Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are there any telemarkers in the house...

Poster: A snowHead
Well, it's the long(ish) road to ISIA - which will probably take me three or so years as I can't (yet wink) afford another season...

The standard for second discipline has been upped somewhat from "get down a red run using recognised technique" to pass a Level 1 instructor course in your chosen discipline.

Somehow, telemark, appeals more than boarding. I've tried the latter and could probably make the grade more easily. But telemark somehow appeals.

Anyway. The question in hand...

I obviously don't want to buy new gear. But it would be silly to rent given that I've got six pairs of skis rolling eyes (Don't ask, I'm not sure...)

I have two pairs of old skis I could canabalise - some Scott Aztec Pros that I've used for the last three seasons and are now "rock skis", but would probably scrub up well enough. Or a pair of K2 Axis skis (which I bought, but never really (in truth) got on with that well) - around 62 cm at the waist (the skis, not me!). Radius of both are similar.

Which would I be best canabalising.

And does anyone have a cheap source of telemark bindings / boots?

zzz and David Murdoch - you have to promise not to laugh at me. It's not going to be pretty Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Join the tele learners at MK, next session 1 Sept IIRC.

The Aztec Pro makes a nice tele ski IMO. Richard who teaches at MK has one in his fleet Bindings try Tele pyrennees, pm SZK & make him an offer for some of his stock. G3 Targas or Rottefella R8s are probably the industry std in a neutral binding. Scarpa teleboots if they fit you also on sale at MK at the moment
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks fatbob.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PhillipStanton, Five of us so far meeting at MK on 1 September at 12.30 to be taught by Richard from Tele masters. We all went for our first try a couple of months ago and had a ball.
Let me know and I will add you to Richard's list ( we need to know your're approximate boot size).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PhillipStanton, Don't know about the skis - the folks at Telemark-Pyrenees will give good advice on skis and bindings - they also have some Scarpas in their sale. You could also try Braemar Nordic Centre. snowHead

And NickW - I won't be coming to 1 Sep. The following 3 weekends I'll be on my skis - so I won't be able to get a pass Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nick W - may well be up for it - will let you know in the next day or so. Thanks for the invite - it's much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PhillipStanton, why would you want to be on the phone all day? Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PhillipStanton, I'll have some stuff knocking about but i think you know what i'm going to say regarding boots.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PhillipStanton, mate I will not laugh. At least, not as much as when Lady Murdoch went tele-ing with her sis, were having a fine time until a local instructor kindly informed them that they were bending the wrong knee...

We tried it a couple of New Years ago when the snow was pants. Very good fun, easier than it looks to begin with, at least as hard as it looks to do well and oddly untiring until you suddenly find yourself unable to stand up (well, my experience anyway).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch,

Quote:

suddenly find yourself unable to stand up

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Murdoch wrote:
PhillipStanton, mate I will not laugh. At least, not as much as when Lady Murdoch went tele-ing with her sis, were having a fine time until a local instructor kindly informed them that they were bending the wrong knee...

I feel it's my duty to give Lady Murdoch something to laugh at then wink
David Murdoch wrote:
...at least as hard as it looks to do well...

I saw a telemarker take a roll in Megeve a couple of years ago. He popped off the roll, transitioned gracefully in the air whilst simultaneously taking a drag of his fag. Landed and short-turned out...
...looked difficult to me!
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
PhillipStanton, I'll have some stuff knocking about but i think you know what i'm going to say regarding boots.

I do, indeed, my friend. And you are, of course, right. I'm sure we'll find a compromise...

Nick W - you have a pm.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PhillipStanton, Yeah a new pair of Garmont G1's.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
PhillipStanton, Yeah a new pair of Garmont G1's.

We seem to have different views on the term "compromise" here Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PhillipStanton, I am in the same boat on second discipline and have decided on tele.

Ski tipped me the Telemark-Pyrenees shop and they were brilliant in answering questions regarding sizing and fit and were best value.

come along to MK you will be hooked!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret - MrsPhillipStanton and I are both coming and are looking forward to it. If nothing else it will be great to meet.
ski holidays
PhillipStanton, excellent, more the merrier
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy