Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does your teenager wear a helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
Could anyone help out on this one? When skiing as a youngster (mostly in France or Austria) my son wore a helmet without complaint - I think there was a legal requirement anyway especially when having lessons. In more recent years he has only been wearing a hat. He is 14 now and a pretty good skier but in common with most lads his age is far more adventurous than me on the slopes and I would prefer him to wear a helmet again. Do most teenagers in your experience wear helmets and for that matter what about the grown ups?!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
loatie, do you?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From what I see around the Tarentaise helmet wearing teens are still in the minority, but increasing numbers. More wear them in the park, but not exclusively; in fact probably not even in the majority. The local race clubs all wear them.

Adults wearers are also in the minority (less than 20%?), but also growing in number.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
loatie, I'd echo Mosha Marc. I wear a helmet, as it happens, not least because I find it comfortable and warm. I do get very fed up seeing families out cycling with kids in helmets and mums and dads bare-headed. Do they think the family could cope better with them being brain-injured?

Only one of my (grown up, youngest 24) kids wears a helmet, and then only when he is off-piste. But they grew up before the era of helmets. Looking around me now (France) I am frequently struck by the fact that it is generally the younger, more adventurous, more competent and more cool-looking slope users who are wearing helmets (except me, that is, as I don't fit any of those categories!).

But it has to be the right helmet. Some of them are dork-territory. Mine is a Giro 9 with sound pads; maybe having piped music would appeal to your son? Get one for yourself, so he can see how cool it is to have music without fiddling around with earphones. Surround sound.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
After skiing last year everyone seems to be wearing helmets. I've got one and I don't know what I'd do without it, it's already got a slight dint from a tumble I took off piste

As all the pros, Paddy Graham etc.., are wearing them now I'd think you're got a strong argument for your son. Plus they're so lightweight you forget your wearing it
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Both my children 13 & 14 both wear helmets without any fuss. I also wear one and would not leave home without it!! However my wife does not and always seems to buy at least one new hat every time we travel to a different resort away from Ste Foy.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Only when racing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Before anyone starts, they're both over 18 now! Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mine are 11 & 12 and are both happy to wear lids. Both have had a few bangs on the noggin when falling and appreciate the protection. I wear a lid, apart from when it is to hot.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kids aged 11,13,16 all wear them. Grew up using them as its a condition of lessons in Canada. I bought one last year for first time and will continue to use it this year.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My brother is 15, he wears one. Makes him look bad-ass apparently!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm 36 and wear one, makes me look bad-ass. (Not really)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
France seems to have a lower proportion of lid-wearing than Switzerland or St Anton (only place in Austria I've been vaguely recently). Probably because the proportion of Brits is higher? I reckon a over 50% of peeps on our regular Swiss slopes are wearing helmets (just from observation, not a scientific estimate!)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My daughters 13 and 15 both wear them. They both race regularly so are used to wearing helmets they have slalom helmets with chinguards for racing through poles and Roxy "fashion" helmets at other times. My wife and I also wear helmets.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
loatie, as Pam said, if you don't wear one, it's hard to make them do it too.

I wear one both because I make my kids do it and because I can't think of any good reason not to. (and cos I'm core)

It's also good to whack the kids on the head with your poles when passing them on paths - which makes helmets an even better idea for them.
snow conditions
my 13 year old does but after 2 concussions on piste dad still only wants to wear mine when off piste. dumb really.
ski holidays
Quote:

dad still only wants to wear mine when off piste. dumb really.

do you carry it in your back pack and stop and put it on before venturing outside the poles? Someone was complaining the other day that when his helmet was in his back pack it tended to push him too far forward on chairlifts.... rolling eyes
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

dad still only wants to wear mine when off piste. dumb really.

do you carry it in your back pack and stop and put it on before venturing outside the poles? Someone was complaining the other day that when his helmet was in his back pack it tended to push him too far forward on chairlifts.... rolling eyes

Carrying helmets.

It's such a bulky item there's no easy way to carry it. To me, the best way to carry a helmet is on one's head. Wink

I've often seen cyclists have their helmets dangling on their handlebar. I do wonder why they even bother (having one) at all. Puzzled
latest report
pam w, depends who i am skiing with really and where we are planning to go. If there are going to be traverses, gullys and rocks i will put the helmet on and wear it until it gets baking hot then strap it to the pack. a couple friends say that once you wear one for a week or so you feel naked without it so i am going to try real hard this year to wear it more....
snow report
My kids are still young - we are all wearing helmets - the kids because of their age are not allowed on the slope without one, I wear one to set a good example and because it adds confidence - everything else mildly hazardous that I do gets protective headgear so why not skiing. I hope if they grow up wearing one they won't think twice when they are older, but I note that train of thought has not panned out for you.

I think the advice already posted is really good., i.e. Set an example by wearing one yourself and make sure your son's is a fashion accessory as well as being protective. There are some threads around on here that show helmets with really great airbrush style paint jobs - skull and crossbones etc. Something along those lines may be more appealing than a standard Giro.
latest report
I wear a helmet (I'm 39) partly as I'm trying to set a good example for my kids, but also as I fell over a lot when learning to board. Now it just makes sense.

Coupled to that I had a bike accident in my teens resulting in 6" crack in head and (according to parents) life threatening I don't want to push my luck
snow conditions
Quote:

I fell over a lot when learning to board.

That's exactly why I got mine, but I wear it all the time now.
ski holidays
I don't wear a helmet when skiing, cycling or walking. Guess I'm just a wild and crazy fool Shocked

I let my 15-18 year old kids make their own choices. I must be a bad parent too. Embarassed

Time was when you didn't have to wear a helmet on a motorbike, Seems to me they'll soon be mandatory while watching TV rolling eyes
snow report
I wear a helmet, didn't like the idea but in Switzerland when i skiied with the school my parents were adamant. Ending up with a concussion and cant remember three days of my life, since then I'm adamant of wearing a helmet. I'm at the skill level now where I need a helmet, everytime I'm on the snow I try to push myself further and further, thus risking injury more.

Tell your son that only a pansy ass biiiatch who can only snow plough doesn't NEED a helmet. Should win him over.
latest report
My brother fell off his board this year and used his head as a brake. Result - convulsions/fitting whilst unconscious, bleed in the brain, straight into hosptal and accompanied by a doctor on the flight back. His helmet (purchased that morning) saved is life. Blood wagon people said so, paramedics said so, surgeons said so.
snow conditions
I wasn't keen on wearing a helmet until a couple of years ago (currently being 18 ). You can get some pretty cool ones, and rather than making you look like a dork, they make you look adventurous.
I took a day off from wearing a helmet the last time I was skiing, and avoided the park. It happened to be the one day that I went head over tips and smacked my head.
I think that unless he's in the park or you're really worried he'll do something crazy, you need to leave it to him to work out for the moment though. He will pick up on the idea.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 12-09-07 21:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I must protest DO NOT LEAD BY EXAMPLE. Its less persuasive than you might think. By all means stay safe yourself, but trust me it won't help get your son to wear one at all (it might even do the opposite)
snow report
tequilaslammer! Very Happy

Teenagers are more influnced by their peer than their parents. I'm surprise there're fewer of them wear helmet than I would have thought. Teenager boarders were the first group to wear helmets on the mountain way back when, while zero adults did back then.

But now that more and more adults start wearing helmets, teenagers start to stay away from it! It's un-cool to wear the same kit as their parents, after all! Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc, well put.
snow report
2 x 13 year olds both wear helmets. Have been bullied into buying more expensive and hip ones though.
snow report
I decided to save myself some pennies and ask for a new helmet for christmas last year.

I'm forking out for a nice one this year.
ski holidays
if they are youngish girl teenagers the stick on ears or tails seem to work....
snow report
austin7 wrote:
My brother fell off his board this year and used his head as a brake. Result - convulsions/fitting whilst unconscious, bleed in the brain, straight into hosptal and accompanied by a doctor on the flight back. His helmet (purchased that morning) saved is life. Blood wagon people said so, paramedics said so, surgeons said so.
'nuff said. Hope he is ok now.
ski holidays
He is, but it took a while - and I think he is still medically banned from more impact-likely sports, eg football, cricket etc.
ski holidays
7 and 4 year olds are easy - they want to wear the same the same helmet that mummy does and both wanted Snowheads stickers on theirs just like mummy had stuck on hers.
ski holidays
Megamum, awwww.
ski holidays
Megamum, make the most of it. When mine were that age I got all their gear in charity shops....
latest report
loatie, remember the golden rule - he who has the gold makes the rules - if he wants to ski/board and wants you to pay for it, surely you can make it an agreed precondition?
snow report
Quote:

he who has the gold makes the rules -

was just thinking the same thing myself. You can't "make" him wear a helmet, but he can't "make" you take him skiing, either. Kids need rules; he's 14! However, I wouldn't personally be happy getting heavy about helmet wearing if I didn't wear one myself, despite the perfectly valid points made by tequilaslammer. At one point my kids had the cheek to moan when I proposed coach travel to save money on a family holiday. "No problem," I said, "the flight's only an extra £60 each; save your allowance and pay the extra". They all came on the coach... Poor, deprived little things, not being allowed to dictate the mode of travel for a ski holiday.
ski holidays
Both my teenagers wear helmets, they always have. So do we parents.
Like a car seatbelt, after you are used to it you feel naked without it.
I have no doubt they will continue to wear a helmet....his best ski-friend had a bad crash last season and was told he would be dead except for his helmet and prompt medical attention. That made a big impression on all concerned.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy