Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help re all rounder skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am looking to get some new skis this season and I was wondering if someone have tried K2 outlaw, Armada ARV, Dynstar Legend 8000, and 4FRT Skis MSP.
I am 6ft and about 89kg.
I am looking for something than will do all. (powder, groomed, all-mountain).
What do you recommend?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Only tried the 8000 they are excellent all mountain ski once you get on top of them. You can often pick up bargains when they change the graphics. i have heard people rave about the Armadas.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks jbob
Get on top of them?
I have heard about ARMADA and how good they are but never tried one.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dimitri, The new 8000 has an improved Radius making her much more fun on the piste.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have used the Outlaw which was quite a weighty ski with its rental bindings.. I have only tried the 181, IIRC, in deep stuff and it works well here but feels a 'big' ski. so doubt it will be too zippy on the piste. I suppose it depends how you ski.
The 174 Outlaw..which measures longer, so don't know how K2 measure them, is far quicker and not so very different from the 174 Recon... and would be a better allround ski in that lenght, IMV. than the Recon.

Not such a fan of the 8000 which I have skied in 184 so I would rate for 50-50 use;

Recon 181.
Ouitlaw 174
8000 184
in that order.
If you want a more off-piste ski, with just a few forays on piste, then Outlaw, 174 or 181, then 181 Recon.

Others skis, I would be think about would be the Movement Spark for a great edge hold AND good float ski and Volkl AC4.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What I am looking is something close to what the Scott Mission has to offer. I have tried last May for few hours and I was very impressed with the performance both on and off piste. What I am looking is something similar and as I intent to use the ski weather permitted mainly off piste. But as you know, finding fresh snow is not always that easy, something that will work both on and off will be perfect.
There are mixed views for the Outlaw mainly because it is heavy and its hard work on piste (not really a problem). I have also read good reviews about the softer ARMADA ARV but never tried.
It looks that all 3 skis are very good, which makes it very difficult to chose one.
Many thanks for your help.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dimitri,

If you liked the Mission, then maybe pursue that. It is many people's one quiver ski. I think it is just a bit flighty.... or doesn't feel very substantial...for some reason, but if it works for you, then it works for you.

If I wanted a ski that would cover hardpack/boilerplate on the one day and then handle a foot of new snowfall the next, I would seriously look at the Movement Spark. It has 82mm waist and will float and then it will rail on netted-off black ice runs to the resort. I know this as it did exactly that last year.

For waist deep stuff, you'd hire the biggest you could find that day anyway...but we don't see that stuff so very often, IME.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are looking mainly to ski off-piste I am seeing tons of good reviews about Volkl's free skiing models (Karma, Gotama ...etc). Unfo I haven't skied them so can't give you an opinion... Google them and you get plenty info. But if you reckon that on some days you may stay almost entirely on groomed beacuse of weather/conditions there is a very good crop of skis nowadays with abt 80mm waist that are decent carvers and good off-piste: Head, Volkl, Nordica to name but a few.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy