Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you wear on your head?

Poster: A snowHead
I've heard people say that headwear is very important as you lose most of your body heat through your head.

So what do you wear?

Do you wear just any old winter hat and scarf, or do you wear a headband?

I've seen the buff headwear that can be a headband or scarf.

I like the tube scarves but not sure how low they will come and there might be a gap between the top of my jacket and scarf.

So please tell me what you have?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Giro Fuse Helmet
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Giro 9 helmet.

Neck tubes are better than scarves because they're less bulky so you can zip your jacket right up.

I wear a balaclava under my helmet on particularly cold days which cuts out the draught.

Headbands are sooo eighties! wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i've not seen many people in the videos on the slopes wearing helmets whilst skiing, only hats or headbands Confused

Although the boarders always seem to be wearing helmets
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I find the longer people have been skiing, the more likely they are to wear a helmet (unless they are an instructor teaching newbies). It just means they've seen more than their fair share of accidents.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Headbands are sooo eighties!

LOL i was thinking that, but think it's a secret wish of mine to dress up in a headband with a pair of fluffy yetti boots! Embarassed

Think i'd get laughed at though
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pro Tec Helmet
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wear my buff under my helmet - not neccessarily for warmth, but to keep my hair from tickling my face. And a clashing colour of neck tube.
I love my buff - I also use it under my cycle helmet and to tame my hair whilst scuba diving. It's also good whilst painting ceilings.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Awwww now you got me thinking we need helmets Sad

Don't wanna look like a noob on the slopes though
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
EKnight, I got a helmet last year, but would say that SnowHeads are not representative of the general public and that proportionately more snowHeads wear helmets.

I would estimate that on my trips I would typically see about 1:10 adults wearing helmets. The vast majority wore hats/bands/nothing etc
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Giro 9 helmet - plus balaclava or face mask for the cold times. Helmets are very snug and warm Very Happy

The vast majority of people on the slopes in Canada will wear helmets - if you see someone without you can bet they will be English/European. It seems to be getting more helmet-inclined in Europe but still the majority will be wearing hats there.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can I suggest a snowHeads hat?

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/2412/ppuser/107

Suitable for all occasions and warm when needed. When not needed (surprisingly often) they slip into a pocket.

snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Giro Fuse helmet. If you get too hot, you can open top vents with slider to let off steam without taking helmet off.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy wrote:
The vast majority of people on the slopes in Canada will wear helmets

I'd definitely agree with that. You'd look like a "noob" if you're NOT wearing a helmet in Whistler! wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hammer Full face or open face helmet, both with peaks.
snow conditions
fur lined trapper hat but also carry buff as a neck warmer/face protector if its v cold. it its warm I do wear a head band or bunny ears Embarassed
ski holidays
Leedom - Vandal, now where's my cannon.... Very Happy
latest report
bog standard wooly hat by dakine. have toyed with getting a helmet but have resisted so far
snow conditions
No-one's owning up to wearing a comedy hat with horns/antlers/ears yet Very Happy
ski holidays
Sweet Rooster helmet for bombing about, arcteryx woolie or baseball cap or nothing for touring, depending on weather
ski holidays
Helmet/buff except indoors(where arguably higher chance of collision/hard object so no sense there!)

The hardcore (Scandis?) in the Gemstock/Rotair/Grands Montets/Mont Fort cable cars seem to be moving toward full face though I think you have to be skiing with consdierable elan to carry one of those off on piste regularly. French guides of course prefer to protect their noggin with the power of the roll-up ciggie.
snow conditions
EKnight, welcome to snowhead!

One of the benefit of being a snowhead is drawing from the experience of others who's been skiing a lot. You can avoid the expensive mistake of buying loads of useless items for fashion's sake.

Get a helmet that fits. It may just be warm enough for you. Then you may not need anything else. It has the added benefit of protecting your head from banging against immovable objects, too. Wink

Disclaimer: I started skiing decades ago, before ski helmets. So I have many hats, of various color matching my jackets! Smile But if I were to start all over again, I'll simply pick a good looking helmet and then choose my jackets to match instead.
snow conditions
Fleece hat - even my sunhat has a fleece lining and pull down earflap option.
ski holidays
abc wrote:
...It has the added benefit of protecting your head from banging against immovable objects, too. Wink

It's also good to be wearing a helmet to protect yourself when crazy hoodlums ski into you through no fault of your own. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
I''ve been skiing 'properly' on a family holiday for only a couple of years - so I'm still a relative noobie (despite what my post count might indicate wink ) I bought a cheap helmet last year - its great - keeps my ears warm and I don't lose my goggles as they stay attached at the back. I have also got a standard black thinsulate wolly pull-on hat (I'm sure you know the type) and this year have acquired an orange Spyder woolly hat that is a bit shaped at the front and sides for 'posing' in. Although the Spyder is slightly better, because it is shaped, what I did find before I had the helmet is that a woolly hat kept your head warm, but it was difficult to adjust on your head even with a goggle strap to keep the bottom of your ears warm. My helmet on the other hand does a lovely job of keeping your ears warm - I only have a cheap one - about £18 off ebay its a Canyon Slide in silver. If you want my advice I'd suggest getting a helmet - I've seem quite a proportion of people wearing one where I go in Switzerland.

B.t.w. the concept of neck tube I know, but the term 'buff' is buffling me wink
snow report
Megamum, it's like a neck tube but thin material whcih you can twist and wear as a hat, or any number of differnet ways

http://www.buffusa.com/
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
but the term 'buff' is buffling me wink

It's a trade name. http://www.buffusa.com
ski holidays
FenlandSkier wrote:
No-one's owning up to wearing a comedy hat with horns/antlers/ears yet Very Happy

I've got bear ears on my helmet. Does that count?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
More often than not a headband, as it keeps my hair out of my eyes, and does not fall over them like my hat does. Not only do pixies need smaller length skiwear, they need smaller hats that aren't kiddies novelty ones. I don't like hats much anyway, and not sure I could bear wearing a helmet all day.
snow report
Helmet and Buff! Buff doubles up as headband at lunchbreaks to hide helmet hair and provent me getting a sunburnt forehead.
snow report
Quote:

Awwww now you got me thinking we need helmets

Don't wanna look like a noob on the slopes though

Whether or not you decide to get helmets, it's not got much to do with looking like a "noob". From what I have seen it is the more serious and hardcore skiers who wear helmets, often those who go off piste and are therefore more likely to encounter rocks. If you're coming up for your first ski holiday it's probably best to avoid buying too much in advance. If it's a warm week you won't need much, and if it's cold, it's fun shopping for it in resort. The best way to look like a "noob" is having new matching everything. Since acquiring a helmet for snowboarding I now wear it all the time, because it's much more comfortable than a hat (doesn't make my head itch) and saves making any decisions. It also has piped music. But it has adjustable vents - I wouldn't like to wear one without. On very cold days I wear a silk balaclava underneath.
snow report
A fleece hat by Patagonia....... it is the business for warmth....
snow report
salomon helmet Smile
snow report
Giro 9.9, Grey with flames. Very Happy
snow conditions
Cebe helmet.
snow report
Giro 9 helmet. I now prefer a helmet to a hat.
ski holidays
hair - my own!
ski holidays
A Marks & Sparks brown tan stocking for work.

I'm a bank robber.
latest report
I really detest headwear. Can just about cope with a baseball cap. If it is really cold, then I'll just utilise the hood on my jacket,
ski holidays
Not that long ago was nothing, now helmet +/- buff.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy