Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schladming Resort Report Feedback Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is a feedback thread for Deliaski's resort report:

Schladming (Jan 2001, March 2007)

Feel free to add, comment, or write your own report...

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
An interesting report. Schladming is one of the bigger Austrian resorts and has always looked pretty good in brochures.

What is it like for DIYers ?

Is there a train connection from Salzburg ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
there trains from salzburg tgo schladming, some direct though most require a simple change at bishofshofen. I think trains take between 90mins and 2hrs. There are plenty of bus services from salzburg airport, quite well priced and take around an hour. Looks like is snowing there (higher up) more now than last season.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What is it like for DIYers ? Try flight to Graz from Stansted on Ryanair and then train. There is a major rail line through the centre of Schladming. I've been to Schladming twice both in March/April time and can highly recommend the slopes. Don't bother trying to ski back down into the resort at that time of year (I tried it twice and regretted it both times) but there's loads of empty runs above the middle station on the main planai gondola. Mountain restaurants are second to none for quality as well.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We went DIY for our March 07 trip. We hired a car so we could explore the Amade ski regions in full, but you don't need one if you're just going to ski Schladming and Ramsau/Dachstein, as the bus service in the valley is good.

To get from the airport at Salzburg, you can take a train which takes around 90 minutes, or a direct bus run by the town itself. If you go to Planai.com there is a page about the Planai bus. They run a few times a day at weekends but are not always timed to fit in with UK flights.

The Planai bus people are however very helpful, and have in the past agreed to drop us off and pick us up in Radstadt when we have been going to Obertauern. It's a little detour for them, and they didn't have to do it. This of course doesn't help Schladming trippers, but am just tyring to illustrate that they are very helpful. Helps if you speak a bit of German though Little Angel .

So yes, Schladming is fine for DIY, I would bus or train if you just want to ski the local hills, and get a car if you want to go to Flachau, Wagrain etc. The drive is fine though, mainly motorway and all low level so not too bad even on snowy days.

I would personally still use Salzburg airport rather than Graz (sorry easl5755), mainly because if you get to Graz for your return flight, and there are any issues, there are no other UK flights from there, whereas if you get to Salzburg and there are any issues, you have lots of options of getting a seat on another flight, ditto I suppose for getting out of the UK. Distance wise there's not much in it for the transfer but again I think there are more options from Salzburg, plus the airport is very well set up for ski tourists, and the Europcar office in particular now opens specifically for the UK flights, even in the evening, so you don't get stung for the annoying 'out of hours charge' that you do in the rest of Austria.

Happy sliding snowHead
D
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy