Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pila - is it a good family resort for mixed abilities?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are thinking of going to Pila February half term, but some of our group are a bit put off by the apparent preponderance of red slopes compared to blue. I've seen the discussion on this link (http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=29247&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=pila) which is more about the snow reliability and extent of the ski area,

For those who have been there, what is your opinion on the severity of the reds? Would some of them be more like blues in french ski areas?

I am quite keen on Pila because of it's gondala link to Aosta, which might interest my non skiing father during the day.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was in Pila in February 2006 and loved it - I'm a rather nervous skiier and tend to stick to nice wide open blues. (Most of) the reds were absolutely fine, and didn't scare me at all!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the feedback - that's re-assuring! Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Its a really nice place to ski - I've been twice and yeh it has lots of easy stuff( And the red slopes there allow for good learning) as well as some nice Blacks for anyone else....The infamous Wall (least thats what our group nicknamed it). Town is a bit industrial if I remember correctly but the skiing is what matters right!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As long as the snow is good the reds aren't too hard, and the blues will be open. It should be fine in February.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The vast majority of the reds are like you say more like the blues you would find in french resorts, the Italians tend to grade a slope as red even if its 90% blue with just 10% of it being a red. Aosta is a bit industrial round the outskirts though the centre is very nice & has the most roman remains anywhere in the Aosta/ piedmont regions of Italy, for your non skiing father there is a frequent bus & train service to Turin that again has industrial outskirts but a fantastic centre with lots of places to visit (turin shroud, egytption museum, varies palace's etc) Milan is also a possible day trip. If you will have transport during your stay then courmayuer & la thuile have some great skiing.(i think you can get a bus from Aosta to courmayeur) Pila is a lovley place to ski Im sure you will have a great time! ps it will cost you alot less than the french alps 2!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mrcw34, many thanks for the feedback, and for the info on possible excursions for my Dad. It certainly seems to be ticking all the right boxes for us, and although there has been some comment on it being a small area, it seems like the runs are interesting, and I certainly don't mind skiing the same runs several times and getting different things out of them. I think we will give it a go, but looks like we will go first week of Easter now instead of Feb half term.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
even better!! Pila & La Thuile tend to get a lot of late season snow
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maybe a little late but the Reds are mostly very easy only the top of run 3 is very scary. You no doubt loved it
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ennalsj, Pila, lovely resort.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy