Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel through France on Good Friday

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone driven through France on Good Friday? Are the roads busy or quiet? Next Year I'm planning to drive from Calais (after a crossing the previous evening) to Grenoble ready to get to Alpe D'Huez bright and early the next day. It's about 550 miles and I'll be the only driver so I wouldn't want to arrive too late.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Colin B, I've never done it on Good Friday, but I would guess it will be busy as a lot of people (french & english will be starting holidays

Get yourself sorted with telepeage to ease the problems at the peage Toofy Grin
http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2036&highlight=telepeage
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
geri, Yes I think I will as I drive over there fairly often. Although I've just got my 11 year old daughter trained to pay from the back seat to save me having to dislocate something in order to reach Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
geri wrote:
Colin B, I've never done it on Good Friday, but I would guess it will be busy as a lot of people (french & english will be starting holidays

Get yourself sorted with telepeage to ease the problems at the peage Toofy Grin
http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2036&highlight=telepeage

Like the look of the Telepeage. I have a card I use for the Severn Bridge that saves me loads fo time. Is it a case of you store money in the account and it deducts the toll from that or is there monthly fees to pay?
snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colin B, I have, the only place that was busy was where the A46 turned into the Rocade Est (N346) in Lyon. I turned off and went past the airport instead.

I spent that night in Grenoble, had no problems getting a hotel room.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gwaelod, there is a 2€ monthly fee, but only for the months that you actually use the badge. It deducts the toll from your debit or credit card. It also cost 20 euros or so for thebadge in the first place, but this is really as deposit as it is returned if you don't need the badge any more.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs, Thanks, sounds as if it should be OK to do it in the day then. I've already booked a room in Grenoble for that night.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colin B, you can miss the Lyon section altogether by going via Bourg en Bresse, then past the airport. You divert just north of Dijon onto the It is only 5 km extra, and the traffic is much lighter. A39 i think it is. It is signposted Grenoble and Geneva.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Colin B, Deffo go via Bourg en Bresse and the airport - much more pleasant, especially near the end of the journey as an only driver. Traffic on the Rocade Est of Lyon is always a nightmare.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont wrote:
gwaelod, there is a 2€ monthly fee, but only for the months that you actually use the badge. It deducts the toll from your debit or credit card. It also cost 20 euros or so for thebadge in the first place, but this is really as deposit as it is returned if you don't need the badge any more.

As part of the procees of buying a place in Les Arcs I am now in proud possession of a French bank account. Question is whether is is better to have a Telepeage or just use my French debit card. Which is quicker?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 26-08-07 17:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gwaelod, definitely the telepeage no question. On a busy weekend when you hit those queues at Lyon and you sail through when everyone else is queueing for ages............the badge lane is usually on the far left (although there are ones on the right if you are close to an exit) so you approach in the fast lane.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
gwaelod, definitely the telepeage no question. On a busy weekend when you hit those queues at Lyon and you sail through when everyone else is queueing for ages............the badge lane is usually on the far left (although there are ones on the right if you are close to an exit) so you approach in the fast lane.

Thanks Very Happy . Will add to list of things to organise. Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all. I think I came back via Bourg en Bresse in February but from the Maurienne Valley picking up a road near Chambery. Plenty of time to plan the the route anyway.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good Friday is not a public holiday in France, so it may not be quite as busy as you'd expect.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Patch, Thanks it sounds as if the journey should be fine in that case.
ski holidays
Drove to Alps for weekend ski few years back on Good Friday - was fine
snow report
We went on Good Friday this year. Traffic was light on the toll roads (although I have no other time to compare it to Very Happy )
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy