Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Going to Whistler for New year, do I rent a car?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we are off to Whistler for 2 weeks over new year, and wondered if it is worth renting a car or is public transport good enough to get around. There is a express bus which goes to and from the airport, but as we have no experience of Whistler I don't know how isolated it is. The other obvious question is what are the roads likely to be like, I don't fancy trekking for miles through drifts and black ice etc.

Fro reference, we are going for the skiing and related stuff, I have no interest in sightseeing.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lenniem, been twice and each time took a private transfer to resort. you don't need a car when there and you'll end up paying rental for the 2 weeks, when you don't need to.
as for driving, I'm glad we went with a transfer over the coach / public transport as the weather was poor on the drive up and after such a long flight hte last thing you wnat is to be driving for 2 hours in snow on roads you don't know.

we went with following and also got a discount on ski pass.
Allison - Reservations Agent
Star Limousine Service
328 Industrial Avenue 604.685.5600 Fax 604.685.2500
Vancouver, BC V6A 2P3 800.803.9222 www.starlimousine.com

hope this helps
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's a beautiful drive up, but rob and sharon are right, the car will sit in the carpark or garage for two weeks, unless you're planning on visiting anywhere else.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.whistlerplatinum.com/GettingHere.html

I would advise the option at the bottom of the page
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Whistler Perimeter bus is the 'usual' option for getting from Vancouver to Whistler (unless there are a few of you, in which case a taxi might be cheaper). www.perimeterbus.com (which is in BGA's list of transport options) - they can drop you off at your hotel/apartment for slightly more money.

When you get to Whistler, the public transport is very good. It's easier and more convenient than driving around...and its free as long as you're not staying out in creekside.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lenniem, if you are in the village no need for car or public transport, the bus from Vancouver to Whistler gets booked up on the weekend so reserve your seat in advance, alternatively a stretch limo at about $260 ish (one way) is a good bet for a small group (especially if you did not reserve the bus when arriving on a Friday evening from UK just before Presidents week as I did) and will stop for a refreshment break if you want. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

stretch limo

A good call, but make sure no-one in your party gets car sick. We used that option and because the suspension on the limos is a bit wallowy, you can't see out the front and the road is quite undulating one of our party got very queasy. If everyone travels well then it's a good choice
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rayscoops wrote:
lenniem, , alternatively a stretch limo at about $260 ish (one way) is a good bet for a small group. Very Happy

Our advice would be to avoid a stretched Limo, go with a 4x4.
Last time we were in whistler the driver had taken a limo up hte night before and it had taken him 4 hours, for a trip that is normally about 2, as the weather was bad and the limos don't handle as well.
just a thought
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Limo, 4 x 4, 2 weeks whistler. Stop teasing rolling eyes Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob and sharon, glad you confirmed that limos don't handle too well. I thought we had overloaded it with call girls and cocaine Little Angel
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BGA wrote:
glad you confirmed that limos don't handle too well. I thought we had overloaded it with call girls and cocaine Little Angel

knew we left something at the airport wink

then again the white powder in canada will put a smile on your face snowHead Cool
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob and sharon, the 4 x 4 only goes as fast as the cocaine & call girl filled limo (or lorry) in front of it, when the weather is bad all suffer at the pace of the slowest vehicle Very Happy plus any one with a queazy tummy can sit in the front wink btw the limo we were in had something silly like a 6 litre engine in it and went like the smelly stuff off a shovel Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rayscoops, still like the 4x4 option though. rented one when we drove from vancouver to calgary a few years back.
were glad of it too a couple of times when we did some side roads and walks, not to mention the snow when we left Banff.

you are very right though rayscoops, when the roads slow it's slow for all, so whatever you do decide on, choose something that will be cumfortable in for however many hours
have a safe and fun trip. snowHead
lenniem, where are you staying and when are you going?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is there a train now?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont, think they are planning on having a station etc in readiness for 2010 winter Olympics
ski holidays
They're not planning on passenger trains running down that windy old track beside the highway are they? The trains have to run so slowly up there as it is to try and avoid falling off the tracks as it is, and spilling sulphuric acid into the creek (and then they still fall off!). Skullie rolling eyes
snow conditions
They run passenger trains on it already, for example
http://www.goldencanada.co.uk/rockymountaineer/whistler_mountaineer.asp
snow conditions
Not sure if it's true, but I heard a rumour that the train was just running during summer atm.
snow report
The train is intended as a tourist attraction in itself and not as a means of transport. As a demonstration of this, note the prices and services included. Also bear in the mind the need to get from the airport to the train station (which is, by the way, not the main downtown station).
ski holidays
It's a real shame they didn't spend the money they've spent on expanding the sea to sky highway on expanding the railway instead. Getting from the airport to the sea-to-sky highway has always been the worst bit anyway. Yeah ok the new road is wider and straighter so you can get there 5 minutes sooner, but will it still shut in a heavy storm, I guess so - anyway having it shut is great on a powder day (if you're living in Whistler Razz )
It's a pretty grim sight to see the endless trail of SUVs going to Whistler on a Friday and back on Sunday!
latest report
Quote:

but will it still shut in a heavy storm,

So will the train.

Quote:

It's a pretty grim sight to see the endless trail of SUVs going to Whistler on a Friday and back on Sunday!

THAT, is more of the problem. More than air travel a couple times a year!
snow report
stuarth, not so great if you have to leave in the snowstorm though, and suffer pouring rain for your day in Vancouver though. Sad
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont wrote:
stuarth, not so great if you have to leave in the snowstorm though, and suffer pouring rain for your day in Vancouver though. Sad

Pouring rain in Vancouver? Who'd have thought it? wink Razz
snow conditions
lenniem, was in Whistler for honeymoon - best place ever - and the big splash out was taking the helicopter from Vancouver downtown up to Whistler - AMAZING journey - more pricey than the limo for sure (unless you're factoring in the call girls and cocaine) but not absolutely outrageous .... highly recommended!
snow report
Might be a little steep for me, we are going for two weeks over new year, so is expensive enough already (have booked condo with private Hot tub Happy ) I think the bus is going to be the best option, which reminds me I must get that booked. Feeling poor just thinking about it!
ski holidays
Lenniem, who did you book your condo thru? If it was Allura you can get a discount when you book with Perimeter for teh transfers. Although, if there are 3 or more of you, is as cheap to take a prebooked taxi.

Definitely no need to rent a car, if you are staying centrally.
snow report
As Robbie says a taxi is good value if there are more than 3 of you. See Whistler Taxi. It's $205 one way for a van that takes up to 6 passengers and luggage. The luxury is that it's sitting waiting for you as you leave the airport rather than you waiting on a bus. And you leave straight away. You should add a tip on to that price though of 15 to 20%.

Seen any more bears Robbie? Very Happy
snow report
lenniem, we booked through Allura both trips. Great accommodation.

Limo definitely cheaper (when I was there anyway) once there are 3 or more of you. Driver on way up allowed us to spark up the Widow Cliquot, driver on the way down (6 of us, large SUV) had a library of DVDs and let us stop to collect beers. Marvellous. And you feel like a princess. Sorry, I mean, manly, heroic, prince of course.

I believe this is not strictly legal...(stopping for booze that is, not feeling like, an, errm, prince)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lenniem, I forgot to add that we have hired a car before for the drive up. Avis do one-way round trip specials which means you can pick up a car from the airport and drop it off with Avis in Whistler. Then on the day of departure you pick up another car in Whistler and drop off at the airport. The main advantages were that we could go at our own pace and stop whenever we wanted (our daughter was 16 months the first time and just over 2 the second) and we could also stop at Squamish and stock up on groceries before getting to Whistler. We were lucky both trips with the weather and the driving was easy. It's not like the alps with lots of twisty roads and has 2 lanes a lot of the way now. However, I wouldn't like to do it if it was covered in snow or ice. The rental companies don't give you winter tyres only all season ones and they're not so good in the snow. The other thing I'd like to add is that both times we had stayed at the airport hotel the first night and so drove up to Whistler the next morning.
ski holidays
I don't really know why anyone wants to drive up to Whistler (we had to pay for parking and there's nowhere else to drive to anyway).

But if you do want to drive, the roads are not bad at all. Whistler base in only 2000 ft (or less?) so there's rarely much snow/ice on the road. And if there's any, the Canadian plow drivers are pretty quick in pushing them all off to the side. We're NOT talking about a mountain pass here. It's just a highway by the sea for a good part of the way.

On the other hand, driving on the wrong side of the road, and turning on the windshield wiper when you really mean to signal for a turn, THAT, is more annoying. Very Happy
ski holidays
abc, we were pleased we had the car in the end, even if it had stood in the (free) garage.We left early and spent the day in Stanley park and VAncouver. If we'd left later and gone straight to the airport on the bus/limo we'd have missed the flight home. There was a massive accident, which we got past, but they then closed the road for four hours.
latest report
abc, and we didn't keep the car while we were there. We only had it for the drive up and then gave it back to Avis and picked another one up the day we went home. We've never felt we needed a car while we were in resort but it was handy and cheaper to be able to pick up groceries in Squamish on the way up.
latest report
Well, I can see if you're doing self-catering that a car can be handy for grocery shopping. May even justifies having it the entire duration.

When I went in the summer, we were able to drive around to other places, to hike around water falls and such. But not so much to do in the winter.
snow conditions
geetee, our limo stopped so we could get 'groceries' too wink , and the driver had a ciggy break at the same time Very Happy
snow report
rayscoops, yes but with the amount of dithering that I'm capable of I don't think the limo would be too happy to stop that long in Squamish! Laughing
latest report
geetee, the driver would no doubt have been a bit squeamish about stopping for you in that case Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy