him any shoes yet? Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
karen, Lockwoods, Leamington Spa
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
karen, Check out snow and rock, when your children have grown out of their boots they exchange them for a new pair giving you a generous trade in price on the old boots.#
Lockwoods may do a similar deal.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^ Personally I'd go for somewhere like Lockwoods over Snow and Rock, whilst their staff are decent enough their bootfitting expertise is in my experience variable.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is that months or years?

Can't imagine my 5-year-old (apologies, he's now 6), not using his own boots.

Come to think of it, he's *always* had his own boots. Not many hire shops cater for the 2yo.

PS Lockwoods offer kit exchange as well, they just don't publicise it as much as S&R.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
karen, I'm 18 and on my second pair of boots
(though I've financed them myself)

I personally don't think my feet will get much bigger (or at least hope not at size 11 already)

the only problem ive had with the boots I got a year ago, is that I lost quite a bit of weight, and my ankles and feet are now skinnier, leaving me with a baggy boot.
which is really annoying to say ive only skiied about 3 weeks in them.

Even if he needs them changing at some point, it's worth getting his own if he wants to improve his skiing, the right boots are very important pieces of kit.

Also, as other people suggest, Lockwoods get a very very good review from alot of snowheads, and Glide + Slide which are local to me have my vote.

(p.s as soon as you get him boots he might want skis too.......) Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone.
It looks like its boots and also skis for his 18th then. Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
karen, Sorry, he's 18, god buy him boots and get it done properly, a good bootfiter will be able to build a little growth space in the boots and without wishing to generalise, in most cases his feet should have finished growing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For what it is worth our son, now nearly 18, has had his own boots for 3 years. On the other hand he is still wearing the same cricket helmet he had when he was 7! I don't think either end has grown much, if at all, but they have separated by over 1.80m now!

snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

he is still wearing the same cricket helmet he had when he was 7

and box?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w Shocked Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I never had my own boots or 'owt. I'm 19 and looking to get some of my own boots because its financially viable to do so.... 3 weeks + this year Very Happy and my feet have stopped growing.....
snow conditions
My son (13) has just bought his a new board (Burton Blunt) and skis (Public Enemys) for the coming season. He has yet to buy the boots though! Looks as if these will be Christams presents this year!!
snow report
I've been skiing all my life and didn't get boots til I was 17.

Which is think is fair enough as my feet were growing. Very Happy
snow report
Fogliettaz, how many times are you going to the mountains this year?
latest report
Once your feet have stopped growing, surely thats not it. I mean, they are not set in stone for the rest of your life. Don't they change as you age? all be it at a much slower rate. I'm sure one of the zookeepers could enlighten me Confused
latest report
ickabodblue, The balence of Collgen and Elastatine changes over the period of your life so feet will flatten in old age giving you the perception of feet growing in length (the falling of the arch gives length to your foot). Only pregnancy has a dramatic effect on foot structure during adulthood, as well as accidents and cetrain diseases.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I'll blame the kids then Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
ickabodblue, Why not, my parents did, it's costing me a fortune in drugs and therapy now! Laughing
latest report
My daughters 15&13 are on their third pairs of boots, each manage to get on average 18 months per pair just makes life easier the boots at the local Dry Slope are not very pleasant and makes life easier when in resort as we all have own boots and skis we can spend time skiing rather than waiting in Ski Hire Shop. At the moment whilst they are still in children's boots prices are not too bad either I am not looking forward to when they move into adult boots although hopefully by then they will last a bit longer.
snow conditions
A shoe shop fitter(well respected) told me that boys feet can grow until age 21, I gave in and bought at the 20th birthday as the son's feet had not grown for two years.
ski holidays
janette, It's true, but a minority.
snow report
Will Stanton, We will have about 10 days over Christmas/New Year and the same again over Easter and hopefully a long weekend somewhere in between! as my son lives and breathes both skiing and snowboarding!! Whilst my daughter also a very good skier would rather be shopping in Val d'Isere!! Looks like a good season in prospect judging by the webcams today!
snow report
Fingers crossed! Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy