Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jan / Feb interlaken, switzerland ski holiday with 3 kids under 7

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
We are hoping to go skiing either the 3rd week in Jan or the 3rd week in Feb. Our 3 kids are under 7 and have never skied. Both my husband and myself are intermediate level but have never been to switzerland. What is the average temperature for those dates? A bit concerned that Jan could be too cold for the kids. I have only ever skied in Jan so don't know if feb would be better. Which date would you go?
thanks,
ski holidays
 brian
brian
adub, welcome to snowHead s

There isn't much difference between average air temps in Jan or Feb and you are as likely to hit an unusually mild or severe cold spell in either month. However, February is more likely to feel warmer because the sun gets a bit higher and hence less shadows.

January will be a lot quieter but February will have had longer for snow accumulation so conditions on average would probably be better.

On balance I'd go for February.

btw, Interlaken involves a fair bit of travelling to get up to the snow, possibly worth considering somewhere a bit closer to the slopes ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
adub,

Welcome to Snowheads!

I'd echo what Brian says and look at staying in Wengen (the middle of the 3 resorts so best placed to get to Grindelwald or Murren).

I used to go Wengen as a child of about 3 or 4 in January (a LONG time ago!) and don't remember finding the cold a particular problem - the resort isn't that high, and young children won't be up on the highest slopes with ski school
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
adub, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead
I would echo the comments about why stay in Interlaken? One option (which I have done) is to stay in Lauterbrunnen - you then have the choice of Wengen on one side of the valley and Murren on the other side Very Happy . Also the hotels are cheaper there than Interlaken (or Wengen & Murren)
I can recommend the Hotel Schutzen - very good food and friendly staff.

PS If you do want to visit Interlaken for a day, the train from Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken is included in the regional ski pass.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 10-09-07 19:51; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you have kids in tow adub, you want to be as close to the piste as possible. Forget Interlaken:- lovely place but absolutely miles & miles from the slopes.

Jan generally cheaper than Feb, but Feb generally warmer. Take your pick. Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
come in january, especially just after the race, feb is full of idiots.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replies. They are very helpful. We definately will look into the other resorts.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't forget balaclavas to go under the kids helmets!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
adub, I'd vote for January too. and for being very near the ski school meeting place; carrying stuff for 3 kids under 7 is hard work - I know they should carry it themselves, but....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
3rd week in Feb is one of the UK 1/2 term weeks. As the Jungfrau area attracts a lot of Brits, I'd avoid that week if possible.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agreed, I think anyone who doesn't have to, who goes skiing at half term, has to be a masochist.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
adub, Interlaken is very nice but if you are going to ski and hopefully get your children into it i suggest staying on the slopes to prevent the hassles of going back and fourth on the train. January,February will be fine as long as they are correctly clothed.

As previous snowHead's have mentioned try and lookat staying in either of the 3 main resorts Grindelwald,Wengen and......Murren (highest and most child friendly of them all http://www.muerren.ch/ wink )

Im sure you have visited this site http://www.wengen-muerren.ch
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy