Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tree wells - any visible signs to look for

Poster: A snowHead
Hi There, am off to USA in Jan next year.

I plan on taking a couple of private lessons to learn basics of powder skiing and back country as I really like the look of tree skiing. Reading other posts and seeing clips on You Tube I found out about tree wells and the potential to fall into them! The thought of being stuck is naturally not one I wish to live out so I just wondered if there was a quick quick way of spotting tree wells or is there was a recommended distance to leave between yourself and tree trunk.

Cheers Will
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A pair of upside down skis next to a tree Toofy Grin (sorry couldnt help it Embarassed )
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tree wells are usually handily marked with tree trunks sticking out of the middle of them. The recommended distance to avoid the tree trunks by is as much as possible.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or a tree next to a deep hole with bucket on bit of rope! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go fast, it's only when you're crawling along or stopped that trouble happens....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How to avoid tree wells?

Ski with someone in front of you through the forests. snowHead
Actually it's best to do this in the forests anyway, just in case you accidentally break your legs or something. wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If it is that tight, you'll do well to avoid the trees so don't worry about the rest..if it isn't then, well .......then no problem anyway.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HMMMM!

Avoid short stupid scotsmen who get too close to trees.

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Murdoch, oops!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch, I've seen some crazy arrangements of limbs, skis and branches in the last couple of years. Fortunately, with people coming up laughing like you! snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I just wondered if there was a quick quick way of spotting tree wells or is there was a recommended distance to leave between yourself and tree trunk.

Like destimating avalanch danger, it's an inexact science, depending on the snow condition, temperature, the particular arrangement of branches... The list goes on! Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
willd, 6 point checklist for you, avoid:

- trees with branches touching the top of the snow

- paired boles or large trees with smaller saplings next to them (the smaller one may only be visible as one branch or a tuft of needles)

- tight lines in new or unconsolidated snow (by this I mean tighter than 2 hip widths between trees)

- skiing solo

- skiing a new line if you're last of the group (chances are they won't be able to posthole back up)

- braking or stopping to scout the rest of the line as you're skiing it (momentum is your friend, speed is your ally)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Murdoch wrote:
HMMMM!

Avoid short stupid scotsmen who get too close to trees.

David Murdoch, using pole straps when tree skiing, tut tut wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How about follow the last set of unbroken ski tracks if there are any?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, video for ya*

That is on pretty well consolidated snow, mind.

*courtesy SkiVT-L
ski holidays
comprex, Ah....panny drops - very unlikely that anyone's going to go the same way twice. Ta.

Anyone wanting to ski through that sort of territory wants their head examining!!
snow report
Megamum, as these things go, that's moderate terrain and easily comparable to inbounds skiing at quite a few resorts, including some named runs.
snow report
spyderjon, they're Goodes with detachable straps that detach if they get stuck and you don't wink
ski holidays
http://www.challengesports.net/rightskool/steamboat/2006/january30.html
snow conditions
Snowy, I agree following someone is a good idea and also have a camera with you should anything occur. Mrs Chris found a tree well last season!
ski holidays
comprex, tree skiing in fresh powder. It doesn't get better than that! IMO.
snow report
comprex wrote:
Megamum, as these things go, that's moderate terrain and easily comparable to inbounds skiing at quite a few resorts, including some named runs.

Agree with that although assuming the footage wasn't speeded up the guy (or girl) was tanking it.

Actually when repeatedly skiing the same tree section its surprisingly easy to come out upon your earlier line IME as obviously I have a predisposition to gravitate towards the same gaps.
snow report
fatbob,

you need to ski with Francois... I think he knows trees pretty well.......... wink Laughing
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:

Agree with that although assuming the footage wasn't speeded up the guy (or girl) was tanking it.

True, from the pole plants I'm prepared to believe it wasn't speeded up. Fast doggie.

Quote:

Actually when repeatedly skiing the same tree section its surprisingly easy to come out upon your earlier line IME as obviously I have a predisposition to gravitate towards the same gaps.

Also true, it's when I deliberately avoid that predisposition that I get in trouble. Mostly the point to Megamum was that no particular set of ski tracks can be assumed to be "uninterrupted", since they can't be seen in entirety.
snow conditions
willd, One other thing about Tree Wells - I believe occasionally bears hibernate in them. Dropping in unannounced on a sleeping bear could ruin its day - not to mention yours! Shocked
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy