Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alaska - anything for non Heli Ski ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
has anyone skiied in Alaska ?

Got a mate going out there with his family and thinking of going to see him next year (or the year after) and wondering when the best time to go would be.

he'll be based in Anchorage.

If we went in the Spring, would we be able to find any Skiing for the the whole family - I know about the heli-skiing and would be tempted for myself, but is there anything for the wife and Kids ?

many thanks

Simon
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes is the short answer. Someone more knowledgeable than me will come along soon but I a pilot friend who isn't a great skier and skis around Anchorage a fair bit.

Plenty to do and see, not sure what time of the year is best but I would have thought March / April.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Aleaska (don't quote me on the spelling), about an hour outside of Anchorage. There's even a train to get you there. Otherwise, there're ski buses. A few snowheads has been there.

March is the time. Warmer and longer days. April would be even better, but I think resorts start closing sometimes. Lack of skiers, not snow.

I've been to Alaska twice, both in the summer. If I can only visit Alaska once, I'd make it in the summer instead of winter. Unless you go cat/heli skiing, the skiing doesn't appear to be anything special. And you miss the bears and moose and caraboos.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc wrote:

I've been to Alaska twice, both in the summer. If I can only visit Alaska once, I'd make it in the summer instead of winter. Unless you go cat/heli skiing, the skiing doesn't appear to be anything special. And you miss the bears and moose and caraboos.

Mind you, I guess if you go in Winter you also miss the Summer mosquitoes wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Mind you, I guess if you go in Winter you also miss the Summer mosquitoes

Hey, that's the un-official state bird of Alaska! Why would you NOT want to experience it? Wink

Actually, June and July is the worst for mosquito. It gets better in August and September.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Alyeska http://www.alyeskaresort.com/

"With an average annual snowfall of 631 inches, non –existent lift lines, diverse terrain and unparalleled views, Alyeska is the Great Land and more! Mt. Alyeska offers 2,500 vertical feet of terrain. There are wide open bowls, and long top-to-bottom runs that are sure to please the intermediate, while tree-lined runs are ideal for the beginner. Boasting 2,000 vertical feet of lit night time terrain and the most spring daylight hours in the United States make skiing and snowboarding at Alyeska a unique ski or snowboard adventure. Snow-capped mountains, hanging glaciers and dancing northern lights make Alyeska Resort a winter wonderland where adventures abound. Alyeska Resort was named by Skiing Magazine as the Number 9 in the 25 Killer Trips in November 2002! It was Ranked #1 in Snow and #6 in Steeps. In November 2003, Alyeska Resort was rated #19 in North America in the Top 25 Poll! Alyeska is a true world-class resort in Alaska. "
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brian,

wink Laughing
Not according to my mates who went there..the snow was the worse in 50 years and they shut down what they had to conserve for a competition and this is not place that can afford to lose half a mountain.

It put them off going to the US ever again and I can't even get much enthusiasm from them for Utah..FFS..!!!
- such was the hype..

No 19 in North America....... ha ha ha.
And they didn't even see the northern lights....

To say I missed a turkey year and resort is a huge understatement by their admission. Shocked

maniac skiers tho' they recall.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy