Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Train to Wengen?

Poster: A snowHead
Ok I know there is a thread on the Jungfrau region about 5 down from this one, but at 95 pages Shocked I thought I'd be better off asking in a new thread Embarassed Very Happy

Looking at a week in Wengen next Feb/March as a 'first taste' of Swiss skiing. probably staying at the Sunstar because I can use a time-share swap to do so 'for free' snowHead .

from reading the other threads (yes I did do a search before posting this - honest) It sounds like taking the train from either Zurich or Geneva is a good plan, rather than the PITA of car hire. so questions:

which route is better/shorter when using the train, Geneva or Zurich?
Can I use the 'transfer card' ticket and is it likely to be cheaper
How about Eurostar all the way, is it possible? change in Paris I guess? anyone done this?

Any thoughts on the sunstar?
Any other comments on Wengen as a playground for two aging intermediates, sans enfants, who are fond of red runs and beer?

Thanx in advance snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AxsMan, you going to come when the MSB's on then?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen Beaumont, Hi Helen, I hadn't looked at the MSB dates (or venue!) but actually it could work out that way. I have put in a swap request (can't make a firm booking yet) and asked for that week or either of the two before. Would be great if we did get the MSB week, at the moment it's in the hands of Interval snowHead

(thinking about it, if we got the week before maybe we could 'extend' and stay for the MSB, hmmm, will have to consult the boss Very Happy )
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AxsMan, I am on the point of booking Sunstar at Wengen for Christmas. The online reviews are all positive and it looks good. I will keep you informed!

snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AxsMan, Zurich is the slightly shorter journey compared to Geneva, slightly more scenic as well, thogh the views of the lake at Geneva are great, transfer ticket from either is cheaper than the return rail ticket. In both cases the station is below the Airport and Swiss trains are almost always nice to travel on

You can Eurostar the route, change in Paris and take the sleeper but you end up changing at Basle arround 5am Shocked On the other hand if you'd like to overnight in Paris you can get a TGV direct from Paris to Bern first thing in the morning or there are a number of alternative less direct routes with changes at Strasbourg, Basle or Geneva etc taking between 4:30 and 6:00 hrs.

The Sunstar is a nice 4* hotel, perhaps not great (few chain hotels are) but definately nice, Wengen is a great area if you like lots of Red runs or long Blue runs, it has very few Black runs though.

Hope that helps Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh this will take yo to the Swiss rail timetable, yes it works out trains to Wengen from Paris it will even do so from London but not from other UK locations
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Many thanx everyone snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After experiencing the Uk rail system I was sceptical of all the claims made of the swiss railways and using them for the transfer for the MSB but after doing the trip I'm converted Very Happy It was so easy & punctual that it makes our railways look a complete joke.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FenlandSkier, that's because our railways are a complete joke, what makes it even funnier is that like much of the world the original Swiss Mainline rail system was designed by British engineers, My how the mighty have fallen Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I love the double decker trains in Switzerland...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I love being able to wheel luggage trolleys on to trains in Switzerland...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just been looking round the web and found that Flybe does flights from Birmingham to Berne every Saturday, and that there is (or there was last year) a connecting bus which leaves 20 mins after the flight gets in and goes to the Lauterbrunnen. Transfer costs look like £30 each return and travel time is 1 hr 45 making this the quickest and cheapest option I can see. Did anyone use this route last year? are Swiss coaches as reliable as their trains?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Train from Bern to Wengen is every 30 minutes, travel time to Wengen (Not lauterbrunnen!) 1 hr 50.
Change at Interlaken Ost and Lauterbrunnen.

Price CHF 31.6 per person one way. (Around 15ish quid)

Cheaper and faster.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FenlandSkier wrote:
After experiencing the Uk rail system I was sceptical of all the claims made of the swiss railways and using them for the transfer for the MSB but after doing the trip I'm converted Very Happy It was so easy & punctual that it makes our railways look a complete joke.

There is a lovely swiss company that sends a train to Amsterdam every night and back too... Its my preferred way to go to Switzerland... Swiss trains rule
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AxsMan,

I would imagine they are.... I've used post buses and they are every bit as punctual as the trains. It seems to me that Swiss transport does exactly what it says it will on the tin..!!!
snow report
Quote:

Train from Bern to Wengen is every 30 minutes, travel time to Wengen (Not lauterbrunnen!) 1 hr 50.
Change at Interlaken Ost and Lauterbrunnen.

Maybe from Bern centre, but (according to sbb timetables) from the airport it's not so easy, with min. 4 changes involved *. Much easier to get on the bus if you're taking the FlyBE flights.

I was considering this myself ealier in the year, in the end decided to fly into Basel due mainly to cost of flights.

* unless more direct services are offered in the winter
snow conditions
Quote:
Much easier to get on the bus if you're taking the FlyBE flights.

But in general terms I'm a big fan of the Swiss railways.
The Swiss Transfer Ticket for approx £55 works out great value.
Easyjet now fly into Zurich from Luton if that is any good for you.
ski holidays
Thanks all, will look into the train option, but as masmith, says, the coach looks pretty convenient. Very Happy
snow conditions
AxsMan, I think Achilles used that FlyBe route for the MSB last season, might be worth having a word with him on timings/ease of use.
snow report
AxsMan, if the same people are doing the coach transfers it's not even as long as they allow, two years ago it took all of an hour from the time I stood up in the aircraft at Bern to the time I got off the Bus at Lauterbrunnen, basically if the bus doesn't need to stop at other locations to drop people off it will go straight to Lauterbrunnen
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy