Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Level 1 v SSE ASSI

Poster: A snowHead
New update on the Snow Sport England web site:

http://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/member_update_coach_award_scheme-2065.html
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for flagging that up david@mediacopy.

Looks to me as if SE are holding out for more than they've been offered by BASI with regards the CI and potential loss of revenue from instructor members.

Can't blame them but personally I'd rather they get this sorted ASAP and I think the inevitable end result will be that the BASI Level 1 award will replace the ASSI sooner rather than later.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
david@mediacopy, Interesting reading. Sounds like a statement from the Captain of the Titanic.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spyderman, Snowsport Scotland are still running Alpine Ski Leader courses which seem to me to be CI + some mountain safety.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The CI award is very important to many dry slopes and is a progression to SSE ASSI, there needs to be an access for instructing on an artificial slope, which is attainable for people who only wish to coach part time. For many people myself included, a gradual training program accessible from a local dry slope, which allows members to progress without a full time commitment should be available.
I have yet to see where BASI address the CI problem.
It's quite funny addressing sone of my ASSI friends who are VERY competent skiers as only BASI level 1 Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
"Interesting times" for Snowsport England. I really hope they can get it all sorted out.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I completed an ASSI revalidation at the weekend. SSE are to continue to run their coaching award scheme.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski, but for how long? BASI have been taken off guard by the sheer numbers of Instructors converting from SSE & SSS.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spyderman, They didn't say... but didn't appear to be a temporary measure.

It was a very good refresher BTW - probably the best one I've done in 19 years.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a suspicion that SSE will continue as long as they can with their award and although they may talk to BASI about what's going on I don't think they have any intention of giving up their current position (or the money it brings in).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It will be interesting to see what happens to the CI award, hopefully they can continue with it but IMO it should be re-focused as a true "club instructor" , an unpaid volunteer. It would also be good as rjs says to keep the leader course as a progression from CI.

Also, SSE seem to place great importance on the IVSI. Does anyone else?
ski holidays
 monster77
monster77
skimottaret, SSE are the only organisation in the UK that can issue the IVSI at the moment, and I think that they are keen to hang onto that.

The IVSI is a usefull licence to hold as it allows you to take & coach groups on snow, without having to work for a local ski school.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

The IVSI is a usefull licence to hold as it allows you to take & coach groups on snow, without having to work for a local ski school.

Ahhh... i just assumed it was an association, thanks...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, monster77, BASI haven't lauched they coaches scheme (BASC) yet, so at present SSE is the only way for club coaching in the UK, to obtain an IVSI licence. Once the BASC is up and running, I can see the final nail in the coffin for SSE, then it will be only a matter of time before they have insufficient members and income to survive.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman, there was some info on the coaches scheme in the BASI newsletter where they stated they would be using a lot of the Canadian course content as well as bits from the APM. Looks like they are starting the "conversions" as early as Oct. http://www.basi.org.uk/course_disc.aspx?did=13

rjs, BASI is getting involved with the ASL as well

http://www.basi.org.uk/info_detail.aspx?pid=25&nid=fd5de68d-73f6-497f-8210-30bed0a6dc0d
snow conditions
 monster77
monster77
skimottaret wrote:
Spyderman, there was some info on the coaches scheme in the BASI newsletter where they stated they would be using a lot of the Canadian course content as well as bits from the APM. Looks like they are starting the "conversions" as early as Oct. http://www.basi.org.uk/course_disc.aspx?did=13

rjs, BASI is getting involved with the ASL as well

http://www.basi.org.uk/info_detail.aspx?pid=25&nid=fd5de68d-73f6-497f-8210-30bed0a6dc0d

The BASI site only mentions SSS coach conversions, what are BASI's plans for SSE coaches, either the Perfomance coaches or the Development coaches?
snow report
skimottaret, monster77, I think the BASI coach scheme that is just about to start is aimed at the Performance i.e. Race Coaches as it replaces the APC. The BASI Development Coach scheme will be run by a new Assc. set up by BASI called BASC or British Assc of Snowsports Coaches. AFIAAA this is some 6 months off being set up, after which time I'm sure they will have IVSI status. Please correct me if I've read it wrongly.
snow conditions
Spyderman, FYI, It apparently also replaces the APM, which was just started a year or two ago. I have booked onto an APM course in March and am now wondering if it will be redundent like the APC. I have an email to Basi on that subject...
snow conditions
monster77, I would expect that anyone with a SSE APC 1 would be allowed to do the conversion to BASI Level 1 coach too. Tim Fawke is a CSCF coach and his first few courses were run alongside some SSS ones.

The IVSI licence is the correct one for a club race coach IMHO, maybe SSE should be using this as a bargaining chip in discussions with BASI.

I wonder how many Development coaches really teach adults from their club on snow ?
snow conditions
skimottaret, I though the idea was for the BASI coach Level 1, to be a APM course, then do a bit extra for the Coach L1 award. Puzzled
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
monster77,

I wonder how many Development coaches really teach adults from their club on snow ?

The Coaches from Hemel do.
latest report
skimottaret,

Where did you hear about that about it replacing the APM?
latest report
beanie1 have a look at http://www.basi.org.uk/course_disc.aspx?did=13

"This course has replaced the APM and is a requirement of the BASI Teacher qualification."

I will let you know what i hear back from BASI.. I havent booked yet and if you need some sort of conversion course i would probably wait for the new L1 coaches course....
snow conditions
skimottaret,

If you read the course dates though, it's the course we've booked on to in March. So I guess it's just the APM re-badged. If it means we get the Level 1 coach award then fantastic.

I will seek clarification from a reliable source!!
latest report
beanie1, good spot, of course the dates are the same. so it looks as though we will be on one of the first courses.. it would be good to find out if we need to do any conversion courses or resits if the course we are on is only the APM though...

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 18-09-07 9:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
skimottaret,

Right, I asked my source and he said if it's a forthcoming course it'll be the new one. Anyone who's already done the APM it will still stand. I don't think the APM as was will be run again. Reading that info on the BASI website though, it looks as though we'll have to do some shadowing before the qualification becomes valid.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beanie1 wrote:
it looks as though we'll have to do some shadowing before the qualification becomes valid.

I saw that - how will it work? Are there enough active coaches who can provide shadowing opportunities?
snow report
rob@rar,

No idea! Will try and find out.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, thanks for that if i hear back from basi will let you know what they say.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
beanie1 wrote:
it looks as though we'll have to do some shadowing before the qualification becomes valid.

I saw that - how will it work? Are there enough active coaches who can provide shadowing opportunities?

Under the old system you did a week or two helping out one or other of the National/Home Nation teams after APC 2. This meant that the teams got extra helpers as well as letting club coaches get to know who they were sending racers to.

There probably are enough potential mentors around, it may be asking a bit much for them to do a conversion course though.
ski holidays
Does anyone know whether current APC 1's will be able to go straight on to the BASI level 2 coach, or will we have to travel out to the alps for a one day conversion to level 1 coach and then book on a level 2 course?
snow report
'A one day Conversion and Resit Course is required to change from the Snowsport Scotland APC 1. Must also be a full member of BASI.

15th December 07 in Saas Fee'

From the website.
latest report
Quote:

'A one day Conversion and Resit Course is required to change from the Snowsport Scotland APC 1. Must also be a full member of BASI.

15th December 07 in Saas Fee'

Yes, I saw that, I was just wondering if you can skip the conversion if you want to go straight on to the next level - it doesn't really make sense to have to do it.
snow conditions
iblair, If they really need the conversion day it would make sense to do it the day before each of the Level 2 courses start.
latest report
You have to a lot of other courses to get the Level 2 coach. Is the APC 2 that extensive?
snow report
The old APC 2 is a two week course, so probably equivalent to the trained status, plus work experience with a national team, so the new one certainly takes longer (costs more!).
latest report
beanie1, The "trained status" part of Level 2 coach is the same length as the APC 2 course, the other bits are extra.
snow report
It's most of the BASI grade 2!! Just not Tech, Off piste or language. Which is fine if you're also working your way through BASI system, but if not...

Also, can anyone explain why you'd need to do the Freestyle Performance Module? I can understand the logic behind the 2 Teach and common theory, but isn't it just meant to be a race coach qualification?
snow conditions
beanie1 wrote:
Also, can anyone explain why you'd need to do the Freestyle Performance Module? I can understand the logic behind the 2 Teach and common theory, but isn't it just meant to be a race coach qualification?

I thought that looked like a bit of a wheeze to get you to part with more cash. Couldn't think of any other reason to insist on freestyle for a race coach badge.
snow report
beanie1, I have read the descriptions several times trying to decide what I would do. Comparing it with the equivalent CSCF courses shows where they are coming from.

The freestyle bit comes from CSCF. The idea is that you get the kids used to doing jumps and stuff in the snow park. For CSCF 1 (Entry Level) you can either do the full Entry Level freestyle course or a course specific to racing.

CSCF 2 (Development Level) includes the requirement to pass CSIA 2, which is a lower level than ISIA.

If I do anything I would stop after the "trained status" bit, but I'm going to talk to a few people first.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy