Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski wear question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am just about to go and get a new set of Ski gear in the sales. We have been looking about and they have those numbers on them ( 10000/10000 etc) which I understand to mean how warm they are and how waterproof they are, but am not entirely sure how those numbers relate to what I want. we normally go to Austria, but this year we are off to Canada which I expect to be much colder, so will a 10000/10000 jacket be warm enough or will I freeze /Cook. The numbers to me are meaningless, what do you lot do?

(apols for ramble!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Which resort in Canada are you going to lenniem? There can be a lot of difference in temperature range and likely wetness in the resorts across the country.
snow report
 brian
brian
lenniem, the numbers measure waterproofness and breathability.

Waterproofness is measured in mm and is the equivalent height of a column of water (not sure what the area has to be) that can be placed on top of the fabric before the pressure is enough to force it through.

I think you want to look for >20000 for it to actually be practically waterproof, xcr is >40000 I think.

Breathability is measured in the amount of vapour that can get through 1m2 in 24 hours, so 10000 g/m2/24 and so on.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lenniem, Just make sure the jacket has extra room for jumper/fleece. If it's cold just stick on an extra microfleece - if you use layering method you will be OK.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lenniem,

Canada may be much colder... it may not, there is no easy answer.

You should know what works in Europe on a cold day and then take Canada on a day by day basis.

I have a very light set-up with only 3 layers which surprisingly, works for me in pretty cold winds.

Generally...and without knowing how you run in the cold, you can use technical clothing, ie decent XCR stuff, with 3-4 layers for most alpine conditions
below 4000m....not many go much higher anyway. Those 3-4 layers will be a good micro-flleec base, a 200 fleece inner and a hardshell XCR.
For really really cold days, you can add a merino base.
Of course, there are variations...the only person who can say though is you and how you cope wioth the cold

I would work on the basis that you might want one base layer more than you might need in Austria...if the temps go to -20 and below...

Good hat and gloves are just as essential in europe than anywhere so some things are a given..

Just my 2p FWIW
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A personal opinion is that in truly cold weather waterproof qualities are unimportant as such, the water is frozen and brushes off. Being windproof is vital and after that it is often a matter of what layers you need.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
T Bar wrote:
A personal opinion is that in truly cold weather waterproof qualities are unimportant as such, the water is frozen and brushes off. Being windproof is vital and after that it is often a matter of what layers you need.

Yes... When in Sierra Nevada Spain last season it was -20C and I was toasty where as one day at Nevis Range it was +2C and poring with rain at the top gondola station and wet snow at the top of the mountain and I was colder wearing the same kit.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lenniem, the numbers are a lottery. Doesn't matter how the outer fabric performs if it isn't married to the right wadding, lining etc. Some manufacturers of breathable membranes (like Goretex) have high quality standards imposed on their approved manufactuers. Basically, swing tags lie! Get the undies right (and personally I'd suggest merino wool but others may differ) and the mid layer right, then your choice of outer in the sub-zero world is less vital as long as it is windproof, can breathe well (Ventile is the tops but you'll never find any anywhere cos it's too costly).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh and it doesn't matter how waterproof the material is if you have leaky seams. My gore-tex XCR still leaks through the pocket seams... rolling eyes Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy