Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What snowblades should i buy?

Poster: A snowHead
Im an intermediate skier and want to try snowblading or skiboarding whatever its called. Ive been looking at the Salomon Axess 120's and the Rossignol Freez'b 118 but have been warned that these are too long and too thin and it is a big mistake?

I would rather speed over tricks but still want to be able to do everything and releasable bindings is a must. Also dont really want to go smaller than 99. If they arn't the right ones to buy which are and where from? I dont really want to spend much more than £150 for them with bindings.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You should NOT buy snowblades under any circumstances whatsoever. They are the exclusive preserve of schoolchildren and French teenagers wearing jeans. Oh, and some bloke on here who keeps trying to convince us all that the activity has some sort of merit.

If you absolutely insist on doing it, then rent a pair for the day. That should be long enough to put you off the idea.

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm was a intermediate skier and two years ago I was talked into trying snowblades, I now have lost my confidence to get back on ski's, whats the best thing to do? should i just rent ski's next time (morzine in jan 2008) and make a prat of myself? or am stuck on blades forever!! Embarassed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tilly, skis amd lessons
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stemondo NONE Skullie

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 1-08-07 13:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The problem is i hated ski school!! but i know you are right. :roll
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
oh and I forgot to say in my opinion don't buy! just rent! stay on ski's!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard meet graeme, graeme meet Lizzard.
Seconds out, round 1.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ding ding Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Obviously not many people like snowblades here but could someone tell me why?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stemondo wrote:
Im an intermediate skier and want to try snowblading or skiboarding whatever its called. Ive been looking at the Salomon Axess 120's and the Rossignol Freez'b 118 but have been warned that these are too long and too thin and it is a big mistake?

I would rather speed over tricks but still want to be able to do everything and releasable bindings is a must. Also dont really want to go smaller than 99. If they arn't the right ones to buy which are and where from? I dont really want to spend much more than £150 for them with bindings.

Thanks

You've answered your own question. If you want to try blades, hire them, don't buy. If you want to ski a shorter ski there are plenty of brands out there that will ski like a ski should wilst also been short.

No I'm not going to plug Icelantics......oh crap.....just did Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you just want to try snowblading/skiboarding then rent, no point buying without trying them first. The skis you have mentioned Stemondo are actually "mini-skis" rather than true skiboards (which are defined as being <1m long I think). There aren't many true skiboards with full-release alpine bindings. Salomon Snowblades maybe?

I have used the Rossi FreeZB mini-skis for a few days and they were a good laugh, and certainly helped sharpen up my ski technique in certain respects. I didn't take them into the park so I can't tell you whether they are any good for tricks. I wouldn't use them all the time tho, great through moguls, but they just don't run in a schuss. Mini-skis are easy to find in resort hire shops.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Think I know someone with a pair of Salomon's for sale if you insist
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stemondo wrote:
Obviously not many people like snowblades here but could someone tell me why?

I don't have anything against snowblades per se (I own a pair, although rarely use them), but where I mostly ski there are a far higher proportion of people who are out of control on blades than on snowboards or skis. Because of the nature of snowblades it's possible to get around the mountain without really having to develop much technique or control (they are so easy to skid sideways that most people seem to go down the piste on them in sharp zigzags, often at inappropriately high speeds). So it's not so much snowblades I have a problem with, but a large proportion of snowbladers, as they pose a risk to other slope users. Having said that, a good skier on blades who is carving tight turns and getting great angles is a joy to watch Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Absolutely some of them if not most are totally unable to control them selves especially at the speed they get up to........seems to be a large number of young french that are the worst

Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
after having a laugh with graeme on this topic, skiboards are the thingys (snowblades old hat) by all account, although try the 165 versions wink
latest report
...my wife (having broken her wrist) shared a hospital room in Moutier with a lady who vowed never ever to use blades again and when her husband came in with her blades ..... Skullie
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
after having a laugh with graeme on this topic, skiboards are the thingys (snowblades old hat) by all account, although try the 165 versions wink

what is the difference between snowblades and snowboards, other than one seems to be a trade name used by Rossi (?) when they started selling their 99cm blade thingys? Aren't they all just short skis of various configurations in just the same way as slalom, GS, DH, twintip, etc are all just variations on a theme?
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
rayscoops wrote:

what is the difference between snowblades and snowboards, other than one seems to be a trade name used by Rossi (?) when they started selling their 99cm blade thingys? Aren't they all just short skis of various configurations in just the same way as slalom, GS, DH, twintip, etc are all just variations on a theme?

snowblades is a trademark of salomon not rossi. below was copied from skiboardsonline:

Width - The width of the salomon's are one of the worst things about them. They are very skinny compared to other boards. What does this do terminally to the ride? It makes it harder to float in soft snow, slush, and powder. It also makes for a slower ride because you have less surface area, so your weight is more directly pressed down, slowing the ride.

Binding - Salomon binding are notoriously poor compared to other bindings, especially all metal ones like the bombers, snojam extremes, and the old line bindings. The salomon's are made of soft plastic that, in my experiences and others, is notorious for pre-release at inappropriate times. I've had salomons come off while i was in the air several times.

Binding Position - Salomon doesn't center their bindings like most quality skiboards have. This affects the ride in many ways. One big factor is that it leaves much less board behind you to act as a safety cushion if you start leaning back. Get a little off balance, and you're on your ass. It also affects carving, and makes it much more difficult to ride backwards.

Tip/Tail Size - Being as skiboards are short, a high tip and tail is necessary to be able to power through some of the crud that is in the way. Without reasonable tips, you're much more prone to taking a faceplant forward, or land on the back of your head if riding backwards. Salomon traditionally has smaller tips than most boards, and tiny tails in comparassion.

Foam Core - No how far foam cores have come along, their use in skiboards is far from excellent. . Foam cores just don't have the strength that wood cores have. At least in my experience, they are far much more prone to breaking, and tend to give a softer feel that doesn't let you control the ride as well.

asfor what should you buy, i have summit customs 110's and hagan off limit 133's. my summits have non release bomber bindings, which give fantastic performance, my hagans are fitted with frischi freeride at bindings (releaseable). revel8 alp 110's are very good boards also. i have also heard good reports about the icelantic scouts. why not hire in resort to see if you like them first, i personally would avoid the salomons and rossis, maybe try the head version. have you thought about buying second hand from ebay, the old line boards where supposed to be very good, a set of line mick nick pros would cost around £90, you could have releaseable bindings fitted to them.
dont listenb to any crap about being limited on the short boards, yes some of the crappy boards like the salomons are no good off piste, or in the deeper stuff. but all the boards i have are all mountain boards, the summit customs where perfect in knee deep powder, the hagans will be even better i hope

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 1-08-07 16:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

Having said that, a good skier on blades who is carving tight turns and getting great angles is a joy to watch

so you saw me then???
i agree that there a lot of fools out of control on snowblades. i am not one of them..lol
snow conditions
Quote:

There aren't many true skiboards with full-release alpine bindings. Salomon Snowblades maybe?

you can buy any of the true skiboards with releasable alpine bindings. salomon are not true skiboards.....lol
ski holidays
did i mention that statistics prove that skiboarding is the safest form of sliding around on snow Laughing
latest report
graeme wrote:
snowblades is a trademark of salomon not rossi. below was copied from skiboardsonline:

Thanks. It's as I thought: no fundamental difference between snowblades and skiboards. Different name for essentially the same product, in the same way as I would use the name "skis" for a pair of Atomic DH skis straight from their race department as well as for a lightweight pair of beginner's rental skis.
ski holidays
graeme wrote:
did i mention that statistics prove that skiboarding is the safest form of sliding around on snow Laughing

Repeatedly Wink Is it the same survey you quote, or has that "fact" been repeated in multiple tests?
ski holidays
Quote:

Thanks. It's as I thought: no fundamental difference between snowblades and skiboards. Different name for essentially the same product, in the same way as I would use the name "skis" for a pair of Atomic DH skis straight from their race department as well as for a lightweight pair of beginner's rental skis.

sorry there is a huge difference between skiboards and snowblades, anyone that has ridden both will verify this, snowblades are crap, total crap
latest report
Quote:

Is it the same survey you quote

well until someone else post a different survey proving something else, then this one will stand wink
snow report
Where is the cheapest site to buy summit custom 110's or spruce 120's then?
snow conditions
www.skiboards.com or www.skiboardsonline.com
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
graeme wrote:
Quote:

sorry there is a huge difference between skiboards and snowblades, anyone that has ridden both will verify this, snowblades are crap, total crap

There's also a huge difference between a pair of beginners skis and a pair of race department slalom skis, but they are still called skis. I've always found it curious when some people who say they are skiboarders take great offense when it is said that they are on snowblades. To me, and I suspect most people who take part in winter sports, snowblades has become a generic term for short skis, regardless of geometry, construction, binding type or gnarly graphics.
snow report
but put my boards beside a pair of snowblades and the differences become very apparent. in the world of the skiboard, snowblades are renowned as crap, most peoples views of skiboards are based on haven ridden snowblades. skiboarders are constantly told there hardwear is inferior based on this
ski holidays
graeme wrote:
but put my boards beside a pair of snowblades and the differences become very apparent.

Put my race department GS skis next to a pair of Pocket Rockets and the difference is also very apparent, but I really don't care if someone describes both pairs as skis and me as a skier. As I said earlier, it's not the hardware I have a problem with, it's too many of the people aboard it. Without exception I have no idea whether they are on Snowblades or skiboards - they are just short skis to me and, I suspect, most other people on snowHeads.
snow report
so what about the dickheads on skis?? there are idiots sliding around on snow on blades/boards/skis/sledges, why single out the skiboarders. if skiboarders are causng more problems then please back this up with evidence, not just your biased oppinion
ski holidays
RIMG1610

You don't want skiboards you want miniskis! Viva le Wedz'
latest report
graeme wrote:
so what about the dickheads on skis?? there are idiots sliding around on snow on blades/boards/skis/sledges, why single out the skiboarders. if skiboarders are causng more problems then please back this up with evidence, not just your biased oppinion

Plenty of dickheads on skis, and on snowboards. In my experience (and I have never claimed it as anything else) there are a higher proportion of dickheads on short skis than there are on "normal" skis or snowboards. This seems to be especially the case in les Arcs for some reason, compared to other places I often ski such as Tignes/Val or 3 Vallees. Have you got a statistic to prove that snowbladers are, on average, technically more proficient than other slope users, as well as being safer?
ski holidays
it was the same when snowboards started to become popular, skiers where moaning then aswell. you will get idiots in all sports
ski holidays
Quote:

there are a higher proportion of dickheads on short skis than there are on "normal" skis or snowboards

well you will have evidence of this.
Quote:

Have you got a statistic to prove that snowbladers are, on average, technically more proficient than other slope users

no, but then again i have never claimed that have i
snow report
[quote="rob@rar"]
graeme wrote:
This seems to be especially the case in les Arcs for some reason

one word: ski évolutif
snow conditions
graeme wrote:
Quote:

there are a higher proportion of dickheads on short skis than there are on "normal" skis or snowboards

Only firsthand observations from the last three or four seasons, so not exactly evidence which would stand peer review. Other people's mileage may vary (although I have a fair amount of mileage over those three or four seasons).
ski holidays
[quote="davidof"]
rob@rar wrote:
graeme wrote:
This seems to be especially the case in les Arcs for some reason

one word: ski évolutif

I've thought that might account for it, but the people on snowblades that I think are most dangerous seem very new to skiing, so probably will have no idea that Les Arcs has long been associated with ski évolutif. They just strap on a set of blades and point themsleves down the hill, using gravity and hockey stops only.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
graeme wrote:
Quote:

Only firsthand observations from the last three or four seasons, so not exactly evidence which would stand peer review. Other people's mileage may vary (although I have a fair amount of mileage over those three or four seasons).

come on, at least when i stated skiboards where safer i provided evidence (current or not). rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy