Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What avalanche protection do you carry when off-piste?

When skiing/boarding off-piste do you:
Wear an avalanche transceiver, carry a shovel and probe
61%
 61%  [ 13 ]
Wear an avalanche transceiver but nothing else
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
No specific avalanche protection
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
Voted : 21
Total Votes : 21

Poster: A snowHead
The helmets poll caused a fair bit of discussion, so lets see what this one does...

I don't own a transceiver, a shovel or snow probe so have never carried any of this gear when I venture off-piste. Having been to Henry's Avalanche Talk (www.henrysavalanchetalk.com) at the ski show today I've started to think that perhaps I should carry this gear as I'm hoping to improve my off-piste technique and spend a little more time in the deep stuff. What do other people do?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends what sort of off piste. Casual off piste no, but anything organised with instructor or mountain guide I get given a transceiver.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got the shovel and probe, which I started using last season. So far, I've been using either the transceivers from the stock held by the SCGB reps at resort, or supplied as part of the club holidays.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Got the shovel last year but didn't get around to getting the transceiver or the probe as the conditions changed before i bought them and it seemed unnecessary (as was the case - no usable off-piste at all)

I have used a transceiver before but that was without a shovel or a probe (none of our group had them and I now see the folly of that)

DTS have improved the Tracker this year and so I might splash out and complete the set. Then again, i am probably going away with people that won't have the kit either and so is it really worth it if we won't be venturing into places where they may be needed?

I know that off-piste misadventures can happen anywhere, even within yards of the piste, but i fully expect that my mates will want to dip into those between piste powder stashes without any of the gear. Do i insist that they all cough up and get the kit (and that we practice using it)? or do i refuse to go with them? or do i just do what I've done in previous years and be 'sensible' about between piste riding and not go onto or under slopes that look dodgy?

if we do any 'proper' off-piste, I wouldn't dream of doing it without the "holy trinity" and insisting that everyone else has it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It was the comments on the 'in-between' off-piste that got me thinking that at the very least I should wear a transceiver. I will play around in deep snow by the side of the piste before it gets tracked out, and hadn't really given much thought to the possibility of getting caught. But as we know, given the right circumstances avalanches can occur not far from the piste and with the very short amount of time you're likely to have under the snow (much beyond 15 minutes and your survival chances plummet) perhaps improving your chances of being found more quickly is a sensible precaution for not a huge financial outlay?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I always wear my tranceiver whenever I'm skiing or boarding. Even on days when you have no plans to go off-piste you never know when you will spot a tempting slope. Again, out of habit I almost always wear my backpack with shovel, probe, first aid kit, and back protector (not to mention the hip flask with armagnac). If you only wear a transceiver you may be able to locate a buried victim but you would never dig them out in time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On the slopes I always carry a rucksack with Transceiver, probe, shovel, spare clothing and water bottle. Often Mars-(or other)bar, hip flask (usually Lagavulin), 1: 25,000 map & compass and mobile phone. Sometimes first aid kit. Occasionally skins and binding converters.

I own an old analogue transceiver and a much easier digital one. I sometimes lend the old one but really I should lend the new one (then (s)he could find me easier if I'm buried).

Actually, though, my ski companions mostly own at least shovel and transceiver, being mostly-off-piste skiers like me (I seldom go down a piste except to get to off-piste, or on the first morning of a holiday, or sometimes if the off-piste is rock-hard rutted sh*t I might take a less teeth-loosening descent.

Making the first tracks down a mountainside is magical, but you've got to take it seriously.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 15-10-04 16:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This quote was taken from the website I mentioned above:

Quote:
Since Henry has been living in the French Alps (about 12 years), most of the accidents and resulting deaths that he has witnessed have occurred right next to the piste, due to ignorance. They could therefore have been avoided. If you are a good skier or snowboarder who mostly skis on the piste and you play around next to the piste, then you are a prime candidate for an accident. The same goes for climbers: statistics show that the typical victim of an avalanche is a male in his mid-late 20's, has a good level of knowledge about skiing, boarding or climbing, but very little knowledge about avalanches.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not much point in having a transceiver if your companions don't. By the time they get help you are likely to have died. Your best chance is to be found in the first 15 minutes by the people with you.
Don't ski all in a bunch. Leave some space so if there is an avalanche there are people outside it to rescue you.
If you ski with a guide get him to explain what slopes he is avoiding and why.
Don't go off-piste without a guide untill you have got a fair amount of experience and knowledge (or its a very gentle slope}. Even then assume you don't know enough (it will be true) and play safe.
The bigest killer is wind-slab. Try to learn where it is likely to be (lee slopes - so you need to know where the winds have come from and where mountains might have funnelled it.) It may be under a newer layer.
Also be especially cautious on hot afternoons.
Remember dangerous slopes may be above you as well.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 15-10-04 17:09; edited 6 times in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Only been off piste a couple of times, it some thing I want to do more off though. I have prevoiusly had recco locaters on my boots, but now I have a new pair. I dont know if the recco locaters are any good dont seem to see them advertised as much now. I have been off piste with a guide I think it was Evolution 2 in Tignes Puzzled They isssued us with transceivers and we spent a couple of hours working with transceivers and probes practicing search techniques before venturing off for 2 days off piste and off my skis most of the time but good fun.

I think now I would certainly use probes, transceivers and a shovel next time I venture off. Never considered wearing one all the time interesting thought I shall see how this thread develops.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 15-10-04 16:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar.org.uk, I have never known a single climber to wear a transceiver.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Recco locators usually arrive on rescue helicopters. By then you are likely to be dead, but its good for finding corpses, I'm told.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ill just put them an the beer then at least the rescuers can have a cold drink then
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skullie Russell Skullie Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I can't believe this is a poll, how anyone can think of going off-piste without having the basic survival gear is beyond me. I suppose I should also add, knowing how to use them, maybe we can make that the subject of another poll. Calling out the pisteurs/mountain rescue is not a joke, those guys put their life on the line. The least we can do is ensure that we have some knowledge/understanding of what we are doing. Sorry to get heavy here but every death or injury impacts on all of us.
snow conditions
David@traxvax, I think you will find lots of people go off-piste without any proper protective equipment. It is the same in the Scottish Highlands. A mixture of "it couldn't happen to me" and "how could those lovely looking snowy hills hurt me?".
snow report
This is really important stuff - but like many of you I have never used any kit, except when loaned by a guide. I have never had a practice session with a tranceiver even when given one by a guide (Val d'Isere - Snowfun) so I'm going shopping here later this autumn.
snow report
martin, they're good guys, they'll probably be at the Ski Show, they usually have a stand there. I can recommend the complete Ortovox pack, you save money and the backpack is of very good quality.
snow conditions
Hmm - I bought an Ortovox backpack about 10 - 12 years ago (mail order from S&R, silly me) and it was IMO very poor quality, particularly in the way the main straps were attached to the back of the pack. It was also quite heavy for its size. Still, maybe they've improved since then (I now use Deuter).
snow report
David@traxvax, yes they were at the ski show. I bought a helmet from them and had a chat about transceivers, shovels and the snopw safety training courses they do in Snowdonia each year. Seemed a very knowledgeable chap.

Regards

Rob
latest report
Been using other people's equipment until now but planing to buy my own in the next couple of weeks. Looking for advice in this thread

http://snowheads.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=56824#56824
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy