Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow conditions on Austrian Glaciers at the moment?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
On my way out tomorrow, and intend to get a couple of half days in between keeping the family happy..... they are open aren't they?

Staying a short drive from Kaprun.

Any info welcome!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi there,

I've been on the Kitzsteinhorn in summer a number of times, at this time of the year the ambient temperatures can be pretty high even on the glacier. Get the earliest lift you can and hustle up to the top. If you've been lucky and there have been low temperatures overnight, you may get some nice crisp skiing for the first hour or so, after this it gets progressively softer and wetter. I've rarely stayed beyond 12 noon. The skiing area is limited both is size and vertical drop. All lifts on the glacier are t-bars or pomas. It can be quite breezy at times and feel very cold despite the sun, so layer up. Wear plenty of sunscreen at all times.

It's great way to keep up the buzz during the long summer break! It can be great fun, not terribly busy and a chance to get some practice in snowHead

Enjoy.

AW

PS you can hire skis, boots, etc at the Alpincenter, however, this slows your early rush to the top by about 15/20 mins.

PPS if you have a local walking pass for the lifts, you get a discount on your ski pass and equipment hire. Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
afcbtim, yes, they are open, but ...not ideal for skiing at the moment.
Last week it was raining for three days and washed away a large amount of snow.
Now it is rocks, mud, gaps everywhere.
If you have a better thing to to then forget about skiing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
you can see the webcams at www.kitzsteinhorn.at/en/. Looking pretty grey up there! However, this same week last year we had a lot of fresh snow and I had a fantastic couple of days. Keep your eye on the weather and the cameras!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yipe! just checked out the webcams, it's pretty rough looking at the moment! Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
yes, they are looking worse than ever. Tux and Kaprun are still open, Moltall has just closed, but it looked much better than the other two Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just looked at Kitzsteinhorn website - there's no snow left at the top and so the ski area is closed Sad

Exactly this time last year I had a great day up there, with so much fresh snow they had actually opened more lifts. Anyone headed to Kaprun - take your hiking boots!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow, it looks worse than August 2003 after the hot summer Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kerekip wrote:
if you have a better thing to to then forget about skiing.

There are better things to do than ski? Shocked wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
TallTone wrote:
kerekip wrote:
if you have a better thing to to then forget about skiing.

There are better things to do than ski? Shocked wink

Nothing, of course Smile

But, let me summarise the current situation on the Austrian glaciers.
Terrible. Only one of the eight resorts is operating.

Solden - closed in May
Pitzal - no summer skiing for 10 years
Molltal - closed this week, although there is snow on the top, but the artificial snow melted around the ski lifts
Dachstein - closed this week
Kitzsteinhorn (Kaprun) - closed until the next large snowfall
Hintertux - the only one operating resort at the moment, but many people claim that it should be closed by now.
The melted snow flows like a small river on the piste, and it is not fun to avoid the deep cracks on the glaciers.
It looks that they are struggling to keep their 'open-for-365-day' title
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy