Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dual use Tele and All mountain Ski

Poster: A snowHead
Just got a credit note from S&R for my defective K2 recons and need to think about a new pair of boards.

Ideally a ski with flat mounting surface that can take the VIST interchange binding and can be used for tele or alpine.

I liked the K2 recon and DONT want a twin tip due to roostering.

I am 6'4" and 98kg agressive alpine skier and beginner telemarker...any thoughts ??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scott Mission.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I seem to remember that you have always been a big fan of the SM's would they be good for tele?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, Personally, i'm not a Fan, many are and we do sell alot and i can see it's positives. I think given your profile above it would cover every base; On/Off Piste, Tele/Alpine very well.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Tah, what do you fancy.....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I am 6'4" and 98kg agressive alpine skier and beginner telemarker...any thoughts ??

Not sure whether agressive alpine + beginner tele = the same ski
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, I have narrow skis for the piste and fat boys for powder, so these middle ground type skis aren't for me but if you have to have one ski for all, i'm tempted by the Volkl Bridge as i slept with the Karma for 5 years, i would suggest this, but it's a Twin.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret, There's no stopping you is there Laughing Let's both ask Richard on Saturday; I've got some old skis that are begging to be converted
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, does the bridge rooster much, i dont mind a twin tip, but find it annoying skiing behind one. The recons have a small upturn but dont seem to through up much snow.....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, I'd stick to the Mision, yes the Bridge will rooster, part of the reason i ski an all mountain twin!!!!! Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maybe some rooster isnt such a bad thing Toofy Grin what are the bridges like?

The recons were 78 waist which felt pretty wide to me can you carve a short turn in the missions with their 89 waist. Maybe i am a bit old fashioned but i havent skiied anything wider than the recons am i missing out?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nick W, bit of an opportunity really as i trashed the recons with 8 weeks on them and K2/S&R gave me a credit note which was cool...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, just curious but how do you plan to interchange bindings betwen Tele and Alpine - does the VIST system allow this?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
balernoStu, yeah contact Spyderjon or kiwi1 for details on the vist sytem...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
balernoStu, The speedlock plate. The plate allows for an alpine binding to be moved to different possition in seconds or taken off. The bindings have pins instead srews. We also have what is called an interface plate. A tele binding is mounted to the interface plate which peeps can buy pre drilled for a G3 or Rotefella binding or blank for any other tele binding. This interface has the same pins that are found on the speedlock bindings which allow it to attach to the speedlock plate.

It means you can have 1 pair of skis and use them with tele or alpine bindings. (it takes about 30 seconds to change between alpine and tele bindings)

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 31-08-07 13:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
kiwi1, to get a rough idea what would the binding system cost with an adapter plate?
snow conditions
skimottaret, Let me get back to you mate. I'm in another office today and haven't got my RRP prices to hand.
latest report
Roostering is definitely a good fun thing. I've thought hard about the VIST pate thing but sort of decided that the skis I still have to mount Alpine won't really be suitable for my level of tele so I'd still be better saving the weight( & cost of the VIST plates etc) with a dedicated tele set up.
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
Maybe some rooster isnt such a bad thing Toofy Grin what are the bridges like?

The recons were 78 waist which felt pretty wide to me can you carve a short turn in the missions with their 89 waist. Maybe i am a bit old fashioned but i havent skiied anything wider than the recons am i missing out?

People generally go wider because the offpiste performance is better. Every ski is a compromise but if short turns on piste are more important to you than extra performance in the offpiste I doubt you are missing much.
snow report
DB, i have some SL skis for on piste but to be honest i dont ski way off piste and more side country type stuff which has typically been skied and chopped up. so want probably more of a "mid-fat" that can run on piste and icy conditions as opposed to perfect deep powder which i rarely get to ski on...

fatbob, I am just weighing up options at the moment, and am not sure the one ski fits all works but having to lug around tele and alpine skis doesnt appeal hence the interest in the VIST system. would say a scott mission 183 or karma185 be rubbish for tele? I am hoping to get a tele ski that can take me to level 1 standard and may have to suffer "a bit to advanced " to begin with...
snow conditions
Movement Kamasutra. Billed as a freestyle ski but i've seen a ton of tele's riding them
snow conditions
skimottaret,

Maybe these links will help .......

http://www.telemarkski.com/html/intro_tele_ski.html

http://www.telemarkski.com/html/how_tele_compare_ski.html

If you like K2's ......
http://www.telemarkski.com/html/rvw_k2_world_piste_0708.html
ski holidays
DB, cheers will have a look
latest report
Quote:

lug around tele and alpine skis doesnt a

Just a thought - tele skis, with non-release bindings, weigh much less than Alpine. Carrying two pairs isn't too much of a trial snowHead Carrying two pairs of boots - now that is a PITA
snow report
skimottaret, 30% of Icelantic Nomad skiers in the US are free heelers and rave about the ski as teleski. The Alpine performace of the Nomad speaks for itself. I'm going to arrange for a couple of pairs of interfaces to be mounted with G3 or Rotefella bindings and will give them to Spyderjon for demos so peeps can try the Nomads as a tele and alpine ski.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 31-08-07 13:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
My tele mate used Salomon piste skis for tele (1080's, maybe ) and did ok whilst building up his skills...but then went for a specliast tele ski which he is now delighted with. He liked the firmness in the shovel on his new pair if that makes sense and it appeared to help and bring on his skiing. It will be for the telemarkers to make sense of that but it sounds to me quite a tricky posser.

Maybe a softer Mission type ski isn't a bad idea if you need some forgivenss with Tele skills at this stage..!!!

I can't say I have noticed alpine skis on telemarkers but then that might just be me missing something...

If the Mission doesn't work, then at least you will have plenty of takers for an alpine ski.. ditto Karma, I'd have thought although they might be an older design and less appealing..!!
snow report
Stockli Stormrider XL obviously... Stiff tail, bit of width and faaaaaaaaaast!
ski holidays
Quote:

bit of width

Powderhound, It's 75mm in the waist. Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks, hence 'bit of width', not 'fat' or 'wide' or 'narrow'. It's all relative; bit is less than lot and more than not much but still some.

Happy? And I thought I was the pedant!!

rolling eyes
ski holidays
kiwi1 wrote:
skimottaret, 30% of Icelantic Nomad skiers in the US are free heelers and rave about the ski as teleski. The Alpine performace of the Nomad speaks for itself. I'm going to arrange for a couple of pairs of interfaces to be mounted with G3 or Rotefella bindings and will give them to Spyderjon for demos so peeps can try the Nomads as a tele and alpine ski.

That is a great idea and would love to try a pair at some point...
ski holidays
Quote:

It's all relative

Yep, exactly my point. Cool
snow report
Have to say i am liking the sound of the Missions due to having width but a shorter turn radius and if they hold on ice sound ideal.

closely followed by Karmas/bridge and the K2 recons. The Stocklis might work as well but seem a bit of a GS type ski to me. also the DB site throws up K2 world piste as an all round ski....

have looked at some of the fatter skis but all seem to have big turn radii and i like something that turns quick, i prefer tight shorter turns off piste not big blasting GS...

A few mates where on movements and not sure they were karmasutras or sparks but they seemed very soft and floppy to me. The Nomads sound too short and fat for me.
latest report
The XL is a b0ll0cking ski in the right lenght............couldn't say whether it is wide enough or too stiff for tele...but it is a b0ll0cking ski an I would have thought that the turn radius is suitable for tele.. IMV..!!

I am no telemarker, mind..

Horses and courses and all that, but I think it is a better ski than the Mission, FWIW.........and the Recon for that matter...................just my POV, mind..!!
snow report
JT, what is right length? and why "boll0cking"?
ski holidays
I've skied it alpine and I am 6 foot plus and 13 st and bits. The 174 is a really zippy number for my stats and holds a turn on ice like it is on rails. The 184 is a beefier ski and does the same but it is harder work and you really have to be on top of it. I would prefer maybe a 180 for all mountain...hence it is between lenghts for me, I feel.
It floats well for its width but you have to pay attention to the tips in deeper stuff ( in 174) and if you are just off balance it might dive. The 184 is much better but its stiffness makes it more of a handful unless going pretty fast and you lose the sheer fun of throwing it around
So it feels between lenghts for me... having said that, I fancy the DP pro at 184 for purely off-piste.

I know some tourers on XL's but am not sure I have seen any tele's.

For Alpine amd horsing around, it is a fast blassssstttttt as Powderhound says.

If you are anywhere near a Stockli test centre they have racks and racks of them. Might be an idea to call them and ask if they would call it a tele ski, They are pretty helpful and know their skis..IME
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
kiwi1, to get a rough idea what would the binding system cost with an adapter plate?

skimottaret, I've PM'd you.

Are S&R carrying the Missions this season as last year they only had the Aztec Pro?
snow report
Another suggestion .......

Stockli Stormrider XXL 2008
Lengths: 170-178-186 cm
Sidecut: 122-80-108 mm
Radius: 18.8 m / 178 cm

PS S&R might not carry the right ski for you. It may be better for you to trade your voucher with someone and put that towards the right ski. We can all guess what ski might be for you but the proof of the pudding is in the eating- unless you get yourself on a few of these skis you might always be wondering if the grass is greener.
snow conditions
Had a chat with my tele instructor on saturday after a two hour lesson and he recons the Karmas are ideal as the twin tips have a less stiffer tail which is a good thing for tele and wasnt keen on the Stocklis as too stiff. He uses them himself... THought the mission would do but he likes to ski a length shorter on tele gear than alpine and felt the twin tip would be a better solution. I personally like a shorter ski so

Had a look at the new recons which have the same S**t binding attachment system as last year so wont be going down that route.

Movement got high marks from my tele guy but kinda hard to find to demo...

EB have a set of demo missions that i will try and will be getting in the new karma/bridge soon

Leaning towards the Karma and big roosters during big fat schrelpin alpine turns Toofy Grin Toofy Grin might go short with the 177's but would like to check out some 185's if poss.
snow report
skimottaret, The Karma had a re-enforced tail, as too has the Bridge, this for me was a big positive, as it gives them a kick when using them on the piste. I found huge differences in the ski-ability between the 177 and the 184/5. The 177 being a dream, very manouverable, the 184/5 was a plank! Little Angel
ski holidays
skimottaret, I skied on the Karmas a lot last season (in 177) - they were great fun, and very versatile. I'd guess the 177 would be too short for you with alpine bindings, although if Richard recommends a size shorter for telemark setup 177 might be right.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy