Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots - buy in resort or in UK?

Poster: A snowHead
For my "significant" birthday this year my wife is going to pay for a new set of boots.

We already have two holidays booked this year - the PSB in LDA and a week in Tignes le Lac.

If I buy in LDA I have the advantage of being able to return to the shop over the course of the few days that I ski in them there, but I don't have any particular knowledge of the bootfitters there (though I'm sure easiski can point me in the right direction). Also I could wait till April because I remember someone strongly recommended a shop in Tignes (anyone know which?)

My original plan had been to buy boots in the UK (Lockwoods at Leamington is 2 hours away, CEM at Bicester a bit closer) which have the advantage of being well-recommended bootfitters but no easy possibility of adjustments after purchase other that a 3-4 hour round-trip.

What are people's views, buy in resort or buy here?

(Edited for 1 typo)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Resort, it's the only place IMO, otherwise the only people capable, with the right range of Product, has to be Lockwoods. No disrespect to CEM, he knows his stuff alright. That said, it will take a good evaluation of your feet. Perhaps, with a foot in good condition, any good Bootfitter, should be able to get it right first time. CEM would be the best place to start for the said foot evaluation, this is an extra cost but may save you a packet in the long run.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nick L, It's a difficult one isn't it ? I am buying boots for my SO for his birthday, I am of course, leaving it to him to make the decision as to where he goes. Like yourself we have a 3-4 hour round trip to see CEM which can add £30 or so onto the cost of any visit, but personally, I am happy to see CEM as he will get to know you, your feet, boots and their problems, much like a Dr does his patients wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks SZK.

I forgot to say that I am on my second pair of boots, bought in Canada in 2000 with some fairly basic off-the-shelf footbeds. I have not really had any problems with them except that I feel that they are bit loose (even on the tightest setting) now, and I don't think are giving me enough control. I think they are also a bit too difficult to flex at the ankle (but that might just be my poor skiing).

I do a lot of running and have some custom-made orthotics in my trainers.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nick L, Forgot to say, I went to Lockwoods boot day initially and was fitted by SZK, and have seen CEM for fitting heatronics and minor adjustments to my boots. My first set of boots were bought from S & R and like yourself only had off the shelf footbeds, and they were good boots and I was very happy with them. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wait till you get to Tignes and go to see Franck @ nevada sports. fitted me a treat in january and was recommended independetly by several people - PG over on mysnowsports.com, Stuart Woodward from here, my tour op rep, and the reps from two other tour ops
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nbt, that's the guy, thanks!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nick L, Another vote for CEM, (and if you need more justification to travel there is always the Designer outlet village a short walk away from CEM's office!)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin, you have clearly met my wife!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
how much should you pay for your first pair?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
northantsred, some of us are fortunate enough to have gotten them for free. . .
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nick L, I'm not sure easiski has seen this. There is allegedly a good bootfitter in L2A. He is apparently 'very' critical of other bootfitters. His French leaves somewhat to be desired as well .. but I can cope with that (just).

Anyways ... I had new boots off CEM/SZK; minor pain meant minor adjustment ; I couldn't get to Cham ( last minute plan changes ) and, reluctantly, took up the easiski suggestion. Job done ( well) but more importantly he was super-impressed by the standard of work by CEM/SZK ( he couldn't accept they were Brits !) .

Read into that what you will but I have CEM/SZK's ability validated and you have a good L2A bootfitter ??? Do take easiski with you though ( unless you are comfortable in French) .. his English isn't good/precise enough imho ..
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
northantsred, I paid £140 if that's any help for a pair suitable for an improving beginner
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, oh! He's talking about boots! Embarassed wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Agenterre, will speak to easiski.
ski holidays
Nick L, Why not take a day off and visit the boys at the bootclinic http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=28707
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, good idea in theory - and that was my original plan - but I am running a GP educational course for just 2 days this year and guess what - it's those 2 days Sad
latest report
Quote:

but I am running a GP educational course for just 2 days this year and guess what

I presume this is a manual handling course so that they don't hurt themselves carrying their wages out to the car. Sub contract it out wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, I guess, given the pay that the Daily Mail says I get, I should just simply command CEM into my presence for an exclusive foot assessment in the comfort of my palace.
ski holidays
Nick L, We'll be still around at the weekend after the Boot Clinic, well the Saturday. However there will not be appointments.
latest report
Nick L, Why not use the same bloke that fitted your helmet wink
snow report
Thanks SZK, that's a possibility then. Will discuss with the purchaser (my wife!)
latest report
I am doing the opposite of Nick L, and buyiing my wife new boots for her Birthday! Extravogent, I know but a significant reduction in outlay from last year's diamond ring she convinced me I owed her!!

Anyway, I have seen the details of the Boot Clinic but the dates will probably not work for us. Also, it is a fair trek to Leamington, especially with two ankle biters to drag along/ dump on someone (these are the reason she reckoned I owed her the bling!).

I got my boots (Salomon X Wave Cool some time ago from Wrights in P'boro and have never had a problem with them but my reservation is they (at the time anyway) almost exclusively stocked Salomon boots. I realise that this may not be the best way to get the perfect fit so I wondered if anyone could recommend or otherwise The Ski Exchange near Cambridge. This would be easily do-able in a day for us but would be good to have the confidence of a few recommendations before taking the plunge.

Alternatively, can anyone recommend anywhere else within striking distance of S. Lincs?

I have read numerous recommendations for CEM, Zookeeepers, Lockwoods but with greatest respect to those guys would prefer something more local if it's going to be a viable option.

Thanks in advance...
latest report
Ski Tyke, Wrights have now moved into bigger premises part of the Two Seasons franchise. Guess they will have a larger range this Winter.
ski holidays
Ski Tyke, not being funny, but how big do you think the UK is? S Lincs to Leamington - surely do-able (unelss you meam public transport...)?
ski holidays
It's not too bad a drive, I went last year.
snow report
FenlandSkier, Yeah, but you are clearly more adventurous - maybe your webbed feet are more forgiving than for others who have not yet tested their abilities Puzzled apologies for nonsens - too much pop Embarassed
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, , FenlandSkier, Don't worry, I don't come out in a cold sweat if I can't see Boston Stump! wink For the record I'm a Yorkshireman on missionary work in the Fens and drive about 600 miles a week so I am familiar with the intricacies of road transport.

I just wondered if anyone had bought boots successfully more locally than Leamington as this seems to be the only UK shop discussed on here. If it really is so much better than anywhere else (and if that's what you're all saying, thats fine) then I will find a map and a local to lead me to the edge of oblivion before venturing above sea level for the day...!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ski Tyke, profeet are also very good and I would highly recommend them - except they are in London which I guess is not much good for you.
ski holidays
Ski Tyke, I bought my first pair from Tallington dry slope, they saw me through 3 or 4 seasons with no problems but after the bootfitting day at Lockwoods last year I'm now in a pair a full size smaller Shocked
Would I buy from them again? Probably - I'm a lot more aware of what I want from a boot now (although I'd still aim towards a bootfitting day or a trip to CEM or the zoo first).
latest report
Well I took the advice and went to Lockwoods yesterday and my wife seems to have got sorted with a pair of very comfortable boots (Atomic). The whole process was very easy and took about an hour in total.

Slightly O/T but if anyone is planning a visit to Lockwoods I would highly recommend lunching at "restaurant 23", 23 Dormer Place, Leamington.

It's a tiny little restaurant but the food was divine and the set lunch menu was reasonably priced.

All in all made for a pleasant day out but most impotantly I'm looking forward to a week of whinge free skiing in January - can't wait!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy