Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Big Sky - Feb/Mar 2008

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

We are looking at Big Sky next year, and were looking for any snowheads who have been, and can comment on this resort.
Any information on previous experiences from snow to accomodation would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance, Sutts snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snow good. Can be bloody cold. No matter how fanatical you are about skiing take the opportunity to see Yellowstone.

If you're mobile try Bridger Bowl too.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sutts, have you seen this report

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=92003
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Sutts,
I have been living in Big Sky for the past year - please PM me with any specific queries.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ESA (Epic Ski Academy)?

End of March, I believe.

Second the REQUIRED visit to Yellowstone.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sutts wrote:
Hi Guys,

We are looking at Big Sky next year, and were looking for any snowheads who have been, and can comment on this resort.
Any information on previous experiences from snow to accomodation would be greatly appreciated.

Been there a few times - see here for a blog report and

And look in photo album list at http://gortonator.spaces.live.com for some photos. It was low-ish snow when we were there, but still a great place. Some epic terrain and certainly one of my favorite places.

Ian
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nickski wrote:
Snow good. Can be bloody cold. No matter how fanatical you are about skiing take the opportunity to see Yellowstone.

If you're mobile try Bridger Bowl too.

I agree, Big Sky and Bridger Bowl both well worth visiting, and (to European eyes) very few people on the slopes ie no lift queues! Very Happy

I Third the recommendation for a Yellowstone visit Toofy Grin - I have stayed in Yellowstone twice in winter, and at that time of year it is really magical (aka Land of Frost and Fire!). Note if you have a hire car, only the North Entrance to the park at Gardiner is kept clear for road vehicles, other entrances such as West Yellowstone are only accessible by snowvehicles ie snowmobiles and snowcoaches. Either way, rather than just a day visit I would recommend actually staying in the park, winter packages are shown here.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The only bad thing about Big Sky is the journey - when I went, it needed three flights each way from the UK. But you soon recover from a long journey.

We went for a family holiday during half-term in 2005. The ski area is generously large by North American standards, but the most impressive thing was the lack of skiers. This was the busiest time of the year, but there was scarcely anyone on the slopes. I posted a few photos up here when I came home (just to show my kids that their dad could understand html!) and they give a fair reflection of how uncrowded the place is. The only thing that stops me going back is the cost - cheap flights have been hard to come by since my last visit and cost matters when you're paying for five.

My advice:

- Go there. You'll never forget the trip
- Stay slopeside. You can save a few $$ by staying at the bottom of the valley but it's not worth it - the town is no bigger than the mountain village and you'll have a long drive each day.
- Visit Yellowstone. It's so awesome that a day's skiing is a small price to pay.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And ski the 'backside' Moonlight Basin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike Pow wrote:
And ski the 'backside' Moonlight Basin

A group of us stayed at Moonlight this January. We got ridiculously high quality accommodation in huge 3 bedroom, slopeside condos, and had easy access over to Big Sky on the lifts during the day and transit bus in the evening. It was a delight - and completely deserted at moonlight during the day.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks guys, All positive feedback!! We are two couples, who are fairly well travelled and are used to long and broken flights, so flight lengths aren't really a problem.
Smokin Joe, Thanks for pointing out Wear The Fox Hat's in depth report, I don't know how I missed that.
Martin Bell, I may well take you up on your offer nearer booking time re: accomodation etc.
Yellowstone Park sounds worth a look then as well, we normally go for 10-14 days so we will have plenty of time.

That's me sorted then!! Now, do I buy those new skis or not?? Cheers, Sutts Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It is possible to get to Bozeman with 2 flights from the UK: Northwest from Gatwick via Minneapolis, or United from Heathrow via Chicago. But availability on certain dates may be limited because the aircraft that fly the second leg into Bozeman tend to be quite small.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Many thanks Martin.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some details about new chairlifts have just been released:
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2716
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Martin Bell wrote:
Some details about new chairlifts have just been released:
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2716

wow - that will be excellent. And when there's a new way up to the top after next year, it'll be a massive improvement.

And just a 10 hour drive from here Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
If you're mobile enough to get to Bridger Bowl then you really should consider driving the extra distance to the hidden treasure in this area, Discovery. It is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Big Sky compared to around 90 minutes to Bridger Bowl. It is a small, funky resort with steep terrain that rivals anything you'll find at Big Sky or Jackson Hole.

If you do plan on skiing Bridger Bowl on a weekend send me a note & I'll give you a tour. (Depending on my work load I might be available for a quick morning tour during the week.)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy