Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Group of 10 short break Jan t o arrange feeling the pressure

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all....

We are a group of 10 lads flying into geneva Jan 16th back Sat Evening, we have done this trip for the last 2 years, however this time around I have offered to arrange resort/digs. The usual leader usually has had us booked up by June! and is getting twitchy over my last minute wait for the snow philisophy (in the past I have even decided where to go on the plane! admittedly there was only 2 of us that time)

Anybody has success/problems getting hotel / SC accomm last minute for that size of group mid Jan? (specifically thinking about Morzine, Courmayeur, Avoriaz, La Clusaz)
or am I risking it a bit too much?? what are my other options 2hrs from GVA?
(Chamonix out as that was last year)

I guess I am just looking for reassurance that it's worth holding fire (presumably once the the previous saturday has gne hotels would release part weeks??)

TIA
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wrongsideof30, the size of your group worries me a bit. if you all want to stay in the same place, some advance booking might be necessary.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen Beaumont wrote:
wrongsideof30, the size of your group worries me a bit. if you all want to stay in the same place, some advance booking might be necessary.

I've kind of weaned people off expecting hotel accomm and more into s/c apartments in the same block,
however if we have nowhere to change/shower on sat afternoon because we have been kicked out of the apartments then that's a problem I suppose (wish I'd kept my mouth shut and let him book it rolling eyes )
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
courmayeur is nice but i wouldnt want to spend an entire week there without having transport to take me to some of the other local resorts
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whenever we've gone in that size group, we've got something booked in advance.

With just a few of you, you can be more flexible - we've been known to switch resort mid-week when conditions are not great in low season. But for ten, it's hard enough finding something to please everyone without the stress of last-minute booking, I think.

Plus, like you say, it makes people who aren't used to doing it very jumpy.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
wrongsideof30,
A couple of years ago I did it for six of us in Verbier at the beginning of february and the previous year we did Morzine with eight of us booking, both with around two weeks to go but it was not that easy to find the places.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wrongsideof30, try chaletsdirect.com - plenty of offerings around PdS. Not peak season so some places may rather fill a chalet for half a week rather than half fill it for a full week ... could be worth a shot now or nearer the time. Just pop a message on the solutions board.

Don't envy you, I have the same job to do every year and it seems to be getting more difficult, I think because we are getting more choosy as the years go by.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wrongsideof30, I am arranging my trip for 2008 too. If you are are looking for France then the company below offers appartments for short breaks. Prices seemed pretty reasonable too, but I guess they might book up fast in the higher resorts. We're considering Avoriaz for end of Jan.

http://www.ernalow.co.uk/short-breaks.aspx
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chaletsdirect is a good idea actually - you can post in their forum and anyone with availability will reply.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
wrongsideof30, Expedia normally have apartments available (P&V, Maeva, VVF, etc) and out of peak weeks they do part week lettings.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wrongsideof30, Interhome offer loads (literally hundreds) of apartments near each other in La Clusaz and they're pretty cheap.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wrongsideof30, within 2 hours you have: Verbier and 3 Valleys. Extra 15 min gets you to La Plagne/Les Arcs. For more resorts within striking distance have a look at j2ski.com.
I have to agree with Helen Beaumont, that last minute for a goup of ten is taking a bit of a risk. I presume your are booking a rental car/cars.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PP wrote:
wrongsideof30, within 2 hours you have: Verbier and 3 Valleys. Extra 15 min gets you to La Plagne/Les Arcs. For more resorts within striking distance have a look at j2ski.com.
I have to agree with Helen Beaumont, that last minute for a goup of ten is taking a bit of a risk. I presume your are booking a rental car/cars.

Yep rental cars, I have never been on a package ski holiday yet so fairly comfortable with the mechanics, if they were my usual mates i would be fine but as they are a bit of a mixed group (age and ability wise) it's making me sweat a bit

I think I might pre-book and give avoriaz a pop, Verbier seems to put me off a bit, I'm told it's mega steep & do you really need truckloads of money?
Chamonix last year wasn't cheap but not totally mind blowing, (wasn't as steep as I anticipated either, which was a good thing, and no I didn't just go to la tour) wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wrongsideof30, have a look at this place www.mountainsunltd.com. We used to stay in Hotel Les Melezes regularly prior to change of ownership. Good location although its a bus ride to Tignes night life. Easy ski in and just about ski out.

Have no idea of what the new owners are like but they seem to have the space you require and appear to cater for short trips. Good value for money. Hope this helps.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Self catering apartments are in plentiful supply at that time of year, but I have found French agencies totally inflexible in the past, even when half their properties are patently empty they won't rent them for less than a week. But sharing a basic s/c apartment is such a minor part of the outlay you could presumably book Sat\Sat and just pay for a few extra days you won't be using. Or maybe some of the group could go for a week? One of the other obvious options is Flaine. The snow in the Flaine bowl should be as good as anywhere around there, and if the conditions are good there are plenty of options in the wider area (down to Samoens etc) which are more interesting. Extremely easy drive from Geneva. Plenty of slopeside accommodation if you're not looking for alpine charm. If I was going skiing just for half a week I'd want to be sleeping alongside the piste, not having to travel.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
One of the other obvious options is Flaine. .

Unfortunantely the nightlife is just a bit too quiet I suspect. Not that I have anything against the place have gone there in mid april for a long WE for the last 4 years snowHead
ski holidays
wrongsideof30, don't know if these would be any help http://www.flexiblebreaks.com/ Not used them myself but they seem to suggest that they are adaptable.

On a similar vein, I have used these and they may well be able to offer help in Chamonix http://www.skiweekends.com/
latest report
wrongsideof30, how short a break are you looking for? Mid Jan is usually the quietest time so we can be a bit more flexible, have a look at our website www.tracksvacations.com you may find that La Rosiere is viable option for you.
snow conditions
wrongsideof30, I can offer you sole occupancy of our hosted, self catered chalet in Morzine. Sleeps up to 12 in 4 rooms. Transfers included for £2000. Arrive any day of the week.
email me info@oopalley.co.uk for more infromation, or find me on chalets direct.

Best Wishes
Joanne
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy