Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Walking boots - anything special I should treat new ones with?

Poster: A snowHead
So, I've got brand new walking boots - its been about 12 years since I last had a new pair and then had no-one to ask so just wore them.

These are all leather uppers with an eVent lining (some fancy breathable stuff I think) - Karrimor KSB 300 Skye boots. Will they have been factory proofed for waterproofness and be all ready to go out in the mud and rain or should I treat them myself with some dubbin or similar before using them in anger? Also, given that they are leather which can be a sod to get dry would my new ski boot drier be a good thing to use on them if they get wet or would that dry them too quickly and make them stiff.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've also got leather walking boots, but checking the spec of mine (Brasher - to whom I am devotedly brand-loyal) against yours, I notice that, as well as having a waterproof lining, the leather of mine is described as being water-resistant, whereas the spec for yours only mentions the lining as being waterproof. I'd be inclined to ask Karrimor what's best to do. I didn't treat mine at all when they were new, but I clean them now with Brasher Conditioning Polish, "re-proofs and conditions leather" it says on the tin and that it is "designed for use on leather footwear with breathable membrane linings." My boots have had a good deal of use by now and they remain totally waterproof - they've been sorely tested in the last couple of months and I always use gallons of very hot water to clean the mud off. So I guess that polish is good stuff.

My boots dry extremely quickly and I've never needed to apply direct heat (which I can't help thinking is not a good idea anyway). But again, perhaps that's because the leather is "water-resistant."

Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've tended to use the Nikwax wax on my leather boots - it doesn't soften them and takes a little finger pressure to melt into the surface. My old Scarpa hiking boots are now in approx their 17th year and still going strong.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, my old scarpa leather boots are also doing well in their 13th year, having been 'dubbined' regularly. I have recently bought a new pair (this time gortex type material) only as they have been pinched by my eldest.
One thing I would not recommend doing is using your boot driers as the leather won't like this! Last season I bought some dry zone packs which are only about £20, don't require power and can be regenerated if necessary in the microwave. They have been FAB for everything from ski boots to rugby boots. Will look up web address and get back to you.......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, ok it's www.dampire.com Good luck Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My leather walking boots I keep waxed - although I don't often use them, they're for serious walking/trekking! (Which I don't do as much as I'd like to these days Sad ). I should think they're from before the time of fancy breathable liners etc, so I don't know if waxing the outers affects the breathability of the inners.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, One word... Nikwax snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, They will be Factory treated. No, don't dry them without conditioning the leather first (Nikwax Conditioner for leather).
Even though you have bought a leather boot with 'Event' you will need to treat the leather regularly( I'd recommend a trip to the Zoo or a fancy resturant) to keep it supple and advoid it cracking. Please use Nikwax in all cases, whatever you need, they have a product. Ensure when appling Nikwax, the leather is wet/moist.

A fun thing to do with Nikwax, is to wash your guests towels in a product called TX Direct, it waterproofs stuff, then tumble dry those towels and sit back and watch the fun.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, and everyone else. It would never have occured to me to treat the leather whilst it was still damp/moist - always before I'd have dried it out on the basis that to treat it wet would be locking the water into the leather and I'd have assumed that wasn't desirable. I'm now wiser and will make sure that I treat it whilst damp. DH has a tin of 'Nikwax waterproofing wax for leather' that he's used on his motorcycle clothing before now I might make sure it finds its way into my boot store.

Oh, yes and I will make sure that I take them to the zoo!! snowHead Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum,
Quote:

It would never have occured to me to treat the leather whilst it was still damp/moist

Nor me Shocked
Quote:

'Nikwax waterproofing wax for leather'

I think I'd be careful to check that it is suitable for not messing up the breathability etc of the fancy modern linings. My jollop is very specific about that. This looks like the Nikwax product you want.

I think there's something wrong with me - I get even more excited about walking boots than I do about skiboots. Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, I hope your boots are well worn in for Nepal Toofy Grin Have you been getting much training in?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle, Have followed the link - yes, it does specifically mention the eVent lining doesn't it? It might be a better product to go for. I also note that again it suggests applying to wet/damp leather - I'm glad I'm not alone in being surprised at that notion.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just to highjack this thread on something boot related ......

Planning to go walking for a few days across some mountain peaks (including some glacier work). Last time I went with stiff boots (La Sportiva Nepal Top) and crampons (Grivel G12) which were hell on the way in (walking like Robo-cop) but useful once on the rocks and glaciers. I will be carrying a pack in the region of 20-25 kg.

So do I .....

1) Take two pairs of boots using my current non-crampon summer (soft) walking boots on the approach and the stiffer boots once higher up.

or

2) Buy a new pair of not so stiff winter walking boots and semi-stiff crampons?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB Buy a pair of Scarpa Triolet/La Sportive Trango 's' Evo. the later wears badly(duration.).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB, Be sure that anything lighter (especially crampons !) are up to the job. I've had one fall apart on me (coming down Pollux).... not funny. So for me it's strength first snowHead
ski holidays
DB, The G12 will go straight on your Triolet! Toofy Grin
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
DB Buy a pair of Scarpa Triolet/La Sportive Trango 's' Evo. the later wears badly(duration.).

I have a La Sportiva foot and not a scarpa. Will Grivel G12 New-Matic crampons fit the trangos?
There appear to be various models of the trango do you mean the extreme version?

http://www.lasportiva.com/catalogue/catalogo.php?cat=11&cod3=274&Language=EN

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 23-08-07 15:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
DB, I refer the Honerable gentleman to my previous reply. Toofy Grin
snow report
I refer the Honerable gentleman to my previous reply which I have now edited.
snow report
Scarpa,

Mine are the same..but I doubt they have had the wear of yours....

Absolutley bombproof...

Strangely enough I have replaced them..??? and I should sell them...

I will have clear out soon, jackets, trews packs etc etc
ski holidays
Hurtle, I also like the Bresher boot but find that the soles become smooth rather quickly and acquire the properties of Teflon.
snow report
DB, Firstly Scarpa have more lasts shapes than any other walking boot maker on the market, not to have a Scarpa foot is like saying i don't fit into a car. I tried a Ford once. You follow? The La Sportiva i refered you to, is the Trango 'S' Evo GTX, 1 click down from the Trango Extreme Evo light Gtx. The Extreme, you speak of, is the same shape has a full length PU Midsole and is insulated by Gore Tex Duratherm. The Trango 'S' has a slightly softer Midsole(still compatable with your G12's) and is not insulated but lined with Gore Tex sierra. The Trango Extreme is a fantastic shoe(not the same last as any of the Nepals) and is perfect for mixed vertical ascents at altitude. The Trango 'S' is what i call an 'Off-Piste' walking boot, for the more adventurous, whom may on the odd occasion cross the glacier or some Nevé.
snow report
cathy,
Quote:

I hope your boots are well worn in for Nepal

Oh yes, I've had my Brasher boots for a few years now, they are super-comfortable. They don't actually need breaking in, though I had a slightly embarrassing experience when I bought the present pair. I decided to wear them around the house for a bit, just in case they had some blister points; good idea you might say, save that I have the habit of doing my housework in my nightie - not so good when the postman rings the doorbell and I am attired in said nightie and walking boots. Shocked
Quote:

Have you been getting much training in?

I've not done much training, just usual gym stuff (including a thing that looks like a cross-trainer, but is at a steepish incline) plus a recent week in the Lakes (including shinning up Haystacks) a day or two in the Peak District, and I've a couple of days walking in Northumberland planned for next weekend. My trek isn't gnarly, never higher than 4,000 m. The following words in the brochure attracted me to this holiday in the first place: "first time trek, no special levels of fitness required." Toofy Grin

Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

I also like the Bresher boot but find that the soles become smooth rather quickly and acquire the properties of Teflon

You can in fact have them re-soled, but my first pair lasted for yonks. How can I put this tactfully...do you think they could be carrying a tad more weight in your case? (I am a midget, albeit a well-padded one wink )
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
what i call an 'Off-Piste' walking boot, for the more adventurous, whom may on the odd occasion cross the glacier or some Nevé.

Visions of a Scarpa Alp here; what are your minimums for this category?
snow report
comprex, Ahh, put clipping those G12 on and off in the bat of an eyelid?
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, fair enough, everything else is comfort and grams...
latest report
Thanks for the info SMALLZOOKEEPER.

Still undecided if I will fork out the extra cash or take the extra ca 1.5 - 2kg weight. I'll have a look in the shops later to day to see what they have in stock.

Here are a few pics of where we are headed
http://sbcb.bioch.ox.ac.uk/oliver/Priv/Tauern_Dolomiten/Panoramas/

http://www.caingram.info/Europe/Venediger-htm/gross_venediger_map.htm

It's also a ski tour in the winter
http://members.aon.at/hermann.zauner/venediger.htm

While searching around on the internet I found this article about waterproof boot liners, which may be of interest to the walkers here.
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/4793/v/2/sp/
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
I decided to wear them around the house for a bit, just in case they had some blister points; good idea you might say, save that I have the habit of doing my housework in my nightie - not so good when the postman rings the doorbell and I am attired in said nightie and walking boots. Shocked

Laughing Laughing

You sound as if you're pretty active and fit so I'm sure you'll be fine. But don't underestimate how tiring it is, especially as most of the trekking seems to be going up and going down - why can't they have more flat bits? wink When I went I was just about OK although a bit achey in the mornings but my friend was in literal agony every morning (I don't think she was very fit rolling eyes ). Although we went independently so we had our own punishing schedule to keep to wink as well as carrying our packs on our backs. Lots of stair walking would be good training! Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy