Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lesson Plans

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys, I've got my first shift as an instructor on Sunday and as you'd expect I'm a bit nervous. Does anybody know any sites that have lesson plans for Levels 1-4 or somethng of some guidance. Would just ease the nerves a bit if I could know my game 110%.

Jono ;]
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jono, Sorry - no! Make it up as you go along. They can already ski so watch them first, ask them what they want to achieve. Is this a one off or a series of lessons, that will affect what you do with them too. Not much help I daresay, but you've done the course so you'll be fine. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jono, how about looking in the BASI manual rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What happened to shadowing etc.? Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jono, I second veeeight, Have you not done any shadowing?
If you have and it was all fine and dandy, then you'll be fine, you'll know a lot more than your class, just do what you've been taught.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 8-08-07 17:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been on holiday for 3 weeks since my Basi course and drunk all my knowledge away Laughing

BASI manual is a good idea indeed. But... I<3internet more.

Was only trying to make sure I could deliver a perfect lesson full of looooooooootsa different drills but I guess I'll just stick to what I already know rolling eyes Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jono, you will be surprised how fast an hour goes and as long as you have a few drills in your mind for each level of skier i recon you will do just fine, Good Luck wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jono, Best advise is keep it simple, like skimottaret says, a few drills for each target level to start with, rather than loads of drills that might not be relevant and you're not sure of what they're being used for, they may ask why they're doing a particular drill and you'd look pretty stupid if you didn't know why.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jono, speaking mainler as a drillee rather than driller, it's really best to have a one or two well targetted drills than a whole slew, that may well just confuse. Well targetted so the student knows it's fixing a problem that's a major impediment to where the student's trying to go. Depending on how analytical and adaptible your students are it could be quite important to explain the purpose of the drill and, most importantly, when you've got there and when you've gone too far. Drills are generally there to correct a problem, and when that's fixed it's important to know when you're overdoing it Embarassed . And of course - show them all your tools in the first lesson, they'll have no incentive to come back.....remember repeat business is your friend!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jono, good luck, hope it all goes well. I remember being mortified on the morning of doing my first lessons. Little kids in the pooring rain-there's nothing like going in at the deep end!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As a mother I've sat watching many hours of lessons, often I feel the attitude of the instructor is quite important. Some of them are more interested in chatting up the other instructors and posing than they are in the kids. I think the fact that you have asked this question is great and I'm sure with that attitude you'll do just fine. Good luck Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kitty,
Quote:

I remember being mortified on the morning of doing my first lessons. Little kids in the pooring rain-there's nothing like going in at the deep end!

Yes, but little known to you, the little kids you were teaching happened to be Pete Silver-Gillespie BASI Trainer's Kids. Shocked Talk about in at the deep end, no pressure and all that. Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jono, One other thing that might help would be to turn down the music a bit first.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jono I too am an Instructor, although NOT in teaching skiing, but I guess the same principles apply. I teach gymnastics, and if I have carefully made a lesson plan, you can bet your life that I don't stick to it, so I now don't bother, although I do have a few ideas before taking my classes. Go with the flow, and things will take a natural progression. Good luck ! Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jono,

You can't have a lesson plan until you know what level they ar and how they ski. Don't worry - they won't be judging you! I know how you feel however - before my first lesson I was more nervous than i have been in my whole life - French Oral exams included!!
latest report
Two useful stock phrases for you:

1. "I could slide a toilet seat under your butt"

2. "Your skiing is hindering your equipment"
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy