Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pixie Wear.

Poster: A snowHead
OK, sick of those pants being too long,jacket sleeves getting in your dinner? Know the feeling? Does anyone out there makes clothing suitable for us shorties? Some of the slimmer pixies may fit into kidswear, but it is the wrong shape or in dreadful 'kiddie' colours, and taking up the pants often results in the waterproof seams being destroyed.

(PS girls, I realise I am opening us all to yet more ridicule from the pixie-bashers, but this is dead serious, I want my skiwear to fit!!! )
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Some of the slimmer pixies may fit into kidswear, but it is the wrong shape

Helen Beaumont, Tell me about it rolling eyes
I bought some really nice Schoffel sallopettes last season from Lockwoods that are for pixie legs Laughing Not the cheepest buy but very good quality. I am sure that when we met up with Geri at the London ski show last year she had just bought some Eiger salloppettes that were petites.
It seems daft that all the high street stores have petite sections that the sports manufacturers (apart from the expensive ones) havent looked into producing petite ski clothing.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Linds, my North Face ones I bought in LDA are wearing along the bottom of the legs already from trailing on the ground. And why are they always black? (Now I sound like Dave Murdoch).
rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen Beaumont, You got any cash? We could go into buisness Laughing
You can just see it cant you, PIXIE Skiwear Laughing

My sallopettes are a 29.5 inch inside leg (just measured them for you rolling eyes ) and having worn them for a season there is not a mark on the bottoms so with ski boots they are a perfect length for me but yes they are black but the fit more than makes up for the colour snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Linds, just my thoughts actually. No spare cash hanging around at the moment though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Linds, Helen Beaumont, perhaps you should put your thoughts to some of the Ski clothing manufacturers, there must be a demand for it and also at the other end of the scale for the taller ladies, as I expect they often have to buy menswear. Confused
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen Beaumont, take up boarding. Your oversized clothing will then be the height of 'sick' (or whatever this week's word is).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen Beaumont wrote:
but it is the wrong shape or in dreadful 'kiddie' colours,

Helen Beaumont wrote:
And why are they always black?

Make up your mind rolling eyes wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Elizabeth B, fair enough Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Elizabeth B, Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IncogSkiSno wrote:
and also at the other end of the scale for the taller ladies, as I expect they often have to buy menswear. Confused

Nowhere makes clothes for tall, fat ladies. They all assume that if you are fat you are also short (or if you are tall you are thin) Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard, I happen to agree that ladies boarding gear is a bit better than the ski gear, at least it is meant to be baggy, not tight on the bum and long in the leg.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If all the pixies cut 4 inches off the leg they could sell the spare bits on to all the lankies out there Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FenlandSkier, Laughing Laughing

My boarding trousers are "Youths" - only ones I could get to fit. Bought them about 6 years ago for my first boarding holiday. I really need some new ones as they are getting a bit tightish Embarassed

I've not found any others yet that fit. Mad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Every pair of slopettes or now boarding pants I own /have owned have been ripped to shreds at the bottom because I'm too short. That is the only reason I have ever had to replace them. They are fine otherwise.

But I see it as a good excuse to refresh my outfit Laughing
snow report
Now if I could find someone to manufacture this 'pixie' clothing, in a decent fabric, and at a decent price................ Puzzled . Or persuade some of the larger manufacturers that there is a market....................
ski holidays
I'm 5'4" but have short legs. I don't know what length my sallies are but I always turn them up if I'm not wearing ski boots otherwise they would trail the ground and I don't want to risk wearing the bottoms (spyder Cool ). they are ok with boots on but are clearly too long. So even "not quite pixies" would buy short leg pants. 29.5" woudl be perfect for me.
ski holidays
My Mum's a pixie and wears Killy stuff, its a bit (over) dear IMO but it seems to come in size "Pixie".
ski holidays
Frosty, I bought Killy clothing too. I'm only 5 ft 2 and take a size 6 and 29.5 inside leg. There is very little available in this size. Killy was very expensive, but the choice was extremely limited. Even so, when wearing trainers, the trousers drag on the ground. They are OK once I'm wearing ski boots.

The choice were some pretty horrible and cheap baggy boarding trousers, buying a size 8 and holding them up with braces, or kiddies which are too short in the leg, even for a pixie (age 12 fits me well, but it is too short).

I noticed when in France there are a lot more clothes catering for smaller ladies, but that was in CV1850, and the prices were even worse than buying Killy in the UK!

As with all clothing, I tend to buy something I like if I see it in my size, because I can't just go out and buy something when I need it - because it is rarely available in my size. The Killy stuff was an impulse purchase, but so far has done 9 weeks in the Alps, and I'm not intending to replace it for a while.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, As Linds said, I got some great Eiger ones at the ski show last year. I'm 5ft 2 & they come in short sizes (as mine are). They are black - but at least you can be seen on the slopes it goes with everything, so a colourful jacket will brighten it up
ski holidays
geri, thanks,I'll look out for them. My North Face ones are frayed around the bottom of the leg already.
latest report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
geri, thanks,I'll look out for them. My North Face ones are frayed around the bottom

Shocked
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont wrote:
[My North Face ones are frayed around the bottom

Tell him to cut his nails Shocked
ski holidays
I think that could be called 'selective quoting' rolling eyes
ski holidays
I'm one of those "larger" ladies (though trying to do something about it as ever) who's above average lady's height and has long-ish legs. I found one pair of ski trousers (black of course) made by Parallel, (Mountain Warehouse) with legs long enough for me (32").

My big problem is jackets though. I'm the opposite of the classic English pear-shape, being somewhat top-heavy, to put it delicately. I found it impossible to get a jacket to fit and ended up with a man's one, which is too long in the body, shapeless and the sleeves are too long even for me. My sister (a 5'2" size 10 pixie) tried on a rather fetching black/pink jacket in EB's sale at Tam - astonishingly she needed a "Large", but the sleeves were too long! Where the dickens does that leave me, if size 10 is large????

I'm renewing the effort as I really don't like my jacket and hope this winter I can justify a new one if my current one swamps me by then!
snow conditions
Sorry to but into this largely female thread but us shorter blokes don't have any of these problems. We put on our sallopettes, pull on our boots, then if the sallies are too long we turn them up. For those who aren't aware or this complex process, you take the bottom edge of one trouser leg in your hand then fold it back until you achieve the desired leg length. This is then repeated for the other leg.

Any other fashion advice required while I'm on a roll?
latest report
I've found an equally effective option is to go for the crinkled & baggy look, it doesn't seem to affect my skiing to any obvious degree Laughing
snow conditions
AlpineWalker, a lot of ladies, particularly shorter ladies, find the crinkled baggy look is more like the Michelin Man look. I prefer to have tight or at least well-fitting well-tailored clothes. Baggy doesn't affect your skiing, it is true, but having Mr Docsquid moan at me that I look fat all day is extremely annoying. At least the Killly kit is well-tailored and at least makes me look a bit like a girl.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For GOds' sake guys, we do not want to look like we're wearing giants clothing, we want stuff that fits us, length or otherwise. THe wrinkled leg look is not good.
latest report
Well I'm neither a pixie nor a giant, neither over- nor underweight and still have huge problems buying any trousers to fit, let alone ski trousers so I follow docsquid's practice of just buying when I find them. And even at 5'6" I have to turn up the trousers in anything other than ski boots - maybe they're designed that way so they come down far enough over your boots? My big problem is that most ski trousers seem to have been designed for American teenagers with no waist so if they'll go over hips, they're uncomfortably baggy at the waist; if they are halfway decent at the waist they're incredibly tight on the hips and restrict movement. I have a great pair of Rossignol trousers that fit pretty much perfectly - and were then discontinued the next year when I wanted a second pair rolling eyes The last pair I bought were Scott unisex from Jutta in LDA which have sufficient velcro adjustment at the waist to fit well. Come on manufacturers - add some "real women" to your design teams!
ski holidays
eng_ch, hear, hear, I have exactly the same problem with my North Face ones. I had to buy a larger size to fit the hips, but the waist is huge, fortunately they have a velcro adjustment, but they still slip down, making them even longer
snow conditions
Quote:

having Mr Docsquid moan at me that I look fat all day is extremely annoying.

Have you thought of telling him to shove his unwanted opinions up his bum? Wouldn't accept that sort of nonsense from mine! Laughing
latest report
just wear heels when not in ski boots, problem solved Very Happy
snow report
rayscoops, you mean platforms Sad
snow conditions
eng_ch, both fine by me Very Happy
latest report
rayscoops, fine, you wear them then lol
snow conditions
rayscoops, like to see you navigate slush, ice or mud in a pair heels Twisted Evil
ski holidays
debbi, the girls down here navigate a lot worse Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

I'm one of those "larger" ladies (though trying to do something about it as ever) who's above average lady's height and has long-ish legs.

I hope you're not trying to do anything about the length of your legs; there are limits, you know...
snow report
Did anyone find salopettes that are not too long in the leg? My friend just about makes the 5' mark and is curvy so kids sals don't fit across the hips. She doesn't want black or white and she doesn't want to pay too much. She doesn't want much eh! Still I promised I would ask the wise pixies of snowheads Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy