Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gap Courses - Not for Instructors?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
skimottaret,

Ha ha, yes I did follow that one! Heard stuff about it elsewhere too, but chose not to join in. I'd rather not get involved in rows like that, particularly if it involves named individuals. To be honest I find most of the debates in the Bend Ze Knees section tiresome, I love skiing and teaching skiing, but I think some of those "debates" are enough to put anyone off!!

I get your point on the central theme stuff - but i'd take a bet that if they had faults in their central theme demos they would also be there in their own high end skiing. I'd be interested to hear an example of someone who's technically excellent at high end skiing, but can't demo the basics, I don't think I've ever seen one. That's not to say of course that to the untrained eye they might look great in the steeps, deeps and the park!!

Failing on the teaching of course, is an entirely different matter and more related to attitude to learn to teach, than technical ability. But at grade 3 - is the teaching element really that hard?!?! Not really, no one expects you to be brilliant after 70 hours shadowing. When my group passed (100% of us!!) we were told by the Trainer to now go away and learn to teach skiing. Bit like passing your driving test.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

related to attitude to learn to teach

I think it was more of that as they seemed genuinely bored and dis-interested, not wanting to work at the central theme stuff. I'm sure some of the problem may have been with poor technique from their high end skiing transferring into their demos but didnt see them ski so cant really comment on their ability.

I know what you mean about the tech section, sometimes it seems to be about point scoring and making others look foolish instead of learning new things....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
parlor wrote:
rungsp wrote:
Anyway what is wrong with trophy hunting?

There is an Impala and Widerbeest on my wall, and a Kudu and Duiker in the salt.

I rather like trophy hunting!

He really means this.

And?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret,

More than anything else, 10 pages on whether a pole is planted at the end or beginning of a turn is quite dull!! Whatever happened to KISS?!?!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gap Courses - I agree with a lot of the above, this year I had to shadow a gap program and I have to say the thing that struck me the most was the wide range of standards. We had 4 GAP programs running and the levels ranged from 2/3 people who would breeze a CSIA level 2 exam to 10 people who wouldn't look out of place falling into the wall at the Snowdome. I may get the chance to run one of these courses in the near future and for my own sake I wish there was a minimum standard i.e. at least able to ski green runs!!!

As for the candidates I don't think you can say its all the rich kids, we had a mix of ages and reasons for taking the course from mid life crisis to a month or 2 away from the missus to just an excuse to get drunk on daddy's credit card.

I also have to agree with a few comments that some of the best instructors I have worked with have come through the GAP program and are now several seasons into their ski careers and a few are now CSIA level 3's.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
slikedges, Parlor is right.

And I am 100% sure that he means nothing at all by it....he is not averse to a bit of sport at all!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
theskidoctor,

The majority of the BASI courses do have a minimum standard - although this varies depending on the provider. BASI themselves say 16 weeks on snow and able to ski confident parallel on blacks and off piste. It is my understanding that most of the Canadian Gap courses don't have a minimum standard - yo ucan be a beginner at the start? But the CSIA L1 is more achievable as an entry level than BASI 3 (now Instructor L2...), and the better skiers go on to get their CSIA L2 as well.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy