Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hey girls anyone of you skied the Phatt Luv?

Poster: A snowHead
Im lookin for a b-day pressent to my gf.

Im eyeballing a pair of Phatt Luv´s that are on sale.

What Im not sure about is if it will be "too much of a ski" for her. She is a upper intermediate skiier. We skiied 3 weeks in Fernie last year and she was on a pair of K2 True Luv. That ski was imho a bit narrow for her. It was her first contact with real powder skiing and she was struggling a bit with the lack of lift the what 68 or so waist was giving her. Imho its all about the skier and not so much about the ski but the ski can make life much easier. So Im thinkin the Phatt Luvs would make life much easier. Another situation she struggled with whas when it got a bit heavier in the snow and choppy. Im assuming that the Phatt Luv will plow through poo-poo much much better.

Now the question to you girls that have skied the Phatt Luv. How are they agility wise? Are they much more work to manouver then the narrower K2s? For the overall experience of a say 60% offpist 40% pist day will the "lacking in pist" characteristics spoil the gained offpist performance?? (if no reference to other K2s please post what you are comparing with)

Please provide your feedback on the situation.

Thanks in advance
Tex
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The missus has a pair, she skied them for two seasons and for the first loved them, they were a forgiving way for her to learn to ski in conditions that she was unused to. Last year she bought some new skis and after testing a few pair has decided that the Phat Luvs aren't that good...

She finally choose K2 Public Enemy.

The Phat Luvs are not agile on piste, they take a fair bit of turning over and can be hard work in moguls.

If you spend lots of time skiing in Fernie then get them for her. They rule for powder and let an average skier ski in places that they aren't really ready for.

This is a quiver ski, the owner should have access to other skis for when there ain't no powder...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TexMurphy, how about the new Tough Luv's, narrower waist makes it a better all-rounder if you only have one pair. Or the MissDemeanor, the Public Enemies sister. O wouldn't fancy the phats on a hard piste.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The skis would be a gift basicly for this years fernie trip she will be sking 3 mostlikely 4 weeks in fernie this year.

Reason Im eyeballing the Phatt´s is that they are 310 Euro on sale. I find that a very good price and Im too cheap to buy her more expencive gifts. Wink

Its more or less the Phatts or something else as a gift.. unless one of you has a link to a better deal on a alternative ski.. I more or less only know of conrad and that pyrenes site...

Tex
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oops sorry thought this was about me wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lol funny... Wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maybe a good price, but I'm not sure I'd appreciate being bought a ski as a present I hadn't already tried and liked. What if she hates it? I have MissDemeanors. I tried lots before I bought them, having ended up with a less than ideal pair of skis on a previous occasion. I actually preferred another one, but couldn't find it in the right length, and it wouldn't have been as good off-piste.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TexMurphy, - RachelQ skied the Tough Luvs and fell in luv with them - it might be worth dropping her a PM http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=698233#698233
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't PM me, I'm here Very Happy I don't know anything about the Phat Luv, and I ski Burning Luvs, but as IncogSkiSno says, I skied on the Tough Luvs for a couple of hours at Xscape and didn't want to give them back. I haven't found anywhere that sells them at a good price though. Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
who on earth comes up with these names...and whatever they're smoking I'll have some please. Shocked Shocked Embarassed
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
08 One Luv?

K2 keep changing the ski dimension of their skis so I'm not sure they know what the hell they're doing! The 07 One Luv is 68mm waist but the 08 one is going to be 74mm! Typical "all mountain" skis size.

Although for Fernie, the Tough Luv would be right at home. Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
TexMurphy, Mrs Ski has a pair. Luv's em. She has them mounted with Fritschi's to tour on. Great in soft snow, less great, but not disastrous elsewhere.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TexMurphy, I have to say I'm with Helen Beaumont, as folks here will attest to (it's one of my hobby horses) - Most women will want to pick something themselves that's as personal in nature as I understand skis to be. You could get into deep do-do by spending the cash before consulting with her. Also, lots of folks on here I know like to the chance to try their skis before they buy them.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mrs Falliner has a pair and loves them. For such a fat ski they're not hard work. Suddenly the rest of the mountain opened up and became a laugh. Not great on piste but workable and you're just cruising they're fine. Tough Luvs are very great...
snow report
I have a friend uses them as her ski most days for teaching (in Utah).... She has a pair of Stockli Laser SC for other days... Got the Phat Luv for new snow days... but used the Phat Luvs more...

However she is a quite versatile skier.... very good skill set... and skis pretty quickly these days....(thanks to an Italian instructor she worked and went skiing with with who helped her with some stuff she had that was holding her back for a little bit..)
snow conditions
Ok Ive done some thinking and I dont wana sound arrogant but... to the ones advicing me not to give skis for birthday, Im respectfully gonna ignore that advice I know that if she doesnt like em we sell them and no big deal she is gonna appriciate it anyways... the price on conrad is so good that they can be sold in sweden without any loss...

Now to the fact that Im actually gonna be getting her skis.. Wink

Tough Luvs would be a great ski for her and it would be the ultimate 1 ski option for her sking but unfortunatly that is out of my budget and she doesnt have it in hers either... meaning if I dont get her another set of skis she will be on her True Luvs next year which will be fine but not ideal...

I dont wana be getting a ski for sake of getting a ski. I wana make a good deal with lot of bang for the money or pass on it.

So Im most likely gonna get them.

But Ive got one final question.

Does anyone know what the difference is between Nancy and Phat Luv they got the exact same dimention but the Nancy is a twin tip... is there any other difference or is the Nancy in fact a Phat Luv twin tip?

Tex
snow report
TexMurphy, The Phat Luv is a 'torsion box' construction, whilst the Nancy is a laminate construction (as well as being twin tip). Both skis are full wood core. The main differences between the constructions are;

Torsion box is lighter whilst laminate is stronger.

However the Phat Luv is NOT a weak ski, you are only likely to notice the difference in construction if your GF is gonna be doing substantial drops etc.
ski holidays
I skied on the Phat luv's last year and really liked them - not awesome on the piste but then not really in to that. I am going to go the the Volkl Auras this season but as a first fat ski - i think the K2s are sweet.
Highly recommended - Vick
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy