Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drills to improve stance

Poster: A snowHead
My son has just seen himself on video and was horrified. He had a whole different perception of what he would look like on skis! I'm no expert but he seems to lean back in his boots and bend forward at the waist. Was wondering if any of you technical types could suggest any drills that would help improve his stance.
A few months ago someone suggested blades saying that you can't lean back on blades- but he managed.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have someone check his boots for too much forward lean?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
comprex, He wears hired boots. Do you think it would help if I got him fitted with his own?
Why too much forward lean if he sits back?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A series of improver lessons would be a good start.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
He has had quite a few sets of lessons. The last set was an intensive weeks course in July, all of his teachers have tried to sort it out but it seems to be quite a stubborn problem.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sounds like he may have very limited ankle flex. His butt in the backseat and his upperbody leaning forward to compensate.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ickabodblue, fair chance, yes.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ickabodblue, how old is he?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
little tiger wrote:
ickabodblue, how old is he?

Damn you little tiger - that was my question wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

he seems to lean back in his boots and bend forward at the waist.

I recognise that description, I think it was what I did when instructors used to tell me to "get the weight forward". In my daughter's immortal expression, think "shag not sh*t". Same thing as surfing, windsurfing, etc. Gotta get the pelvic tilt right. Might be a useful thought if your son has reached puberty. Easiski's exercises on ankle flex and hopping weight around helped me a lot. "Stand up from the knees", as she says. If he can't flex his ankles so that his hips are over his bindings he needs to do the exercises to stretch the relevant calf muscle (stretch leg back, then bend knee forward). And/or get more flexible, soft, boots. And tell him not to wear stilettos, they'll shorten his hamstrings something terrible.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
little tiger, PhillipStanton, He is seven
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, He's seven.... That said he definately looks more sh*t than shag. I haven't checked his range of movement at the ankle joint but i will do in the morning, and I'll hide my stilettos Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does he enjoy himself ? I saw myself on video and it brought to mind "sack of spuds on a pair of floor boards" - I have a great time Very Happy snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jerry, He does enjoy himself yes, I think he just had this mental picture of himself that wasn't really that accurate - don't we all - It's just a bit harder to take when you're seven. Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ickabodblue, if he is 7 have him pretend there is a mouse in his boot and see if he can make it squeek when he presses his shin forward......
ski holidays
ickabodblue wrote:
- don't we all -

Yes.

It doesn't get any easier to accept when you're 40!
latest report
It will be interesting to see what the professionals say. Small kids often seem to have that kind of stance, something about the way their bodies work. Maybe it's not anything to be too bothered about at this stage? Certainly best if he isn't made to feel bothered about it, and keeps enjoying himself. You do see kids that age who ski beautifully, but they usually are the local ski club, who have had professional race training since they were 3, not Brit visitors.

I am a keen watcher of kids on skateboards (and those new wiggly things with a joint, where they can propel themselves without scooting). It seems that they often have really good stance - and plenty of ankle flex. Because they have nothing to lean against they either have good stance or they fall off. The newbies copy the local heroes and pick up that cool, sagged, relaxed, stance with weight over the board. Maybe that would be a better way of tackling it, just send him out to the park with his mates? I wish skateboards had been around when I was 7.
snow report
ickabodblue wrote:
little tiger, PhillipStanton, He is seven

ickabodblue - a couple of suggestions - neither of which are exercise-based.

Young children have a different centre of mass and physiology than adults and will naturally sit back much more than adults when flexing. The BASI Trainers I shadowed last winter generally didn't see it as an issue (I only know because I asked why they weren't addressing the "issue"). I don't, however, know at what age they would start to worry about it. But I suspect seven is too young to be worried about it. Someone here will know much more about this than me.

Also, at seven it's unlikely to be an ankle flex issue as such. One of the reasons that kids break themselves less than adults is that they are naturally more stretchy. It could be, though, that he simply doesnt have the strength yet to flex the ski boots he's been in and that they're too stiff. He could even be just doing them up too tightly.
snow conditions
PhillipStanton, Thanks for that - I checked his ROM round the ankle and all is fine. I didn't worry about it too much when he was snowploughing everywhere but now that he does parallel turns it does look a bit odd. It's not me who is bothered though, it's him, he says he looks like a dork!
His teacher tried getting him to ski with the top clip of his boots undone, not sure what that was meant to do but it didn't work. I will probably get him his own boots and see if that helps, failing that he is young and enjoying his skiing so I'll just keep the camera away for a while. That's very difficult for a proud mother!! Little Angel
ski holidays
Quote:

His teacher tried getting him to ski with the top clip of his boots undone, not sure what that was meant to do but it didn't work.

THen it probably isnt an equipment issue but a technique issue. getting his own (comfortable) boots is a good idea but wont magically solve the problem.

Try a longer lesson perhaps, if he had just an hour it can be difficult to effect change through instruction. There are loads of drills to fix this problem but need to be demoed correctly and evaluated to see how he is getting on. Having you explain to him a drill you heard here wont do much good.
snow report
skimottaret, So you don't think it is just an age thing then?
He does get a lot of instruction - private lesson once a week, group lesson once a week and visits to the snowdome for fun every month or so. I haven't spoken to his teacher about it yet 'cos as I said I wasn't that worried about it and neither is his teacher as far as I know. Should I be asking him to address the prob?
snow report
i am guessing his instruction is on a dry slope and sitting back on that surface is easily ingrained and can be difficult to eliminate. As he is 7 i wouldnt be too worried, his body is doing what feels right for him and as PhillipStanton said probably doesnt have the strenght to flex the boots properly. What I would do now that he can ski parallel is get him doing fore/aft balance drills to "feel" what he saw on teh video. His instructor should have a few of these up his/her sleeve.
snow report
skimottaret, Will do. Thanks for that
snow conditions
ickabodblue, I generally find that the critical thing for small kids is ski length. If they have skis that only come up to their chest they generally stop leaning back. It seems to be something generated by the trouble they have controlling the long front end of the skis. You will have to fight the ski shop and other instructors though on this one.

That said, unless it's very extreme, he'll be able to adjust when he's about 10 or 11. However fixing it now is a good idea. Turning on one ski is good and hopping exercises (you can't hop from your heel). Be a rabbit, or a one legged person - just invent a suitable 7 year old game. Same ex, different name! If they don't like spiders they can squash spiders under their toes (but I had a boy once who insisted on squashing puppies!) If he likes dancing be a ballet dancer .... you get the picture. Don't make it hard work - poor little lad having such a shock - he's too young to work hard at it unless he wants to be a racer.
snow conditions
The idea of unclipping the boots is to make sure you're stood on you feet and not using your boots to hold you up.

Ask the teacher - they've probably got method in their madness.
ski holidays
PhillipStanton, Yes - but I would not do it with a 7 year old!

He needs to be playing games to improve, not doing exercises and certainly not drills! It's all in a name.
latest report
easiski, I had hoped you'd drop by. The video was dads idea because we were both so proud, we never dreamed it would backfire like it did. It was meant to show him how well he was doing! He is a very serious little boy who does work hard at it, we try to get him to lighten up but that's just his nature.
I know the hopping exercise and I'm sure if mummy makes a fool of herself being a bunny he'll join in, it'll do me a lot of good as well. I draw the line at squashing puppies though!!!
I'm on good terms with the blokes in the ski store and they'll let him try shorter skis no problem. He has just moved up to 120s and now that you mention it I don't think that was a good move.
snow conditions
ickabodblue, It's all to do with the development of muscles in growing children - muscles develop trunk out. Small kiddies have disproportionately larger heads , CoM's are higher in kids than adults etc.

At seven he is just on the cusp of developing his lower body and muscles in the extremities - he won't have the ability and/or srength in his lower joints to effectively centre himself in his boots/skis - which is why you see him using his trunk to refine balance.

Neurological control develops from the head down to their feet - adults learning to ski often fall back on this method, thus we witness adult learners trying to turn with their shoulders rather than their feet.

So - because motor control and muscular strength are not well developed until adolesence, kids use their bones and equipment rather than their muscles to support their frames. The lower joints are stacked one over the other resulting in a wide straight legged stance with their hips aligned over the heels and the back of the boot supporting some of the weight. When extra forces are put on the ski in steeper terrain and/or more speed, the need to "lock" into this position in an effort to resist the forces is greater. Some adult learners fall back into this form too!

As the kid grows, say from 8,9 upwards (depending on individual development), they develop sufficient muscle strength for instructors ro begin encouraging a centred stance and increasingly refined motor skills through games.

This has been brought to you courtesy of the CSIA Teaching Children module. Now, who was it that boorishly once remarked that ski instruction wasn't medicine? Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
veeeight wrote:
This has been brought to you courtesy of the CSIA Teaching Children module. Now, who was it that boorishly once remarked that ski instruction wasn't medicine? Laughing

Thank you Doctor!
latest report
veeeight - Cool
snow report
veeeight, Ok, I'll stop worrying and leave the kid alone for a few years! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
veeeight, fascinating. I've always wondered why so many kids adopt the 'racing snowplough' position!
snow report
veeeight, isn't and never will be, dear, but do keep trying! Laughing I'm so proud Blush - never been described as boorish before Very Happy
snow conditions
Hurtle, Most do, but it can be avoided I find (to a fair degree) by very short skis, and by doing as much parallel as possible as soon as possible. Very Happy

ickabodblue, See if you can get an instructor to teach him something neither parent can do - they love that. With the bunny make sure mum gets the short front legs right, and the teeth - it must be realistic!! Laughing Laughing (seriously).
snow conditions
Take him cross-country skiing every now and then. The soft boots give no rear support so you have to stand in the middle of the ski.
latest report
I have noticed a similar stance in my kids - when I queried it I was given the following explanation by my Swiss friends who have been skiing since before they could walk and who have two kids of similar ages to my own - please note I'm about the farthest thing to an expert on here, but would be interested if this sounds about right - I think it sorts of fits in with the more complicated reasonings given above.

'When an adult skis if they have their weight behind the skis the ski's are likely to run away and deposit you in embarassing positions on the slope (personal experience supports this).

When younger children ski their weight is not sufficient to overcome the inertia of the ski's and move them down the mountain when they lean forward, so they tend to lean backwards to encourage the 'running away' of the skis that us adults know about.

In time as they grow and get heavier their own experience on the skis should gradually move their weight forwards as they get heavy enough to overcome the inertia'

There.....now I didn't think I'd have a comment for this thread Toofy Grin Was it worth posting?
snow conditions
veeeight wrote:

As the kid grows, say from 8,9 upwards (depending on individual development), they develop sufficient muscle strength for instructors ro begin encouraging a centred stance and increasingly refined motor skills through games.

Ah glad you popped in and posted that.... I knew the general idea - hence teh age question... but was not strong on teh exact details...

I was going to try placing an SOS to friends tonight if no-one else had managed to enter the detail
snow report
Megamum wrote:
There.....now I didn't think I'd have a comment for this thread Toofy Grin Was it worth posting?

To be honest I think I preferred veeeight's answer Wink
ski holidays
rob@rar, Well, I did say that I felt the explanation was analogous with the more 'in depth' explanations already posted. I liked it because it was simple to follow and did seem to have a little logic behind it. snowHead
snow report
Megamum wrote:
rob@rar, Well, I did say that I felt the explanation was analogous with the more 'in depth' explanations already posted. I liked it because it was simple to follow and did seem to have a little logic behind it. snowHead

The problem with the explanation is that it says that kids adopt that stance deliberately. They don't, it happens automatically for physiological reasons, so while their explanation might have sounded logical it was wrong.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy