Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short sharp (cheap) February ski blast, where??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Been thinking of this idea for a while now, and wonder if the snowheads masses might be able to add some extra ideas.

I'm already booked for my main weeks skiing in March (Val d'Saire) but before that in February (first week) I turn the grand age of 30, and what better way to celebrate I thought was for a quick trip skiing with a couple of mates, though since it would be my second trip I would have to do it cheaply, though since it's a big birthday a couple of hundered will be spent.

I started thinking about mid-week flights to keep costs down leave on a Tuesday or Thursday type thing, fly to Geneva, hire a car, and stay in a hostel type place at the resort.
So far I only really know France, but was wondering about other places, perhaps with shorter transfer times than the usual Geneva - French Alps trips I do, Andora?? Swiss resorts??

So any ideas would be appriciated, anyone done this short ski blast type trip before?? Is it viable?

Cheers,
Chris
snow report
 brian
brian
cinglis, it's certainly viable. Your only problem is likely to be accommodation in resort as Feb is the peak time and everyone's looking for full week bookings. Might be easier in hostels, I think Chamonix has some or how about the Bunker in Verbier ? www.thebunker.ch
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try Isola 2000 in France.

90 mins from Nice airport. Plenty of hirecars, buses and accommodation. Spend a day or two in Nice on the way back.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
First week of Feb should be OK as you should miss the half term dates. The Bunker is a good idea, very basic but well located and you get to ski Verbier. What more can anyone ask for?
latest report
 brian
brian
BGA, sautéed foie gras for lunch ? wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
brian,

That Bunker place is exactley what I had in mind, I will have a better look into that tonight when I get home from work, thanks Brian.

Brilliant ideas so far, thanks again folks, this doesn't seem to be such a crackpot idea after all Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
if thinking first week of Feb, think of getting out before the masses descend, Saturday at the beginning of the 2nd week. If thinking midweek - midweek, start in the mid week before the end of January. Should be really great timing. Snow, but no crowds.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brian, there's a superb deli just round the corner from the bunker that sells foie gras and an excellent range of Sauternes. All bases covered Very Happy

Just need to source a supplier of Ortolans for next season now..
ski holidays
 brian
brian
BGA, have you tried them ? Sounds a bit crunchy but surely worth a go. wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
if thinking first week of Feb, think of getting out before the masses descend, Saturday at the beginning of the 2nd week. If thinking midweek - midweek, start in the mid week before the end of January. Should be really great timing. Snow, but no crowds.

Well my actual birthday is on the Wednesday (6th) travelling out on the Tuesday would let me spend my birthday skiing, but would mean a trip back on the Saturday or Sunday (expensive flights?), alternatively travelling out on the Thursday would give the Friday, Sat, Sun, possibly travel back Mon or Tue might be better for getting cheap flights, unfortunately the week earlier is out of the question with another friends 30th (they all happen at the same time!!)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brian, no. A French gourmand friend of mine is a fan and recommends it wholeheartedly. I have told him to count me in next time he has a meal organised
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Saw a bit back on the Neilson site that they were doing Chamonix for £199pp. Might be worth a punt.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well thats it, flights are booked, trawling through airlines sites and my mate came accross flights Edin to Geneva for £55 return, so it would have been rude not too.

Now we just have to work out where to go from there, looks like the shortlist is Verbier and Chamonix as they both have hostels, that Bunker works out arround £13 a night so that will be £65, so flights and accomodation is coming too £120, i've been on week long trips camping in Scotland and spent more than that!!

Now where was that post that skiing is expensive?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cinglis, sounds good. The cost and convenience of transfers to the resort might help make up your mind; that can be quite an expensive part of a DIY trip; it often seems to cost more than the flights.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chamonix if you can get in, short transfer and plenty of companies doing them, and if all fails there is a public bus service. No need to have a hire car as the transport system is good, although Feb will be crowded. Have fun. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy