Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

where near Milan

Poster: A snowHead
got return flights with ryanair for £30 return incl taxes and baggage fee to Milan, where does anyone suggest to go from there for a 4 day braek in Jan wink Razz
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cervina for motorways, high skiing and sun. Gressoney or Champoluc which are a bit closer for a scout round to see that what the Monterosa has to offer. The latter 2..certainly Gressoney la trinite, has limted apres-ski but then that is not what most go for. If the snow is good and fresh and you like that sort of thing...La Trinite, for sure. If it is marginal, Cervinia.

I assume you'll hire a car
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
anyone got any advice on hotels/apartments that do 4 nights will be hiring a car so transfers not a prob snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
3.5 hours to Verbier on the train wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
good shout any details on booking train mate
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How about some of the resorts near Brig, which is 2.5 hours by train from Milan? Bettmeralp, Blatten and Riederalp are all close by. Saas Fee and Zermatt aren't that much further!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Book trains from Milan to Switzerland through Deutsche Bahn Uk (www.bahn.co.uk). No you don't need to actually go to Germany! Trenitalia are hopeless.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jase2472 are your flights into Milan (Bergamo)? think this is where lyingair usually fly into.

Bear in mind that this place is quite a way out of Milan itself but you may well be able to get the train straight from Bergamo without going into Milan........
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.sbb.ch/en/

Less practical from Bergamo as transfer is nearer 5.5 hours on train. Just had a quick look on Via Michelin and the drive is just over 3 hours from Bergamo to Verbier, might be a better option
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
looks like i am off to verbier wink snowHead anyone reccomend any hotels or apartments
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is this for real?

Verbier for 4 days from Milan Bergamo? I know BGA, loves the place ..but! Might as well have paid £150 extra and flown to GVA! Driving , you still have to go up the Aoste valley ( past all the ski resorts !!!! ) and then up to the Gd Dt Bernard tunnel ( 1600m??) to get into Switzerland ....

Montecampione is allegedly the closest resort to Bergamo , didn't Ray Zorro go there ???
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
one of the closest to Bergamo is Foppolo, think Ray Zorro did it as a day trip, I also visited along with Peter Leuzzi and a couple of other guys, do a search for the full story but to be honest not that exciting for more than 2 days max

jase2472 if you do visit Foppolo this single chair is a must!

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jase2472, We use the Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Milan quite a lot (my partner is Italian and is from Valle d' Aosta). The best places to go are in Valle d' Aosta region as previously said by others on this site. Like the others, I can recommend Gressoney, Cervinia or even La Thuile. I take it you are flying into Milan Bergamo - Valle d' Aosta region is about 2½ - 3½ hours by car from Milan Bergamo airport depending on which resort.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agenterre, fair point, and I did in fact initially post tongue in cheek (note the smiley). But as we all know, Verbier is the best ski town in the world so what's a mere three hour drive to experience it in all it's majesty?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BGA, Missed the smiley ( and not your fault anyone agreed with you Shocked ) .

It isn't a 3 hr drive in January (or possibly ever wink) ... via Michelin may say 3 hr 1/2 but those motorways around Milan are worse than the M25 .., then the last 80 kms over the GSB ( if open in January) will take 2 hrs + ( depending upon how many lorries you get stuck behind) ... one of the reasons I frequently go through France and all the way around Lac Leman in winter even though it's nearly 200km further !

I still have too many resorts to visit to call anywhere 'best' Toofy Grin
snow report
Agenterre,
Quote:

I still have too many resorts to visit to call anywhere 'best'

Trust me, I've been to loads and Verbier is the best Toofy Grin

The motorways outside Milan can be busy, although I've only ever had real problems once, which was on a Sunday morning when AC Milan were at home and it was carnage. The GSB pass is, as you state, almost never open in winter, however the tunnel is the recommended route on VM so shouldn't be a problem. I think that 3.5 hours is a reasonable estimate
I did post this partly as a joke but thinking about it more, if I did fly into Bergamo for a long weekend I would probably head over to Verbier. It's only 1.5 hours on top of the transfer from GVA and for the best skiing in the world what's 1.5 hours?
snow report
jase2472,
Said it before but for a break in January sensible thing to do is wait and see where the snow is, loads of places possible from bergamo. Andermatt is another possibility I have looked at when flying there.
snow report
It was none too clever around Milan while we drove from Bergamo in Summer last year. A total carpark on the autostrada (the motorhome in front was even making lunch) for almost 2 hours.
ski holidays
I did Passo Tonale on a 4 day break once, its high so it should have snow, not the longest runs but a good mix of Reds. IF you are in Bergamo you are already 45mins closer than Milan. I think it took a couple of hours to drive up
latest report
agree with Helen Beaumont, we got stuck in a massive que on the way back to malepensa last winter, lukily got off after a couple of miles and ended up driving across country instead

ajbaldwin, I agree that Passo Tonale is a good idea, plenty to do there for a few days I reckon, recommend the runs on the extreme right as you look up the main mountain from the town, ideal for some high speed carving Smile
snow conditions
BGA wrote:
Agenterre, But as we all know, Verbier is the best ski town in the world so what's a mere three hour drive to experience it in all it's majesty?

It's just the mountains surrounding it which let it down. wink
snow conditions
Quote:

It's just the mountains surrounding it which let it down

I shall not dignify that comment with a detailed response........
ski holidays

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 8-08-07 10:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
thanks for all your comments i am swaying towards verbier if its only a 3 hr drive land late at Bergamo so ythat day is a none ski-ing day and we fly back at 2200hrs so we will still get 4 full days in ski-ing, just a quick one when i hire a car in Granada to go to Sierra nevada we are not allowed to take the car out of the country i take it the same doesn't apply when hiring from Bergamo snowHead
latest report
jase2472, It's not a 3-hr drive. To be blunt, that is misleading; the suggestion that it's only 1 1/2 hours further than GVA to Verbier is nonsense ... I know those roads 'reasonably well ' like JB1970 .....

Your decision .... I look forward to the 'road trip' report when you get back

Toofy Grin
latest report
Agenterre,
So where do you suggest for me i am flying into Bergamo don't mind a few hours drive and what something with decent nights out for a group of lads
latest report
jase2472, Sauze d-oulx, nearer to Turin of course, but not too bad a drive from Bergamo.
snow report
jase2472, Just about anywhere already mentioned is a more practical option; I wouldn't do it, but even Chamonix is closer and a lot more easily and quickly accessible , even if you still have to go thru a tunnel!

.... I know the area reasonably well but not the ski resorts ... sorry.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did Passo Tonale a few years ago. Plenty to keep you busy for a few days and high, so snow should be good. Have also done Pila in the Aosta valley - good skiing but NO nightlife to speak of.
snow report
Looking at a map Madesimo looks reasonably close. Never been but maybe someone else has?
snow report
jase2472, What do you consider good nightlife ?

There are plenty of good restaurants and bars in Courmayeur.

Passo Tonale or any of the places above Trento like Andalo or Fai della Paganella might be nearer to the airport. Madonna di Campiglio is a bit further off the autostrada, but I don't know how good a road it is.
snow conditions
The thing to remember is that in a crap hire car driving over the montain passes is a pain in the back bottom. When I did Tonale it was in blizzard conditions and I nearly had to pull over and kip in the car!!!

And that is one of the closer resorts. If you dont mind the drive then Madonna is a good all round resort, its a little bit prada fur ski suits for my taste but I did a day there and its a nice place

What I am saying is don't think you can hire a car in winter in the alps then whip to any resort you like just because google maps says it will only take 3 hours
latest report
ajbaldwin, That was part of the reason I mentioned Courmayeur and Andalo/Fai della Paganella, they are close to the valley roads.

In comparison Gressoney took about an hour after leaving the motorway even on dry roads.
latest report
jase2472,

If the snow is good, you could look at Arraba or Selva, two of the more well known resorts in the Sud Tyrol ( Dolomites )

I'd look to book accom nearer the time and follow the snow. Jan isn't going to be much of a problem last minute, I'd have thought..
latest report
MONTEROSA CHAMPOLUC http://www.monterosa-ski.com/
snow conditions
looks like Chamonix found a 3 room apartment at base of Le Mont blanc that sleeps six for 384 euros for 6 people for 4 nights seems like a good deal to me just need to talk a few mates into going now, shouln't be a problem at flight and accom for around 100 of the queens finest pounds snowHead Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy