Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One-legged skiing drill

Poster: A snowHead
I presume that most folks have seen this but I stumbled across it again whilst looking for something else. Awesome.

http://youtube.com/v/__Faa87IQhk&NR=1
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep got to agree, sheer class.

Hes a true snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
veeeight,Sounds like the sort of moves Bode pulls off also require a combination of feel and strength that not many of us can aspire to!

VEEIGHT i think you ahve it there Blush Blush

It's just a pity he didn't post a time Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Haha Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Laughing That guy is pretty exceptional. I remember watching that when it happened! He only jittered at the end I reckon because he got tired!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Awesome!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Definitely worth a try on the EoSB race ..... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's impressive!! Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
too cool, hadnt seen that and having tried to ski one footed cant imagine the skill and athleticism requited to do it on an icy steep course at high speed. Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BernardC wrote:
Definitely worth a try on the EoSB race ..... Toofy Grin
Well, dbiggins managed on one arm this year Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
what about this

http://www.speedski-cz.com/video/Les%20Arcs2005/Milton-Mondial%20Pro2005=190,48.wmv
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
daehwons, yeah great skier.... but he is currently fighting cancer again
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon wrote:
I presume that most folks have seen this but I stumbled across it again whilst looking for something else. Awesome.

http://youtube.com/v/__Faa87IQhk&NR=1

Class.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Out too late the night before, or he could have finished. Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FastMan, Laughing
snow report
Now you see why I don't think he should be allowed to teach beginners, mind you it does eliminate the age old problem of crossing the tips. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
This recovery is pretty good too!

http://youtube.com/v/f1V4CQxFTgo
snow report
veeeight, Unbelievable. The stable leg is like a ROCK. I wonder how long that took in real time.
snow report
Which just goes to show what you can do with the application of skill (to say nothing of strength). I'm sure if he hadn't had to go so far on that one leg he'd have finished.
latest report
 brian
brian
Ach, it was a downhill ski, easy peasy. Let's see the lightweight do a slalom .... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Hurtle, looking at the amount of flex in the ski he's waving around when it hits the ground, I'd say not very long at all, he's travelling ! Now that, I concede, was quite good.
latest report
The guy seems to do this stuff for shits and giggles!
latest report
That's the downhill course at Lake Louise non? Well I'm only halfway there... broke a binding halfway down Ptarmigan on the backside and had to ski down to the larch chair with just one ski. ooooooh the burn! Toofy Grin
snow report
brian, one of the fast lads on Saturday must have fallen somewhere near the top and I saw him coming through the second half of the course a bit slow (actually very slow for him), and looking a bit strange - and then I saw he only had one ski on Wink . He still wasn't slowest on that run (although probably the only slower non-fallers were 6yo girls).
snow report
brian, GrahamN, some of the the young lads (and one or two of the older) do the courses at Castleford one legged from time to time. Even then they're a mile quicker than me Sad
snow conditions
A better place for this:

Gross generalisations about one-legged skiing from my personal experience which may only apply to me and you try strictly at your own risk:

Weight tends to go back, so start with ankles dorsiflexed and weight well forwards.
Go slow at first and do skidded turns.
When turning on the inside edge try to start to mimic the movement you'd do with that leg had both skis been on.
When turning on the outside edge start by banking.
When a bit more stable try to flex and extend on both turns.
All the time be very conscious of what you're feeling through your foot.
Try to open up the radius, using pressure and edge more and rotation less.
Build up leg strength before really trying to angulate.

Not that widely practised except by the most determined recreational skiers, but what has anyone else who has tried it experienced? Any tips or hints you've picked up?
snow conditions
slikedges, I agree 100% with most of your bullets, but took a slightly different route into this - carving it rather than skidding. It really depends what type of terrain is available. I used about as flat and slow as you can get.

1) Start off running as straight as possible right down the fall line of the (barely perceptible) slope. This is to makemsure you can ski with the ski flat on the snow, rather than some kind of 'half a braking plough'. Anything steeper than a typical bunny slope is too much, so go for the basic learners' drags. You'll probably not have a flat ski to start with - almost certainly you'll be on the medial edge - and find you turn gently as if this were your normal turning ski. You'll probably find you have to angle the front of the free ski over the running ski to maintain that lateral balance. Keep doing it until you can run straight.

2) Once you've got the ski running flat you can start finding the edges. Running the same straight line, move weight gently medially and laterally. The ski will then start making linked turns, oscillating around the fall line. The ski should never slide sideways, but carve cleanly all the time. Start off only letting it diverge little more than its own width from the fallline.

3) As you get better you can increase the edge angle of the ski and make larger and larger oscillations. At some point the ski will not edge but will slide out (most likely from the heel). You have now gone beyond your ability level and are not achieving anything in this position, so start recovery - decrease the edge angle, adjust your balance (your ankles will probably be insufficiently flexed and your knee too stiff) and try again.

4) Repeat 3) ad infinitum, with increasing edge angles, steeper and longer slopes as you get better. Once you've got the basic hang of it, practice when you get on to those tedious windy green/blue tracks linking the bits of the mountain you actually want to ski. If a bend is too tight, use two skis when it starts going to pot and then resume the exercise when you've past the bend. Eventually your dynamic balance will improve so you can get around all those bends. You'll also find that as the excursions from the fallline increase and the turn radius tighten up you'll (need to) extend/flex the knee more to keep the ski carving (exactly as in one of slikedges later bullets). You can also practice fine edge control on these tracks, rotating the foot out of the carve towards a braking sideslip for speed control. Seems good for dynamic lateral balance. Do it really progressively though or you'll end up in an uncontrolled one-foot hockey stop and probably land on your ear!

5) When turning on the lateral edge, lift your free foot (and maybe even your arm) away from your body to the side to provide a counter-balance for your body which is on the inside of the turn. Be very careful with this though as the tip may flap about, and if it all goes pearshaped and the free tip hits the snow you could end up with a very nasty injury. Best to keep the tip raised higher than your foot to avoid this.

One instructor did get us doing a mixture of pressured/skiddy turns on a steeper slope last year (slushy blue/black) when trying to think of something to do with us in the pouring rain. Certainly it was too steep for me to try carving it. It was really difficult to avoid sitting back on the heel - and that's how most turns ended up at some point - so it was definitely important to do the exercise with two skis on, so you could bottle it, stop and get recentred before having another go.
snow report
GrahamN, interesting. First time I had reattempted one legged skiing in over 10 years was about a year ago and I did pretty much what you describe, only the slope was a bit too steep(!) Started again this year with easiski and she eventually got me skating off uphill ski onto the outside edge of the inside ski for the turn, followed by a long traverse on that inside ski, which then becomes the uphill one again, then repeat. Like for what you describe you need suitable terrain for that, so I started doing shorter slower turns too, initially very skidded and now somewhat less so, but far from a clean carve. The feeling I get on the outside edge is very similar to that I get when doing an underpush on in-line skates. It's also the secret to slow long carves standing tall on very shallow inclines - I always feel more on outside edge of inside ski then than inside edge of outside ski. Straight running on one ski as you say is remarkably difficult to start with; hence interesting that sliding a short distance in a straight line is used by some instructors to get absolute beginners used to the sliding property of the ski!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I used to have an alignment problem that meant it was difficult to get my right ski flat let alone on the outside edge. I got that fixed a couple of seasons ago and one of the things I enjoy doing now is one ski skiing. I second the advice on starting on a gentle angle but you don't need all that much space. I find that long, winding and otherwise dull cat-tracks are quite good - also forces you follow a line.
latest report
I saw the one legged chap doing the flying K at les Arcs... it was very impressive.
snow conditions
Scarpa, That is Michael Milton and he is awesome.... Lost the other leg to cancer as a small child.... Sadly now fighting another type of cancer Sad He has a small baby IIRC
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy