Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best resort for early season (8th/15th Dec)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm wanting to go skiing for a week before Christmas (need to use up work holiday days!), but am worried about the potential lack of snow. Any recommendations for resorts with the highest likelihood of having enough snow? I'm preferably looking at Austria, somewhere with lots of nice blues & reds and not vastly expensive.

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
becsinbath, welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd leave it to the last minute (become a webcam junkie), with those dates you are unlikely to find places booked up.
Oh and welcome.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
becsinbath,
Welcome to snowHead
I agree with Dypcdiver, far better to wait and see and fins out where has snowed or has good artificial if nowhere has.
FWIW Obertauern Lech and Ischgl all have decent blue red pistes and a good early season record but are not the cheapest.
Ski Amade region has it's advocates for early season snow and has man made and mainly gentle stuff.
I'd still wait and see though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
becsinbath,welcome to snowHead . If you don't like to leave things till the last moment (though that is the best idea) you would be unlikely to come unstuck with Tignes in mid December. You could book a flight to Geneva (those will get more expensive as time goes on, especially if it looks like there'll be good early snow, which there definitely is going to be, this year!).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
becsinbath, yep, Im here flying the Ski Amade flag! Smile Zauchensee is one of the higher places and was opened on 4th Dec last year, along with many other mountains in the area.

If you are going to leave it to the last minute - Thompsonfly did very cheap flights into Salzburg - they were cheaper the closer to the time of travel - whereas Ryanair prices went up.

Ski Amade is 45 min transfer from Salzburg airport and transfers are less than €40.

Obertauern is just up the road and opens mid November, again transfers approx €40, transfer times around 1 hour 15 mins.

Accommodation - shouldnt be a problem as its quite quiet up to Christmas week. Have a look at www.skiamade.com for further details.

Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Head as high as possible. Val d'Isere, Tignes and Val Thorens are your safest bets.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
becsinbath, we may be able to help, have a look at our website www.trcakvacations.com for details. We have availability for w/c 9th Dec in our chalet, when we take our guests to the nearest resort with good snow, we've got Tignes, Val d'Isere, Les Arcs and La Plagne to chose from, most of which are no more than 35 mins away. That week is really good value and transfers to/from Geneva are included.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
becsinbath, If you want to go to Austria then I can't help you! However you should at least consider LDA - the village may not be as high as some, but our skiing is very high and the vertical is big. Your week will be week 2 of the season, so given the sort of conditions we had last year you could expect to ski from 2,000m up to 3,200m. If like the year before the whole resort is likely to be open. Also, we are cheapish (particularly before Xmas!) Whitegold,'s suggestions are all expensive!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i have been to saalbach twice and soll in december both years in leogang were exceptionally good snow. as for the terrain soll very easy reds and blues schladming's reds were slightly more challenging than soll's but still there was not anything too challenging.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the replies! I've found a good deal to Saalbach through Crystal, or one to Obertauern through Thomson. Boyfriend is leaning towards Saalbach, but I prefer the sound of Obertauern, so got some negotiating to do! Can anyone give me any pros / cons to either resort? Or throw any more into the mix just for fun?! Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ive skied in obertauern for a daytrip last year skiing quite extensive gammelspitze black is one of the most exiciting runs ive skied. mountain restuarants are goood in obertauern although a con is that obertauern's verical is not very big at all. The snow in obertauern will be vastely better as it has one of the best snow records in the alps due to its altitude, a very snow sure resort.

Saalbach is more extensive than obertauern and the north facing quiet slopes of leogang are very nice also the north facing side of saalbach provides some more chalnging runs. another advantage to saalbach is that it is is cheap and the nightlife is very good but the snow in early december will not be brilliant.
If you are going in early december i would advise you to choose obertauern becuse of it's advantage on altitude and better snow.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
becsinbath, welcome to snowHead

My group just kept our eyes on the webcams and daily checks on the Crystal site last year for a January deal and bagged one three weeks prior for £170 all-in to La Plagne. Definitley wait 'til last minute if you can.

Think La Plagne had iffy snow in December last year but that's a good choice if you want loads of blues and reds. Plus there's glacier boarding/skiing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
becsinbath,

I have some friends who have an apartment in Saalbach.

Below is a picture they sent me last January showing 40cm of snow wink

In December there was very little snow Sad

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stewart woodward,

Hahaha - that's great! Well at least this is swinging more in my favour for Obertauern now!
ski holidays
flangesax, I'm just looking into transfers from Salzburg airport to Obertauern, but the cheapest I can find (through the taxi services linked on the airport website) is 99Euros each way... Where should I be looking for the 40Euros fare you mentioned??! Thank you!
latest report
becsinbath, on Obertauern's website http://www.obertauern.com/ 42.50 Euros return. We're there 12 Jan for a week snowHead
ski holidays
I'd say wait until the last minute before you go to check the snow conditions. If it snows Nov/December in Austria, the chances are that Obertauern and Saalbach will both be good. They are not that far apart, and although Obertauern is a little higher, if it isn't good in Saalbach, it probably won't be good in Obertauern.

Last season the snow was terrible in early December, but the year before Saalbach had an epic start to the season with great snow to village level in late November (I was there). Fingers crossed for this year!

In Saalbach you're not too far from the Kitzsteinhorn glacier which you can fall back on if the snow isn't too good. BUt you'd want to hire a car - public transport would take a lot longer.
snow report
cathy, thank you, that sounds brilliant!

nice & other people advising to book last minute - I don't know if I've got the nerve, and I hate having to walk a long way from the hotel to the pistes, and I'm guessing the places available last minute won't be in the best locations...or am I wrong?

At the moment I can book ryanair flights to salzburg for around £200 return for 2, and 7 nights at hotel inc. lift pass for £700 for 2 which sounds very reasonable to me, and much cheaper than through Thomson!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy