Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Le Grand Bornand

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all

I have searched for info on the above but after wading through several pages promising mention of the place, couldn't find anything - I may be doing it wrong of course Embarassed

Do any of you have any knowledge or experience of the resort please? We are considering it for a family holiday in late January, two 3rd year skier children having lessons for at least part of the week, 4 experienced skier adults liking variety of pistes but don't necessarily need a huge ski area. Nightlife not very important as long as there are a couple of restaurants as self catering, and supermarket etc

Thanks in advance Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never been, but try these links, inclduing a resort report by Annie! (not anniepen, d'oh!)

Resort Report:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=571710

List of resort reports for future reference
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5047

Other LBG Links
http://skisnowboardeurope.com/legrandbornand/
http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/France/Le_Grand_Bornand.html

{edited as I got the resort reporters name mixed u pwith the OP's name!}

{edited again as it's not the resort I was thinking of that I could see across the valley from Le Corbier in March this year. that was in the Maurienne, so would have plenty of other resorts within a reasonable drive if you fancied a day out }
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not to worry! I would have really stupid had it been me though Laughing

Thanks for this nbt, - looks a good option on the basis of Annie's report snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anniepen,

I had a few there days in january this year. I think the village is lovely, not quaint but just a bit more real than some ski towns. It would be fine for your kids as you describe them. I think the adults may find it fits the bill if they're really not bothered about a huge variety of pistes. You can ski pretty much all the domaine in a day. There is always La Clusaz down the road if you fancy a change for a day though.

It's also a bit low if we're having a crappy winter. Fits your bill on nightlife, 2-3 restaurants and supermarkets.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anniepen, I've heard nothing but good things about it. Never been there though. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've never been there either, but a chap I met on a ski course in Tignes 5 years ago said there were some quite fun challenging red runs there....I keep meaning to go, as it's sort of on the way from our place to Geneva.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all - very helpful. We have just come back from a summer trip to Les Gets and saw lots of signs for it. Certainly a gorgeous area - could only be more so if covered in snow!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The kids will love it and if you're happy on a smallish but I thought very varied area ( not that small if you include La Clusaz - and the lift pass is very reasonable) then I think you'll love it.....In case you didn't get it from the trip report I loved it! Would have gone back this year at half term but suitable accommodation was already booked.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anniepen, been to La Clusaz 4 times and Le Grand Bornand once. We spent a week there last February. For convenience Le Chinaillon is the best spot to stay in as there are more runs to the accomodation than in LGB itself. The best area to ski was the Maroly sector - better snow, quieter and a good snow park. As Annie, says, the area is quite varied so good for children and adults but we didn't manage to ski back down to LGB at all during our week due to warm weather and rain!! The worst part though was ESF - don't use it!!!! I don't usually object to ESF but this one was awful. The instructor (Claire) told all the English kids that they were stupid (my 5 year old still talks about it) and she told me that English children are incapable of taking instructions! I complained to the office but got little explanation.

As a village LGB was quite nice, there were loads of organised kids activities going on while we were there such as dog sled displays and ice hockey/dancing taster sessions. The Ice Rink was a nice diversion for the kids. Eating out was nothing to write home about though (except the Creperie which was excellent).

On the whole though I'd much more recommend La Clusaz. For me, it has much more going for it. I love the village, never get bored with the slopes, ESF there is fab, loads of nice restaurants, always had fresh snow, not too expensive, very friendly - basically, I want to live there!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We used to have a place there. Smalland quiet. A few restaurants & one "nightclub". If you're looking for a quiet relaxing holiday then this is the place! Lift queues were none existant and the pistes were well tended and did offer something for everyone (advanced skiiers may want to go all the way to the top then drop down the back off-piste).

Be warned though, it is quiet and you'll be dissapointed if you're looking for other English company - there is hardly anyone in the village.

Feel free to PM me if you need to know something specific because we used to have a place there so I know it well.

Adam
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DoA, welcome to Snowheads, what a very helpful first post! Honest, too...Do you have a place somewhere else now?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marmalade, DoA, Thanks again - all very helpful. We are more than happy with quiet and restful, so wild nightlife not a consideration. Don't mind no other English either! Thanks also for the heads-up about ESF - after a run-in with them at La Grand Terche this year, we doubt we would use them again, but good to know that would be a viable decision in LGB.

Oh, yes and Welcome to SnowHeads DoA, snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anniepen, Have only stayed at the La Clusaz side of this resort (see here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=288106 ). We loved it and LGB looked excellent....just the transport links that let it down for us, that may have been a one off though! We'd certainly go back, the skiing was lovely and we prefer resorts with a less international flavour.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, Thanks! I have been around various forums & indeed owned / operated them for years and so understand the etiquette.

I will be round snowheads for a while because I'm in the process of setting up a new website that aims to give simple, down to earth & honest advice about the Bulgarian resort of Borovets. I understand that it is bad practice to link / advertise personal sites whilst still a 'noob' so if you want to see it, just PM me.

And yes, we now have a new apartment in .... you guessed it ... Borovets.

DoA

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 19-08-07 21:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I went to La Clusaz for a long weekend a few years ago and it certainly seems to be a good place for a few of days
latest report
We went to La Clusaz this year in Feb and was a great long weekend ski, would go again - plently run's to keep you occupied with.
latest report
Quote:

we now have a new apartment in .... you guessed it ... Borovets

Comiserations to a fellow investor in Bulgaria!
snow conditions
On the subject of lessons - Starski Based in Chinaillon are generally quite good BUT if you are given an older guy called Jaques ask for a change immediately.............unless you want the kids to be taught 80's style! ( Lovely guy, excellent English but stuck in a time warp ski wise.)
snow report
marmalade, I love it! Never been to Bansko but Borovets is brilliant!
snow report
Did LGB for a long week end but for me it was too small for a week. LGB can be slid out in a morning and LC is a short day. Convenience to Geneva makes it an excellent week end resort though.
ski holidays
ashton parker, Bode Miller would struggle to do La Clusaz in a day! There's plenty there to amuse even the most train spotterish piste bagger for a while.
snow conditions
ashton parker, Having been to LC and LGB with kids I can confidently say that there's no way Anniepen could do either resort in a day or even a weekend with kids. There's plenty of area to keep a family amused for a week if the snow cover is reasonable. OK you could possibly cover each area in a day or two if:

-you had no kids with you
-you stayed on piste
-you only did each run once
-there were no queues at all

I imagine this is not the case for most of us.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy