Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My season conundrum

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to do a ski season in december; I've been skiing for 17 years and tried snowboarding a couple of times, do I:

a) just ski
b) ski and learn/ perfect my snowboarding.

I'm seeing it as the best opportunity I'll get to learn to board, but at the same time is there any point - should I just spend my time blasting all over the mountain.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
5stitches, If you're there for the full season why not give boarding a decent go Puzzled You may love it, you may hate it, you may be rubbish at it but at least you'll have tried, will know one way or the other, and not lost very much in terms of time which can be spent blasting around the mountain. I speak as someone who has absolutely no interest in learning to board and would only ever want to ski, but if you've tried it a couple of times, and are interested enough to consider perfecting it ........
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
5stitches, duhhh! Learn to board on the days sking is pants (i.e. when it's raining).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Murdoch, that was the plan, my wife also likes the idea that on a board i'll be slower than her
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does boaring "speak to you"? (or are you semi-bored of skiing?)

If it doesn't, no sense wasting your time. But if it does, you should listen!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd recommend learning to board if only to give your skiing muscles a rest and a bit of motivation to do something on the days when its been a while since the last snowfall or when off-piste is just too dangerous.

Its amazing how many seasonnaires get in a habit of only skiing/boarding on days when conditions are very good and it can be good to have an alternative which doesn't rely on sitting in the bar or playing playstation all day.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abc, I'm not bored of skiing, though I did enjoy boarding when I did it. I suppose asfatbob, it'll give me something to do on the days when I would possibly chose not to ski.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Plan to do a little of both, once you're in resort and hook up with people you'll end up doing what your friends are into. It does also depend on which resort you go to, for instance, if you came to Verbier you'd give up snowboarding because you'll get bored of everyone laughing at you...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
5stitches - do the boarding as well - your knees will thank you for it.

And you'll also realise why you prefer skiing wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
parlor wrote:
Plan to do a little of both, once you're in resort and hook up with people you'll end up doing what your friends are into. It does also depend on which resort you go to, for instance, if you came to Verbier you'd give up snowboarding because you'll get bored of everyone laughing at you...

Actually fair point..or is this just a subtle ploy parlor to suggest telemarking (or ski boarding wink )at a later point? Snowboarding has its place but its not where the best goods are accessed by traverses
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
5stitches,
Do both- see which you enjoy most then do that more rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you are genuinely an expert skier, then you should board all season.

You will soon be an expert boarder. It only takes 5 - 10 weeks if you're under 30.

But if you are just an advanced or intermediate skier, then you should stick to skiing for the season.

Better to be among the best in one sport, rather than average at both.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

learn/ perfect my snowboarding.

That thing. (And remember that Whitegold talks toilet - it will take you significantly longer than 10 weeks to call yourself an 'expert' boarder.)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also:

Quote:

Snowboarding has its place but its not where the best goods are accessed by traverses

Only if you're cr@p at it.

Quote:

Why? And why isn't it possible to be good at both?

Quote:

if you came to Verbier you'd give up snowboarding because you'll get bored of everyone laughing at you...

What an absolutely splendid reason never to consider going anywhere near Verbier.

One of the reasons I went for boarding last season was that I was tired of being pigeonholed. I love being asked 'skier or boarder?' and watching the confused expressions on their stupid little faces when I say 'oh, either'. (subtext: 'You can't do both? Oh what a shame.' *pitying look*) Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard wrote:
Also:
Quote:

More over, learning one helps the other. Excellent way to break out of the intermediate plaeteur!
ski holidays
Quote:

the intermediate plaeteur!

The what?? Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:

Quote:

the intermediate plaeteur!

The what??

It's French for intermediate plonker (rhymes with auteur). I decided to learn to board because learning new things is good for your brain, learning new physical skills is also good for your body, and I thought it would be fun. The skiers I know who have tried boarding and quickly given it up were mainly afraid of looking like a beginner again, which is about the most stupid reason one could possibly imagine for not doing something new. You really have to feel sorry for someone who has decided never to do anything they can't do well already!
snow conditions
Try boarding, then you can be in with the crowd when showing off your x-rays in the bar (seasonnaire boarders do seem more prone to broken/dislocated bones than seasonnaire skiiers).
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Also:

Quote:

Snowboarding has its place but its not where the best goods are accessed by traverses

Only if you're cr@p at it.

Quote:

Quote:

if you came to Verbier you'd give up snowboarding because you'll get bored of everyone laughing at you...

What an absolutely splendid reason never to consider going anywhere near Verbier.

One of the reasons I went for boarding last season was that I was tired of being pigeonholed. I love being asked 'skier or boarder?' and watching the confused expressions on their stupid little faces when I say 'oh, either'. (subtext: 'You can't do both? Oh what a shame.' *pitying look*) Laughing Laughing

Not wishing to get into a micturation contest but I'd guess I've got at least as much experience as you of traversing on a snowboard and there are some places (narrow ski track, slight uphill pitch, bunch of people coming through fast behind, short climbs over rocks) where it is definitely a pain in the backside.

I advocate doing everything on snow (other than ski-boarding because somethings are just too embarassing wink) but they are not all equal in all respects. For instance losing a ski on a steep powder pitch sucks badly.
ski holidays
I started boarding proper whilst doing my season- I did honestly get bored of skiing and wanted to try something else out. Seemed a good opportunity so a friend and I used to practise together all the time, had the odd private lesson, and lessons off mates - and im not bad now!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Lizzard wrote:
it will take you significantly longer than 10 weeks to call yourself an 'expert' boarder.)

Dunno about expert but the time taken to get from beginner to reasonably good boarder is much, much shorter than it is for skis.
snow report
brian, From the comment about Whitegold, talking "toilet" I must assume that she is a slow learner Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

Dunno about expert but the time taken to get from beginner to reasonably good boarder is much, much shorter than it is for skis.

I'm not so sure about this now. Having boarded for ten years I had my first go at skiing last season and was pretty comfortable coming down (relatively) easy red runs within a few days which was no different to when I learnt to snowboard. However, when i learnt to board I was fit, young (low 20s) and on the board all day. last year I was fat, late 30s and only able to ski for a few hours per day due to young family. In my entire week skiing I fell over just five times - only one of which was when I was actively skiing. Others involved getting on/off lifts and trying to ski backwards.

Clearly the 10 years boarding mean I have a better understanding of sliding and snow then a complete newbie so can adjust my balance accordingly and am not frightened by steeper slopes or going faster. However I am now much more aware of my own mortality than I was 10-15 years ago. Falling over now hurst and getting up again is tiring.

Some things are much easier on skis such as going straight, using drag lifts and dealing with flats. Boarding has a number of advanatages as well - no poles, comfy boots, easy to sit down/get up. I also find turning on a board much easier and more intuitive than on skis but that may be related to experience rather than the underlying sliding implement.

Boarding is more physically demanding than skiing for me and nothing beats a powder day on a board but with a young family and as past injuries start to wear me down I'm now seeing the benefits of skiing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy