Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

THose darn crazy chairlifts...

Poster: A snowHead
http://blennus.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=29

(Though generally okay, you may wish to use some discretion viewing one or two iof the other items on that site - esp. the fish picture).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Page not found!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Odd. It still works when I click on it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd love to laugh, skanky, but that would sooooo be me Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat, it worded for me, but tis quite large video clip. Your connection might need some oil or something. I did get it eventually, but had to pour another finger of Macallan. It's a fun clip when you get it (as long as it doesn't happen to you).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
interesting point there Jonpim, your browsing tipple is Macallan I see, I'm sipping some italian red wine a sangiovese in fact. What else are we sipping on then ?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonpim wrote:
.... It's a fun clip when you get it (as long as it doesn't happen to you).

Too true.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ise wrote:
interesting point there Jonpim, your browsing tipple is Macallan I see, I'm sipping some italian red wine a sangiovese in fact. What else are we sipping on then ?

Laphroaig.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rioja
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim, good point. I'm a little spoiled by my broadband connection, and should have pointed out that it might be quite large (it downloaded in seconds here).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It brings back bad memories for me when I did something similar after getting my rucksack caught!!!! Embarassed
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Begs the question of whether we should always remove rucksacks before going on lifts - I know I should. And often do. But sometimes it seems too much of a hassle, and I don't.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nick Zotov, Even if you take them off you can still get the buckles caught up in the chain - I know this because I've done it!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's happened to me as well, when a strap on my rucksack got caught while trying to get off the Mt Blanc chairlift in Val d'Isere a few years ago. Instead of being suspended above the ground like that video clip I was dragged along on my chest with the chair above me until I head-butted the emergency stop bar (quite accidentally) and things ground to a halt. Looking back on it is now quite funny, but at the time it was painful and embarrasing! I'm a bit more careful with my straps now...

Regards

Rob
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There by the grace of god..............
ski holidays
Got it this time - problem last night was on broadband at home, but as soon as I clicked it jumped to "Page Not Found" (I tried the root URL, but it was coming up as not found also)

It also show why you shouldn't wear a scarf while skiing - cause then you'll be suspended by your neck... Shocked
latest report
I thought the main reason for not wearing a scarf was that it could be yet another fashion faux-pas?
snow report
Quote:
fashion faux-pas?

Isn't that an oxymoron?
ski holidays
skanky wrote:
Quote:
fashion faux-pas?

Isn't that an oxymoron?
Very Happy
latest report
Nick Zotov, rucksacks on lifts: to remove or not remove.....
I have always left mine on. It is usually only half full to make room for discarded kids stuff. It therefore squashes pretty flat on the chairlift. I had never had any problems until one day last season we were all expecting a bitterly cold day, but it turned out quite mild. Off came everyone's extra layers, and they were stuffed into my backpack. On the next chairlift I went flying on take-off as my backpack was now more like an air-bag and my bum was hardly on the seat. No injury to body. Lots to pride. Lots of laughter. Bored everyone silly with the story for days.
snow conditions
Jonpim, commiserations. I find on some, but not all, cahirlifts, my bum fits only just on the fornt of the chair when I sit down, if I am wearing a rucksack. The other problem can be that some part of the chair grabs the sack as I stand up. On the whole, I feel safer taking the sack off beofre getiing on the chair. But I forget sometimes.
latest report
The other problem with a rucksack is that, because it moves you forwardunless you make an effort to lean back, people smack you one the head - one dippy woman in Val Despair smashed it on my head repeatedly despite my swearing (she was english so understood exactly what I was trying to say!) - another good reason for having a helmet!! Confused snowHead
snow conditions
skanky no. Very synergetic.
snow report
Jonpim wrote:
Nick Zotov, rucksacks on lifts: to remove or not remove.....

You're supposed to remove them it's part of the regulations of usage typically, it's dangerous, you're sharing the lift with people who can be arsed to follow obvious safety precautions. There's plenty of other things you can either throw yourself off or machinery to get caught up in so there's really no need to mess everyone else around.
ski holidays
ise, ouch!

I think I could defend the getting on bit (backpack usually half-empty so I am more on the chair than some of the larger skiers who eat more pizza than I do), but I think you have got me on the getting caught problem. It has never happened to me yet, but you are far more experienced than me on this matter. If I can pontificate here on the benefits of helmets but continue to be irresponsible with my backpack then my credibility is zilch.
Can I come back in now?
latest report
Jonpim, erm... empty or full doesn't make a difference, it's still got straps on it hasn't it ? I've seen a number of people get caught up as they exit the chair with the straps on the sack getting caught in the chair. I also know someone who has a bust ACL after twisting badly during a pantomine on exiting a chair lift.

The lift people in France need a swift boot up the rear about this, they need to stop people getting on the lift with sacks on instead of letting them ignore the signs and shrugging. While they're about it they can stop boarders trying to get on with both feet strapped. Neither of these things happen much in Austria or Switzerland.

Personally I'd not let the large skiers on the lift either (or trains, planes etc), it's not like walking up is going to hurt them Very Happy

I just love the artwork btw
snow conditions
ise wrote:

Personally I'd not let the large skiers on the lift either (or trains, planes etc), it's not like walking up is going to hurt them Very Happy

Take 5kg extra luggage with you and most airlines will charge you for it and justify the charge on the basis of more weight means more fuel. Take a 20kg beergut with you and there's no fee to pay at all.

I wonder if skinny people have ever managed a fare reduction on the basis that they'll need less fuel to shift them around the skies???
snow report
ise,
Quote:

Personally I'd not let the large skiers on the lift either (or trains, planes etc), it's not like walking up is going to hurt them

Ok fine I'll follow you on your walking trip from Switzerland to the UK (good at walking on water are you ?) Seriously thogh this subject has been done to death before.

FenlandSkier, see my reply to ise, however a point to think on, how would you define an average weight, take as an example a short lady of 4'9" and light weight vs a tall 6'8" well muscled (and therfore very heavy) man, clothing manufacturers cannot produce one size fits all so don't even think that transport companies can do so Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't think you do have to decide an average weight, just pick an arbitrary point like they do for luggage allowances. Add this figure to the luggage one and come up with a total figure per punter. Biffas like me lose out on suitcase space but lightweights like my sister get to bring 10 more pairs of shoes. If you're travelling as a group average the allowance across the board and it will probably balance out.

I'm 16 stone and when I get on that plane with my lightweight friends it always strikes me as odd that they (for they read she) usually has to pay extra for being over the luggage limit whereas in reality me+luggage probably weighs more than her+luggage.

There's a tale to be told about my lightweight friend and her not so lightweight luggage. A couple of years back she + better half went on holiday and had to pay excess baggage penalties, halfway into the holiday he discovered she'd packed her exercise weights Confused and not only that but they were the 'fill with water' type ones Shocked which were of course full of water.
latest report
FenlandSkier, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Looks somewhat like something that happened to me in NZ. I was getting off the lift and the guy beside me stumbled. So I held back initally and then proceeded to move away. However as I was going the chair had come around ( I was sitting on the inside) and bang!! I wasn't knocked out but got a pretty deep cut on the top of my head. 10 stitches and one terrible looking bandage later and I was ready for action.

Funnily enough the only snowboard related accidents I had both required stitches. If that's the worst that'l lhappen to me then I'm happy
Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
ise, I've never actually seen any signs stating that backpacks should be removed, but I haven't been to that many resorts.
After my little incident I asked my instructor about this and he said there were no regulations, but then again, that was Andorra!

Needless to say however, I don't wear my backpack on the lift anymore!!! rolling eyes
snow report
ise wrote:
.... I also know someone who has a bust ACL after twisting badly during a pantomine on exiting a chair lift....

I wrecked a cartilage doing just that. Needed a non-keyhole op. I treat chairlifts with great respect now.
snow conditions
Paul Holland wrote:
ise, I've never actually seen any signs stating that backpacks should be removed, but I haven't been to that many resorts.
After my little incident I asked my instructor about this and he said there were no regulations, but then again, that was Andorra!

Needless to say however, I don't wear my backpack on the lift anymore!!! rolling eyes

I've never been to Andora, so I have no idea but I find it hard to believe there's no signs or that their regulations are vastly different from anywhere else.
snow report
I'm with Paul Holland on this, I've never seen a sign or been told to remove my daysack.

And by sitting at a slight angle I have no problems getting my cheeks on the seat either Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I've seen signs all over the place in the Northern French Alps. Can't remember about elsewhere. I've never been told though, other than by companions. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't take them off, but I have sometimes forgotten. I tend to avoid taking a rucksack when possible, because I think that they accentuate my tendency to have my centre of gravity too far back - as well as the hassle at chairs.
ski holidays
ise, I am the sort of person who normally reads every sign there is, but then again, my experience is limited to Soldeu and Soll, although in Soll I wasn't carrying a rucksack so it may not have registered!
latest report
laundryman, It does worry me that I asked my instructor and he just said it's up to you! Maybe he enjoyed the occasional sight of someone being dragged of backwards down the slope!
snow report
Paul Holland, hey instructors have as much right to be entertained as the rest of us, I do sometimes use a small pack but take it off before getting on a lift
ski holidays
I was always told to put the ruck sac on the front for small day sacks on chairs allows you to keep your hands free etc. Thats ok if they are not to ful. Have always taken them off my back though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy