Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

London

Poster: A snowHead
I'll be spending the next two months in London, so any tips on where to eat/drink? I've been up for two nights already and have found "Waxy o'Connors" and Goucho Grill, and will be trying Chowki and Imli next week at some point, but I need loads of suggestions as I'll be eating out for 24 of the next 38 nights!

Edit: I should have said that I'm working in The City, and staying 50 yards from Trafalgar Square.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My latest fave - Camino bar at Kings Cross
http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/reviews/10659.html
http://www.barcamino.com

Spanish, with tapas in the bar and a fab restaurant. The menu is limited but the food is absolutely delicious - lovely fresh ingredients freshly cooked mmmmmmm

If anyone's ever at a loose end at Kings Cross, I'm happy to meet them in Caminos for a drink! Very Happy

PS - its a bit tricky to find - look down a little alley into a courtyard opposite the Thameslink station
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hyweljenkins, you MUST go eat at Hakkasan (Google it)... just off Tottenham Court Rd. Expensive but simply awesome far eastern fayre.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh - and many nice restaurants down Charlotte Street, running parallel to Tottenham Court Road. Take your pick!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Burger King, somewhere flash like London is bound to have 1 somewhere.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FenlandSkier, Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FenlandSkier wrote:
Burger King, somewhere flash like London is bound to have 1 somewhere.

Burger Kings are actually closing down !. The one in Holborn has gone, as have branches in Putney and Kingston. Not that I use them myself Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hyweljenkins, I work 50 yds from Trafalgar Sq....can recommend numerous hosterleries, but embarrased to say, don't really know the restaurants Embarassed
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chinatown
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hyweljenkins, You have just got time to visit the 'New Piccadilly' in Denman Street before it closes its doors for the last time at the end of September and all the formica disappears.

'The City Corner' caff opposite Liverpool Street is your best bet for a fried breakfast. Or Smithfield, downstairs in the Cock Tavern, with all the men in bloodstained white coats.

'Ye Olde Mitre' off Hatton Garden is your best bet for a drink, if you like decent beer in nice surroundings. There is scaffolding up at the moment and it can be awkward to find. However, if you are happy with Waxy O' Connors the beer and traditional surroundings are possibly of little interest to you.

In the City itself for lunch , George and Vulture does overpriced traditional grub as does Simpsons nearby. Sweetings does overpriced, but nice fish. You need to get there early though.

Chinatown Gerrard Street, Lisle street have plenty of decent reasonably- priced restaurants. New Diamond in Lisle Street is pretty good.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hyweljenkins, This is the website you want. The restaurant section includes a Fay Maschler archive. She's a great critic, you really can trust what she says.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hyweljenkins, GNER have some nice food on their Northern bound trains

2 birds, 1 stone Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Latchigo wrote:
'Ye Olde Mitre' off Hatton Garden is your best bet for a drink, if you like decent beer in nice surroundings. There is scaffolding up at the moment and it can be awkward to find.

Ooh, I've been there, agreed, very nice. Also the only place I've ever been asked if I want a sausage with my beer - that threw me a bit, assumed it was a suvvern thing Wink Laughing
I was also about to say I don't know if I could find it again - I think it was somewhere that involved walking down Newgate street towards Holburn ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jerry, The Lord Raglan would have been nearer for you if you were in the building I suspect you were in.
ski holidays
oooo Hakkasan's ace for a blowout.

Close by is Bradley's Spanish Bar on Hanway St - this is one of my favourite bars in London, tiny and atmospheric down a little backstreet .

When you've got a nice night, walk down to the Oxo tower over the lovely pedestrian bridge by Embankment for dinner above the South Bank looking over the river - (or walk a bit further down for Pont de la Tour)
- then stop off at Gordon's on the way back - brilliant cellar bar on Villiers St, only serves wine, port, sherry etc, it's an institution.

Busaba on Wardour St does brilliant inexpensive Thai food in a lovely setting (same designer as Hakkasan)

Randall and Aubin in Soho for seafood and people-watching. The Cinnamon Club for incredible curry.
The Rockwell at the Trafagar Hilton has a brilliant rooftop bar but it's not always easy to get in because it's only small. Rock and Sole Plaice in Covent Garden does great fish and chips. Bodeans on Poland St for steak.

Make sure you go to Tower 42 while you're in the City - you need to take ID to go, and it's only open weeknights, but the views at night from the 42nd floor are incomparable. It's as good ad the Eye. The cocktails are rubbish, stick to champagne!

Go down to Borough Market one Friday or Saturday for brilliant food and top beer from the Market Porter pub.

Eat at the Vietnamese restaurants on Kingsland Road while you're in the City, you can walk/cab there easily. Song Que's my favourite but they're all good.

Or cab it a bit further up to where the Turkish places are, Mangal 2 is a good one.

haha sorry I love eating out! Very Happy hope this helps
snow conditions
Oh and in/near the City - St John's Bread and Wine - it's not all pigs feet in aspic and stuffed ox heart - they do lovely, simply cooked food. Have a pint at the Golden Heart close by beforehand. And Tayyabs in Whitechapel for a curry - it's superb. Brick Lane curries are often a bit ropey but it's a fun night out.
latest report
firebug, Interesting list.
Life is too short to queue at Busabai.
I used to go to Rock&Sole Plaice but they went downhill when they started using boxes for their takeaways. Fryers Delight in Theobalds Road is better, or Sea Shell in Marylebone.
Market Porter is good, but too crowded on a Friday night. Royal Oak in Tabard Street further south is far better - a traditional Harveys pub with inexpensive but good quality nosh.
Vietnamese in Hoxton is good - particularly Cay Tre.
There is a nice pizza place in Gabriel's Wharf right by the Oxo Tower.
Lamb in Lambs Conduit Street is a fine Youngs pub with a good Italian next door.
Blackfriars pub is worth a visit - but at noon midweek, not on a Friday evening.
http://www.fancyapint.com/

http://www.london-eating.co.uk/

http://www.classiccafes.co.uk/
ski holidays
Sheekys
snow report
For an inexpensive Greek meze served by ancient Cypriots - Jimmy's in Frith Street. You need to be mob-handed to enjoy it at its best though. You can have a coffee before at the Bar Italia and a decent pint after at the pub on the corner of Bateman Street.

http://www.london-restaurants.com/london/areas/restaurant.asp?catID=10&classID=52

Kollossi up near Exmouth market is another reasonably priced Greek, or Daphne in Camden.
ski holidays
China town is just around the corner from Trafalgar Square (a short way up Charing cross Rd and then left - Gerrard St just south of Shaftsbury Avenue is the centre of it.) Lots of good restaurants there.
latest report
dine-online.co.uk

I recommend Pearl in Holborn, can never remember if I prefer the curry at Lahore's or Tayyabs - preceeded by a pint or 6 in the pride of spitalfelds. Big fan of Simpsons, St Johns, Gaucho Grill and Borough Market.
vinoteca.co.uk is good if you like a range of reasonably priced wine as is arbutus.
heard good things about Galvins at Baker Street - not Galvin at Windows.

I'll think of mor elater..........
snow report
ashton parker, Pride of Spitalfields is a top boozer. Nosh in there is cheap too but is of the egg and chips variety. Wembley is far more authentic for curry than Brick Lane though - or try the veggie places like Chutneys up in Drummond Street.
snow report
Quote:

Wembley is far more authentic for curry

And Southall is probably even more authentic than Wembley, but neither is exactly convenient for the City or Trafalgar Square. rolling eyes
snow report
Hurtle, Wembley may be convenient if you are going to an event there. I believe there is a football match taking place there this week.

Anyway Wembley is only ten or fifteen minutes from Marylebone non-stop.

Less whingeing more recommendations please.
snow report
firebug, can second the recommendation for Tayabs. Service can be a little brisk but the food is fabulous and very cheap. It's BYO as well so keeps costs down. Very close to the city.
latest report
Latchigo,
Quote:

Wembley may be convenient if you are going to an event there. I believe there is a football match taking place there this week

I suppose, but it wasn't mentioned in the original post.
Quote:

Anyway Wembley is only ten or fifteen minutes from Marylebone non-stop.

Since I was born and brought up but a stone's throw from Wembley, I am aware of its location. Marylebone isn't that convenient for the City or Trafalgar Square either. Why go that far afield when there's so much on the doorstep(s)?
Quote:

Less whingeing more recommendations please.

I was merely stating a fact, not whingeing. I would not presume that my taste will be shared by others (there are several places already recommended on this thread which I don't like) it's just too subjective. That's why I posted a link to the Evening Standard website, which contains reviews by probably the most respected restaurant critic in the UK, and some good stuff on pubs as well. Not enough recommendations in there for you?
latest report
Right me ol' mate

Pie and Mash: http://www.gkellypieandmash.co.uk/index.htm It has to be done. Trip to East London (The city is EC after all).

"Oldest Pub" in Fleet Street:

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/15/1513/Ye_Olde_Cheshire_Cheese/Fleet_Street

Make sure you visit all the floors. Nice place to eat, but there are better. Sam Smiths Pub so strange lager Puzzled

Lamb & Flag Covent Garden, luvies pub (if know what I mean), great little boozer of the beaten track, get lots of actors having a drink,
so if your into thespians Shocked

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/69/692/Lamb_and_Flag/Covent_Garden

Tattershall Castle floating pub on the Thames opposite the London Eye, always good for a laugh, just watch the world go bye.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/26/268/Tattershall_Castle/Embankment

Enjoy...................................

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 10-09-07 17:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
I was merely stating a fact, not whingeing. I would not presume that my taste will be shared by others (there are several places already recommended on this thread which I don't like) it's just too subjective. That's why I posted a link to the Evening Standard website, which contains reviews by probably the most respected restaurant critic in the UK, and some good stuff on pubs as well. Not enough recommendations in there for you?

The post asked for personal recommendations so that is what I expect to see - not some critic's subjective recommendation. Anyway, you are letting the side down by keeping schtum.

Moderators can we make this thread a sticky please ?

(LONDON IN BOLD PRINT TO ANNOY FROSTY THE SNOWMAN)
latest report
blytht, There is a truly disgusting pie and mash shop in Exmouth Market - one of the few remaing eating places there that has not been trendified.

Cheshire Cheese and Lamb and Flag are both sound.
ski holidays
snow report
Beware of the price of a ticket to watch Chelsea. Arsenal is cheaper and they have a better stadium.

Or you could watch Chelsea reserves, like Jose Mourinho did the other night. It is only £5 at Griffin Park and there is a pub on each corner of the ground.

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/sport/football/2007/09/09/football-security-men-told-mourinho-to-burger-off-98487-19757974/
latest report
Latchigo,

Quote:

Arsenal is cheaper and they have a better stadium

true but no atmosphere Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
hyweljenkins, If you do want to go to a Arsenal game (The Only team in London Laughing ) the only chance you have of getting tickets
is a Carling Cup game around the 31st Oct. Normally they go on general sale. Fantistic Stadium, well worth a trip.
ski holidays
blytht, Fulham v Bolton is only £15 for the Carling Cup.

That is cheaper than standing to watch the Bees in League Two. Plus the stadium is in a nice setting on the Thames and there is a decent pub or two in Putney.
ski holidays
Latchigo, I agree, the Sea Shell is the best chippy in the WORLD! ... I love the Lamb, on Lamb's Conduit st too..

Also in Spitalfields - a very nice tapas place (Meson Los Barilles), and just round the corner on Dray Walk is Story, a deli that does fantastic thin base pizzas.

http://londonreviewofbreakfasts.blogspot.com/
This is a brilliantly written site with some top reccomendations Smile

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 11-09-07 8:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Cigala - Old Conduit Street - really nice relaxed authentic Spanish
Or Fino on Charlotte St - really nice too.
The best pub grub "gastro pub" is imo The Anchor and Hope on The Cut (runs past the Young Vic) - really good friendly service, and super food.
www.squaremeal.co.uk is a very useful guide, and genearally objective.
ski holidays
noggy,
Quote:

Or Fino on Charlotte St - really nice too.
The best pub grub "gastro pub" is imo The Anchor and Hope on The Cut (runs past the Young Vic) - really good friendly service, and super food.
Very much agreed in both cases.
ski holidays
ashton parker,
Quote:

Galvins at Baker Street

I've eaten there, not cheap and the service was iffy, but the food was excellent.
latest report
hyweljenkins For a beautiful building and some people-watching, plus very acceptable food (with an Austrian slant, weirdly) at not-too-extortionate prices - The Wolseley.
I endorse what others have said about Charlotte Street, several places apart from Fino, including a good Italian, Passione (the proprietor is a friend/mentor of Jamie Oliver, fwiw) and an Indian (South Indian) restaurant - can't remember its name, but it's painted pink, is on the corner of Rathbone Place, and has veg & fish, but no meat.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy