Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Level 1 dumbed down

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just noticed this on the BASI website: http://www.basi.org.uk/courses.aspx

Looks like L1 is pitched below ASSI, but above Club Instructor level. This to me is a change in the original way that the L1 was put across by BASI as being an ASSI replacement/alternative.
If you have ASSI you can convert to L1 with no pass/fail assessment, just attend the 1 day course, as the pass level is below ASSI standard.
If you have CI, same 1 day course, but a pass/fail test at the end of it.

The L1 looks to be pitched at the SSE CI business, but a retrograde step for those who already hold ASSI.

If you can now get BASI L1 at a standard equivilent to a good CI pass, it now leaves a much larger gap between the L1 and L2 Ski Instructor levels.

Is this being done by BASI for financial reasons to corner the market or really in the best interest of the people taking the course.
I'm sure that people that already hold an ASSI will see the L1 conversion as a dumbing down of their level, as they will be now compared to Instructors who before would only have been good CI standard.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spyderman, I know many ASSI's who ski to a better standard than BASI 3's and would echo your last thoughts.
The new system needs time to evolve and also BASI need to value the CI award as a stand alone qualification. Many people use CI as an entry towards teaching, if only part time.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dunk,
Quote:

Many people use CI as an entry towards teaching, if only part time.

I did exactly the same thing, CI in 1991, before moving up through the levels and I still only teach part time.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spyderman, CI ~~ I never knew you could ski in the Channel Islands Toofy Grin snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sounds to me they are trying to make going for a CI rating pointless and mop up all of SSE's training business. It does sound from everything reported that BASI and SSE are really struggling to cooperate and BASI is (IMO rightly) steaming ahead and shaping a single training system for prefessional instructors. If someone still wants a CI for volunteer club teaching i guess that is still available to themselves

also sounds to me they are pitching the level 1 more like the canadian/USA level 1 which has IMO always seemed like a lower entry level skiing standard than the old trainee instructor....

Spyderman, i agree it is a dumbing down as before the ASSI and L1 where roughly equivalent.

Dunk, I have seen the opposite in terms of ability but at the first level pass it is mainly down to the amount of skiing experience. I think there are a lot of good skiers at CI , ASSI or B3 level that dont prgress their ratings but certainly improve their skiing ability over the years.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy