Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting into bindings, 2......................

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've noticed that when you go to click into bindings that sometimes a lot of ice can get stuck to the underside of the boots and this makes it difficult to get into the bindings. Usually I whack the boot with the basket of the ski pole or try to push the ice off with contact with part of the ski (which can't be good for the ski). Sometimes this works well, but other times the ice is quite well stuck on. Is there a product which can be used to spray the sole of the boot with to stop the ice adhering or another solution worth trying. I just wondered if it was worth asking as such an esteemed bunch of snow veterans seems to have found a solution to most problems.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A good bash with the pole has always been enough for me.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, scrape & gently stomp (in one motion) your boot across your front binding (that may be what your describing), alternatively kick one boot off the other (a la "there's no place like home, there's no place like home") Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
FenlandSkier,
Quote:

A good bash with the pole has always been enough for me.
Agreed, and I use the stem of the pole, not the basket - which is why my poles look a complete shambles now!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If it's particularly stubborn ice, lay your ski on its side & use the edge as a scraper - works a treat snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't think there is any product which will stop ice sticking. Pole bashing and scrapping on the top of my toe binding normally does the trick, but if the ice is particularly stubborn get a friend to beat the soles of your boots with their pole. It's much easier for them to see where the ice is sticking than is is for you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tip to the wise: don't use the basket or section of the pole near the basket to bash the snow off, as it can break. I've personally witessed this twice. If you're a way from the base station you've then got a long way to ski with only one pole. On one occasion this happened on a ski tour, and fortunately the guy in question only had to ski like that for a day and a half before we hit civilisation! I scrape my boot on the binding (and do it gently, not with a hefty kick), but if you are going to do this, then always slide your hand down the shaft (ooh er missus), turn the pole upside down and use the handle end, which is much stronger. Even if you're not hitting the backcountry yet, get into the habit now so you don't have to remember when you do.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum wrote:
or another solution worth trying. .

Cat Tracks.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GrahamN, That's worth noting!

comprex, Those are the things that fit over the skis aren't they?

I'm surprised no enterprising manufacturer has come up with a spray or coating that would prevent the ice adherence whilst not affecting the hold of the ski in the bindings.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, Zardoz Notwax makes a Teflon puck you use on the base of the skis to make them go very fast Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad You can use the same on the sole and sides of your boots BUT NOT! on the flat parts of the sole that rest on or in the binding plates and contact faces themselves. That should get rid of the loose stuff but your binding surfaces are not designed for use with any substance other than boot plastic . . . It might be ok, but in the absence of any info just don't do it. That should help all but the worst type of clingon wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, For all other types call in the Enterprise eh?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I wish people would stop trying to use poles to get snow off their boots. It's got to be one of the most ineffective methods known to man. As for people with composite poles......

A good scrape against the toe binding, or at right angles to the riser plate in between the toe and heel binding always works.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum wrote:
comprex, Those are the things that fit over the skis aren't they?

No, they are the things that fit over your boots.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
veeeight, It works for me (I turn the poles upside down as suggested byGrahamN). I have no idea what my poles are made of, they are donkey's years old, and very battered - obviously - but they do the job. Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rjs, That is actually what I meant to type - honest!! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy