Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

last years k2 recons vs this years k2 recons

Poster: A snowHead
Howdy,

not been on here for a while, so hello Very Happy

anyone know if there's any difference between this and last seasons apache recons other than a mild colour tweak?

Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't say for definate but the 06/07 ski was unchanged from the 05/06. I've got the 07/08 catalogue & the Recon description is exactly the same as in this year's so I reckon it's unchanged - apart from the usual colour tweak.

Personally I'm not a fan of the Recon but I get loads of them in to tune so it's obviously been a great success, with the lack of changes indicating that K2 got it right first time.

If you buy the Recon's & plan to do your own tuning then you'll need to trim back the sidewall before you can do any work on the side edge as the side wall is fully flush with the top of the side edge leaving no room for a diamond stone to cut etc. I work on so many Recon's that I've got a sidewall cutter set-up specifically for that ski.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I havent seen the new recon but if it has the same rail based binding attachement system STAY WELL CLEAR OF THESE SKIS.

I have put 7 weeks on my recons and the toe bindings are so loose my boot moves side to side loads. I have returned to K2 once and they replaced the bindings and ground down the attachment rails but they are still S**T.

just brought them back from France last week and will be returning for a refund. Also, a friend in Meribel who runs a large ski hire shop told me off the record that they sent EVERY single K2 ski back last season with this binding system and after a big arguement K2 refunded them. They had two instances of the binding coming off with punters. Shocked Shocked

I am seeing spyderjon, thursday and will bring my skis along for him to look at.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, I remember you posting about this problem in the past so I'd be interested in seeing that as I've a good few clients with Recons & none of them appear to have had any problems so far. Don't think any of them have done 7 weeks yet but a couple can't be far off.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, i might have a wee hangover but will see you for 9....
ski holidays
 brian
brian
spyderjon wrote:
Can't say for definate but the 06/07 ski was unchanged from the 05/06.

Is the tail on the 06/07 not slightly more upturned ?

I have the 05/06 and have had no binding issues. It's a very good all round ski.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brian, the 05/06 had normal screw on bindings the upturned 06/07 have the integrated rail system, which i am not impressed with. but as you say i too love the ski itself.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
skimottaret, I think we've been here before ... has K2 sorted this on the 08 ? I think the "default" binding has changed though it's still a marker. You can buy them without bindings in the states, not sure about europe.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian, interesting to hear they have been changed back, perhaps i can get tehm to replace with a new pair wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can get 174s pretty cheap. I'm 6'4" and pretty fast, athletic. would i need the longer skis if i can get them?
latest report
 brian
brian
shoogly, what weight are you ? Unless you're a beanpole I'd go for the 181s. Off piste the extra area would definitely help.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
can also reccomend Fischer AMC 79. got mine very cheap from ski bilek
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm around the 14stone mark. can't find 181s as cheap as the 174s. I'll keep looking over the next few weeks. Shock)
snow report
 brian
brian
shoogly, what price did you get ? They're about £300 here:

http://www.sportpalette.de/product_info.php/info/p757_06-07-K2-Ski-Apache-Recon.html
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
£275 at ellis-brigham
snow report
shoogly, I'd certainly suggest going longer than 174. I'm (currently rolling eyes ) about 15 stone, normally ski 184s but am finding the off-piste MUCH easier with a fatter ski (looking now at 90mm+). 174 would probably be OK for just on-piste - but if you're sticking on piste then why go for Recons, as there are much better piste-only skis? If you want to go more off piste and like K2 (somehow I don't really get on with them), maybe you should look for the Outlaws or Chiefs.
snow report
I do like a bit of off piste, but probably about 60% is on. I can't afford two pairs of skis - can hardly afford one, but there we go. I'll keep looking and see what i can come up with.
ski holidays
GrahamN, .... every household should have a pair of Orange Skis ....
snow report
 brian
brian
shoogly, 181s on sport conrad for €249 = £170

http://www.sport-conrad.com/ArtikelDetail.asp?Kategorie=&ArtNummer=70005214

Being sold without the binding so no issues with the problem described by skimottaret above.
snow report
brian, Careful.... although sold without bindings the 06/07 have a rail attachment system that can only be used with Marker bindings i believe.....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BUMP

after returning my o6/07 recons for the second time K2 have issued a full credit note through Snow and Rock as the skis were "not repairable"

fair play and i am real happy i didnt have to go to war over it but that ski mounting system IMO is rubbish....
latest report
skimottaret, That's great news.

Interestingly I've just had a brand new pair of 06/07 Recon's (still in their wrapper with date sticker) in for mounting, a base prep & sidewall trim etc. The Marker bindings fit on a rail that's affixed to the ski - like on the Burnin' Luv's I showed you the other week. That integral rail on your skis was definately a dodgy design.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy