Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski luggage

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I do a lot of air travel. Just recently bought a pair of skis - now wondering what type of ski luggage to buy to make sure that there is no damage to the skis. Any tips?

S
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads stylus762004, snowHead

I have a double wheely ski-bag from Ellis Brigham which has proved solid enough.
They also kindly let us have one and some singles like this for the raffles at the EoSB and MSB last season.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
admin wrote:
Welcome to snowHeads stylus762004, snowHead

I have a double wheely ski-bag from Ellis Brigham which has proved solid enough.
They also kindly let us have one and some singles like this for the raffles at the EoSB and MSB last season.

Thanks for the advice and the link. I have been thinking between something similar to the bag you mentioned and the one below:

By any chance do you know how this compares to the sporttube? The thing is that I travel a lot by air. This one
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
stylus762004, Welcome to snowHead
I thought about purchasing a sport tube when I bought my skis at the beginning of last season. In the end, the weight put me off. I've not had any trouble or damage to the skis in the soft bag (with a bit of added bubble wrap) Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stylus762004, Like Michelle, I use a standard ski bag and bubble wrap for my skis. Think about weight if you go for a sport tube.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all, you have been very helpful - I will go ahead and put in my order for the soft bag.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Just out of interest, has anybody ever had a set of skis damaged at an airport ? I know they like to throw them around but they are (or should be) pretty sturdy things. Considering the rocks, fences etc. mine have to deal with, I've always thought baggage handlers would be the least of their worries. Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've got this: http://www.beverlybay.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=16204&cat=3&page=1
And it's great.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ami in berlin wrote:
I've got this: http://www.beverlybay.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=16204&cat=3&page=1
And it's great.

Thanks for the link. This bag looks great - Almost placed my order and then realized that I just need a single pair ski bag...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian wrote:

Just out of interest, has anybody ever had a set of skis damaged at an airport ? I know they like to throw them around but they are (or should be) pretty sturdy things. Considering the rocks, fences etc. mine have to deal with, I've always thought baggage handlers would be the least of their worries.

Well, since you ask yes. Had a pair written off by baggage handling. Should have unpacked them and checked them at the airport, of course. No chance of claiming against the airline or airport once they were home. The tyre tracks on the bag should have really given me a clue to the fact that some bright spark had driven a truck over the tips.
Subsequently told some porkies and claimed off home insurance policy for the absolute write off.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
been skiing for 30 years, and had no problems with damage on flights (plenty of damage due to skiing though Laughing ) - current setup is Fritschi Freerides, so I do use the hard foam-plastic packaging which comes with TVs etc. to protect the bindings....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lockwoods (http://www.lockwoods.uk.com/) do a great one pair padded bag which is padded all over, not just round the binding area. I find mine's big enough to pack clothing etc. round the skis for extra protection and to reduce the size of other luggage. Top quality bag for £35 too. Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have a Sportube (got it from Beans in Bicester: www.beansonline.co.uk with free UK P&P) and have to say that it doesn't weigh all that much in itself. It's also multipurpose in that I used it to carry my golf clubs on a recent trip. It has wheels and a shoulder strap and wasn't too difficult or heavy to lug around. I always prefer hard cases over soft cases in terms of protection too - always suffered from wash-bag spillages when I used a rucksack when travelling but since I've grown-up and graduated to a hard case those spillages are a thing of the past. So you don't need to worry about bubblewrap or stuffing clothes/towels in with your skis with a Sportube.

I still have to use it with skis, though but hopefully if everything works out I'll be having an extended stay/tour in N. America which should provide it with a proper workout.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy