Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What does it refer to?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
..when a ski is described as 'quick' and 'forgiving' ? And how can a ski be both? Ta Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Forgiving (to me) means it has a big sweet spot (to use a golf term). Basically, you can be leaning way forward or way back, and you will still be able to ski. It can make you feel like you are a better skier than you really are, because it "forgives" your mistakes.

Quick can mean a lot of different things - if it's "quick edge to edge", then you should find it easy to go from one turn to another - this normally means it is a narrower ski. Quick on its bases means it will run fast in a straight line.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Quick on its bases means it will run fast in a straight line.

Not trying to pick you up here, but which skis don't run fast in a straight line ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
masmith, ones with bad wax jobs!

(also, different base technologies can have an effect, as can the size/shape of the ski)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
erica2004 wrote:
..when a ski is described as 'quick' and 'forgiving' ? And how can a ski be both? Ta Very Happy
It can be both because the manufacturer wants you to buy it. I wouldn't believe a word you read - trust me, in order to justify all the skis in a range, the marketing dept sit their scratching their heads, looking for a series of adjectives that differentiate one ski from another whilst, at the same time, making it sound right up the street of the very profile of skier it is aimed at. Best (and only way IMO) is to go demo loads of skis and buy the pair that FEEL right to YOU.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bode Swiller, How do you go about getting all the skis you want to demo? I haven't been anywhere in Europe that has a real good choice. If someone can suggest where I can demo the ladies Volkl Fuego, Elan Wave Magic, Stockli Spirit ED, and K2s, I'll go!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
masmith wrote:
Quote:

Not trying to pick you up here, but which skis don't run fast in a straight line ?

Skis with a lot of sidecut (shape) tend to be 'grabby' and are more difficult to keep under control in a straight line preferring to be on an edge. (e.g. A slalom ski v a downhill ski)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
erica2004, Aspen demo shops would have the Volkl, Elan & K2. Not sure about the Stockli. (the ones in Vail would as well, in fact most of Summit County)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB wrote:
masmith wrote:
Quote:

Skis with a lot of sidecut (shape) tend to be 'grabby' and are more difficult to keep under control in a straight line preferring to be on an edge. (e.g. A slalom ski v a downhill ski)

+ skis that are too soft for the skier's weight on a given snow surface can sag in the middle creating drag (sometimes creating extra "float", but still slow)
+ skis that are too stiff for the skier's weight on a given snow surface can pressure the tip or tail too much so that those ends are highly loaded, this is related to WTFH's "sweet spot" comment, essentially the balance point to make them flat on the snow becomes vanishingly small.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex, So why do skis (I'm guessing here) get stiffer for more advanced skiers? If you're a relatively light-weight female (compared to a 12stone guy) then how are you going to be able to properly ski the more advanced skis? Can you get advanced skis that are softer or is that a contradiction in terms?
Wear The Fox Hat, Fancy a trip?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
erica2004, I'm already going to be there in January for the ESA (20-24th), and much as I appreciate your offer, I suspect Nells might be a tad annoyed if I went with you!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
erica2004, regarding your comment to comprex - a lighter weight skier should (generally) be on shorter skis, so the 60kg lady might be on 150cm skis, and the 90kg man might be on 180cm skis, but they will be of similar stiffness.

Another generalisation: no, you don't get advanced skis that are softer. (but there are more holes in that generalisation than truths: advanced off-piste may well be softer than an intermediate on-piste ski, park skis tend to be softer than noodles...)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's all as clear as mud Toofy Grin

By the way, shopkeepers always keep wanting me to have 160cm skis, whilst I've always been happy on 150cms (5'6" / 58kg).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy