Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

where to buy a helmet

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Following on from the 'what do you wear on your head' thread, where is likely to have the best choice of different makes/styles of helmets to try on, in order to compare and find the best fit for my head? Am based in Suffolk, but am often in London, but have not been impressed by the (lack of) choice in the shops I have visited so far. Alternatively, would I be better waiting until I am in resort, probably in France (not decided where yet, but will be going somewhere at Christmas, probably also in Feb).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gamekeeper - Slush&Rubble in Covent Garden usually has a reasonable selection of lids - but they may not have the 07/08 stock in yet.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PhillipStanton, are the 07/08 heads a different shape to the 06/07 ones? wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gamekeeper, Bargain Boards carry a selection year round.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Buying a helmet is a real pain as each store only stocks a limited range. To get to try virtually every make/model I'd suggest either the London or B'ham ski shows:
http://www.metroskishow.co.uk/
http://www.necgroup.co.uk/visitor/whatson/DisplayWhatsOn.asp?i=5629&m=11&p=1

You can normally get free or BOGOF tickets off http://www.natives.co.uk
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gamekeeper, I wouldn't wait till France. Different for US/Canada - or perhaps even Switzerland - where Helmets seem more commonly used. This is one of the few things I would willingly go to S&R for. Their Brentwood store might be nearer you?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all - particularly Spyderjon, my point exactly, that none of the stores I have been to have had a good range of helmets to try on and compare. I also need helmets for the children, and as the London show is half term week, it might make a good (but expensive, as there are bound to be multiple other purchases...) day out!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I bought mine in Les Arcs, virtually every shop had a huge range, and as usual I ended up going back to the first shop I visited to buy the helmet Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I decided to buy helmets for the kids in resort - Cervinia. So many shops each with a huge variety, the choice and range in prices was amazing. I'd definitely do it that way again.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
FenlandSkier wrote:
PhillipStanton, are the 07/08 heads a different shape to the 06/07 ones? wink

Laughing

To be a tad more expansive - they haven't got all their ski gear in yet.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

are the 07/08 heads a different shape to the 06/07 ones?

To be fair, just as boot manufacturers sometimes change their idea of what the foot shape is, helmet manufacturers do also occasionally change their fit...... so the answer is yes..... possibly! Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I also need helmets for the children, and as the London show is half term week, it might make a good (but expensive, as there are bound to be multiple other purchases...) day out!

Sounds like a great day out. Bound to be expensive though! We used Snow and Rock at Port Solent where they were extremely helpful, though without a great range to try. I had to order what I wanted, having tried some the right size and some the right type (that I could use for piped music). Because the assistant was knowledgeable I was able to order the right one with confidence that it would fit when it arrived. The really big French sports supermarkets can have a good range - Go Sport, Decathlon but if you're only out for a week you won't want to trail round out of town shopping areas.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What I found was that UK shops get the stock in early, and generally also sell out early, and don't replenish their stock.

I wanted a Giro for the added ventilation, from looking around many shops in a few French resorts, they tended to not stock Giro helmets!

cheers,

Greg
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's important to choose a helmet that fits properly, i.e. offers a snug fit with no independant movement of the helmet when on the head (but not so tight that it feels like your eyes are about to make a sharp exit from your skull). Try not to be influenced by marketing and also personal recommendations, different people = different shaped heads = different helmet requirements and marketing = 95% b Shocked ll Shocked ocks. I'd follow spyderjon's, advice and get to a big show where you can spend a good bit of time trying on as many as possible. Personally, I reckon priorities (sp?) should be;

1. Fit
2. Cost
3. Looks
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gamekeeper, Ski Plus in Chelmsford has a really good selection of Helmets. I got two there last season....
snow report
 brian
brian
I bought a Giro G10 from these guys:

http://xsportsprotective.com/snowboard-helmets.html

Just measured my head beforehand and took a punt. It was going on ebay if I didn't get it right !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy