Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing & Boarding Will Soon Be Unaffordable

Poster: A snowHead
Interesting viewpoint in The Times about how Alpine Wintersports will soon be too expensive for the masses, due to a diminishing supply of snow and resorts:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/columnists/article2176151.ece
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On the other hand, if the weather this summer is anything to go by we could have bucket loads of snow all over the shop. Do you think they'll all shut it with the doom-mongering then?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One swallow does not make a Summer.

The overwhelming longterm trend is that the world is steadily melting.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get into mountain biking. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard, nope, there's always been Jeremiahs.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Where there is a will, there is a way....think of all the previously untapped mountain ranges which will no doubt become more accesible....there is more to life than the Alps.....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Only got as far as the first paragraph before needing to stop - spelling mistakes in the Times, whatever next!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnnyboy, you see that one often - can't think why. (Unless they are indeed holding court in a tearoom, in which case that's fair enough.)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A discussion on this article took place earlier to-day in this thread.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=680451#680451
snow report
 brian
brian
johnnyboy, Lizzard, Lyons is actually the correct (if somewhat archaic) spelling of the name in English. See also Rheims and Marseilles.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitegold wrote:

Since the last Ice Age.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That would be clever..price us all out of the market...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brian, I think they were complaining about "accomodation" (sic).

There, got my own back over "Old Peculier". NehNeh wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:

Why, oh why , do you keep trotting the same lines out? You have more to offer than this ...

The first you have used several times already ... facts are there are so many effing swallows this year that we can treat last winter as 'The occasional cuckoo'.

The second is (in the correct context) correct. If you go back to the 'Ice Age' then you are correct .... but totally worthless to this ski forum after the first couple of utterances! New record/tape/CD/DVD .....please? wink Toofy Grin
snow report
 brian
brian
laundryman, Lizzard wasn't, unless I've misunderstood the tearoom reference. You may be right about johnnyboy. We need a 3rd umpire. wink
ski holidays
brian, ah, I see...
snow conditions
Quote:
It’s not such a bad thing. Those of us without means but who love the Alps will once again relish the lonely silence as we trudge up the mountain trails on foot

That last sentence tells us everything we need to know about the article and the author. Yet another anti-ski industry motivated bit of propganda dressed up as a global warming story!
snow conditions
Winterhighland wrote:
Quote:
It’s not such a bad thing. Those of us without means but who love the Alps will once again relish the lonely silence as we trudge up the mountain trails on foot

That last sentence tells us everything we need to know about the article and the author. Yet another anti-ski industry motivated bit of propganda dressed up as a global warming story!

I gave up before the end so missed that little gem. Reminds me of someone I know around here...
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Interesting viewpoint in The Times about how Alpine Wintersports will soon be too expensive for the masses, due to a diminishing supply of snow and resorts:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/columnists/article2176151.ece

The media attention on skiing and the lack of snow ( went skiing twice and saw lots of snow Puzzled ) this season gone means everyone will be watching like a hawk this winter.

Please let it be a great winter and then some of the doom merchants will shut up. If it is bad again expect every climate change lobby group to get a doubling of thier grant money Mad Mad
snow report
laundryman, brian, Erm, I was on about "accomodation"; I'm not a regular reader of the Times, but I was surprised to see such an obvious error. Only skimmed the article after that because it seemed as though there was nothing new in it anyway - low resorts will often suffer poor snow, and increasingly so in the future, but we'll throw in a bit of scaremongering to make a story.
ski holidays
As I challenged someone else, let us see if in the next ten years we do not get better snow than this season. Then the arsehol*s might have got it right, if however the snow is better thant January 07 will they please just shut up!
latest report
Quote:

are so many effing swallows this year that we can treat last winter as 'The occasional cuckoo'.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

johnnyboy, the 'accommodation' error is such a schoolboy one for a journalist that the perpetrator should be forced to undergo some sort of ritual humiliation. We kept on being subjected to spelling tests when I was doing the NCTJ's pre-entry course (50% of which was a total waste of time, I have to say), in which the word featured with monotonous regularity.
ski holidays
Roy Hockley wrote:
As I challenged someone else, let us see if in the next ten years we do not get better snow than this season. Then the arsehol*s might have got it right, if however the snow is better thant January 07 will they please just shut up!

Nope. One swallow doesn't make a summer! However, one bad winter does make the apocolypse.

Whitegold, Alpine Wintersports are already way too expensive for the masses in your mind - didn't you quote 2 months in a Landrover in the Alps at £10k or some other princely sum recently Wink
snow report
Guvnor wrote:
Where there is a will, there is a way....think of all the previously untapped mountain ranges which will no doubt become more accesible....there is more to life than the Alps.....

but isn't that the Times chappies point... there will still be skiing but there will be less cheap skiing on your doorstep therefore it will be more elitist. Still I think a house price crash and a dose of negative equitity on over mortgaged Brits will do more to make ski holidays inaccessible than global warming , at least in the near term.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof, that does indeed sound more like the sort of thing the industry needs to be worrying about this week.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
davidof, that does indeed sound more like the sort of thing the industry needs to be worrying about this week.

with oil a $78 today, floods, stock market jitters and Gordon Brown's less than steady hand on the tiller (remember this is the guy that promised to make "house price inflation a thing of the past" back in 1997) and the MPC meeting tomorrow it is the kind of thing that concerns me anyway.
snow report
davidof, I'm struggling to get to grips with:

Quote:
negative equitity
ski holidays
laundryman,
Its the long awaited British reduction of calorific intake causing a fall in bra sizes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
www.propertysnake.co.uk/ is quite interesting.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chris wrote:
www.propertysnake.co.uk/ is quite interesting.

Yes it is, I'd heard of it but never looked at the website. Thanks for posting the link. NI doesn't look good does it?

I'm sure the Times, or maybe Daily Mail would love the angle "House Price Crash ends traditional ski holiday" - watch this space. If there is a HPC expect one of the big T.O.s to go under.
snow report
Quote:

if however the snow is better thant January 07 will they please just shut up!

There are two propositions kicking about here:

a. we are in a period of very rapid climate change with warming attributable to an extent never seen before to human activity.

b. last winter's lack of snow in the Alps means that the ski industry is about to wither away.

It is fairly easy to refute the more doom mongering versions of the second proposition but there are now very few pundits worth listening to who would refute the first. Whitegold keeps getting leapt on because of his harping on the second proposition, which is indeed boring and annoying, but that doesn't mean he is wrong about the first one! A snowy winter will no more prove him wrong on that than another very snowless one would prove him right. Whatever happens to the snow next winter it will provide neither side of the argument with the evidence they need for a chorus of "I told you so"s. As for the last two very wet months in the UK, which have no precedent since reliable records began, they seem to be a more reliable indicator that something is up than the pretty run-of-the-mill poor snow season in 2006/7.
snow report
[/quote]last winter's lack of snow in the Alps means that the ski industry is about to wither away.[/quote]

Great news for boarders then - no skiers!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
pam w, although I seem to recall - re the UKs wet weather - a senior politico (Maybe even G Broon?) saying, "this weather is a once in 150 year event and the last time we saw it was 60 years ago".

You can have lies, damn lies and statistics, but getting the stats bit hopelessly wrong is just too pathetic for words... lies at least make more superficial sense...

Your comment "no precedent since reliable records began" is about right. It has been a long time since the recently discovered catastrophic flood that created the English channel and diverted the major river systems of Western Europe...undated but some thought maybe 200,000 years ago.
ski holidays
Quote:

this weather is a once in 150 year event and the last time we saw it was 60 years ago

There's nothing inherently wrong with that statement. It's the way probability works. The fact that you might toss a coin and get three heads in a row doesn't mean that the probability of a head or a tail isn't 50/50. The fact that a kind of flood occurs twice in 60 years doesn't necessarily mean it's not a 150 year event. Though, of course, long term climate change does mean re-working the flood probabilities, once there is enough evidence to do so.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

this weather is a once in 150 year event and the last time we saw it was 60 years ago

There's nothing inherently wrong with that statement. It's the way probability works.

Exactly, for example:

Montroc Avalanche wrote:

It should be remembered that a 150 year event does not mean that an avalanche of that magnitude will occur only once every 150 years but that there is a 1/150 chance that such an event will occur in any year. For longer periods the following formula can be used:

Probability % = 1 – (1/T)L

Where T is the return period and L is the number of years. So for a thirty year period there is an 18% chance of seeing a 150 year avalanche.
ski holidays
I wouldn't try and argue against climate change but there does now seem to be an expectation from some skiing and boarding holidaymakers that every week of every season will be gloriously snowy and if it isn't someting has gone wrong. Thats not how it works. In my 25 years + of skiing there have always been good and bad seasons and good and bad weeks.

I won't be rushing to prebook a trip to anywhere under 2000m for 25 years time but for the moment perhaps we should all chill out a bit (no pun intended) and enjoy any time we get in the mountains?
latest report
Back to the point, let us see (over a relativley short time period 10 years) if we get 10 more years like the beginning of December 2007. If we do, I would believe the "accepted pundits" assertion that we are all banjaxed! Probability will possibly show that we will have years as good as December 2000-2006. No scientific evidence for this, just a belief.

At the end of the 10 year period we shall see. At least until then "half empty" brigade will have the decency to wait and observe and not give the more hopeful in society an endless supply of slurry! 10 years not listening to cr*p will be worth me eating humble pie in 2017.
latest report
Roy Hockley wrote:
Back to the point, let us see (over a relativley short time period 10 years) if we get 10 more years like the beginning of December 2007. .

Blimey ... can you tell me who'll win the 3:30 at Kempton Park on Saturday?

I'm rich , I can go skiing all winter ...I'll make my own snow wink wink Toofy Grin
snow report
I strongly believe that all children should be taught statistics and probability at school. That way they would be better placed when they grew up to assess what the media and politicians were telling them. For that matter, there might be a fighting chance that the media and the politicians themselves understood what they were saying.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
achilles, that's the national lottery well and truly knackered !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy