Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux-Alpes-What's the attraction

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry, Easiski, i also forgot to add that respected the support and stance you took throughout, BIG RESPECT!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LDA. Easily accessible by train or plane (via Grenoble). Friendly, laid back resort. Not that great for a week if sticking to pistes - pretty good otherwise - and an excellent base for a great area. and, of course, there is easiski. All this at very reasonable cost.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am amazed that so many "intermediate" level skiers are impressed by km's in resort. As the more experienced skiers out there (definately not including myself. Happy to be on the safe plateau!) You can ski the same run every day for the season and NOT get bored. Try doing a different line, try skiing on one ski, try turning on the inside edge on the inside ski etc. etc. It is only ones ability to get bored not the terrain.

Mrs. RH skied most of her life on 3 runs in Norway. She can ski!!! She still goes back and skis the hill then again she would have the ability not to get bored. She laughs at a number of the "more advanced" lads that go skiing with me and have to ski the mountain out!!! As easiski, says there are many lines on a run or even dare I say outside the blue marked pistes!!!

Your opinion of a resort (town and buildings) may be valid, but the runs are what YOU can make of them. When or if you go back to that resort see if you can take a few lessons with easiski, and I am sure she will either help your skiing or show you how many lines can be had on any particular piste!!!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Roy Hockley, A man after my own heart when it comes to kms!!! Thank you for your kind words too.

letitsnow, Do you mean my stance re Rob at the time of the hassles, or my stance in defence of my home????? Rob should come back. The only folks who even remember now are pierre-Alain and James and me. Virtually everyone else has gone. Jutta is on his side, and no-one bothers much about James TBH (although he was kind enough to lend me his lump hammer). I know he has a different life now, but also maybe it would be good for him to really lay all those ghosts to rest. Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, Possibly not a man after your own heart! I am an intermediate, I love km's!!! Thats why I bought in the PdS, miles and miles and miles and miles of runs and the piste starts 7m from my apartment door! OTOH my significant other is able to somehow get down all the blues in the resort and has fun doing so wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

letitsnow, Do you mean my stance re Rob at the time of the hassles, or my stance in defence of my home????? Rob should come back. The only folks who even remember now are pierre-Alain and James and me. Virtually everyone else has gone. Jutta is on his side, and no-one bothers much about James TBH (although he was kind enough to lend me his lump hammer). I know he has a different life now, but also maybe it would be good for him to really lay all those ghosts to rest

Your stance at the times of trouble. If he wasn't so uncomfortable in resort at the time he would have Jutta for a job!!!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
letitsnow, Aaaahhhh. Yes - we did all understand at the time - very difficult, and not just the shop either. I've never understood why peeps expect you to take sides though - if all parties are friends then being put under pressure to take one side is fairly monstrous too.

Roy Hockley, So it was the Mrs who was posting then?????? wink wink wink wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, Only if I am wearing a dress!!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Roy Hockley, You can do whatever you like in the privacy of your own home. Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
letitsnow, I am getting the impression you have a grudge. One bad deal at a shop does not make a resort bad. Furthermore, if you have been to LDA, you also have your own impression - it is not up to anyone else to "install my confiodence in this supposed major resort". I think we have got the message that you were unhappy there. The obvious answer is for you not to go again.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

letitsnow, I am getting the impression you have a grudge. One bad deal at a shop does not make a resort bad. Furthermore, if you have been to LDA, you also have your own impression - it is not up to anyone else to "install my confiodence in this supposed major resort". I think we have got the message that you were unhappy there. The obvious answer is for you not to go again.

Achilles, As you said one bad shop deal does not make a bad resort, quite right. It does leave a bitter sting though.

The reason i initially asked was exactly for that , have i missed something? Clearly by the feedback i appear to have done just that and contrary to the "obvious" answer with the correct group of people i may well try it again in the future(i'll try and get Rob back, EASISKI!)

Is this not the whole point of a forum to achieve an overall view other than someones own personal view?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
letitsnow, the first rule of snowheadsclub is that LDA is unquestionably sacred. The second rule is that it cannot be discussed. Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

letitsnow, the first rule of snowheadsclub is that LDA is unquestionably sacred. The second rule is that it cannot be discussed

Hence the "horses head"then? I din't know what i was dealing with!! VERY SCARED!!!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some resorts are sacred to some snowheads for various reasons.

Some may own a place there. Other may cut their skiing teeth from there. There are some who have lived there a number of years and others may have established very good friendship with the locals. Outsiders looking superficially may not appreciate the all the potentials each resort can offer.

One can only know the place better by reading the posts and realise the bits and pieces not obvious to a few short visits.

LDA never makes a claim as the top notch resort or I have never seen such a claim myself. It has its own charm. The glacier has been a popular visit for the summer and its close proximity to La Grave has been very popular for skiers wanting challenge. The section around the town centre is a very large but concentrated area for the beginners. There are different runs to suit different tastes.

The initial comment that an experienced skier may run out of new place to ski in a few days can be true for any resort with 200km piste.

Large resorts with massive amount of piste can be daunting to cover because the time taken to reach one end to another. I could be wrong but I doubt if an average skier can go from one extreme to the other extreme in 3 Valles and come back in the same day (say starting at 1650 Courcheval and go to the Orelle in Val Thoren), especially during the peak season where the progress can be pinned down by the queues at the bottle neck places. The 600km piste should be big enough for any skier for a week's skiing I would have thought.

The other big place like Porte du Soleil isn't fully linked but the 1200km Dolomites has about 500km fully linked around Sella Ronda. One may take a day to go round it clockwise or anticlockwise but to reach some deep corners in a day is still a huge challenge.

I think LDA should be enjoyed for its ambience and the modern facilities. It is together with ADH are the most accessible resorts from the French side in that valley. After LDA it is a long distance to get to Briancon where larger resorts like Serre Chevalier and the French/Italian Milky Way lie. I would be very disappointed if I miss out LDA in that valley. So far I have been there twice and I would go again.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bh1, Laughing Laughing Laughing saikee, Balanced.

I know I overreact, but mainly it's when peeps say silly things like "went there for a week and was bored". When some of the best skiers in france live here and have continued to do so for a number of years this statement is plainly daft - sorry!!! Most peeps coming here either aren't good enough to enjoy what's on offer, or for some peculiar reason just don't find it! (It's all in plain view) rolling eyes
ski holidays
Seriously, surley most major resorts boast there own fair quantity "the best skiers in france".

I appreciate what you are saying as this is possibly one of the best indicators of a resort, fair comment but this is again one quote that can be said for many resorts.
ski holidays
Ok, what is there to do in L2A in the summer? apart form the glacier skiing? genuine question
ski holidays
rayscoops,
I was in 2 Alpes earlier on this summer and really enjoyed it as a family holiday. A lot to do, included on the weeks lift pass were: unlimited use of pool and ice rink, a tennis session, an archery session, Six shots on the luge and unlimited use of the lifts for mountain biking and walking. There seemed to be quite a few other things as well such as rafting kayaking parapenting, but what was included in the pass took up our energies without trying extra. Top holiday snowHead
latest report
rayscoops,

In resort: golf, summer luge, swimming, skating, minigolf, walking, biking, tennis, climbing (on the wall), trampolining

In the area: rafting (up to grade IV), hydrospeeding, canoeing, kayaking, via ferrata, climbing (on actual rocks), more walking and biking, parapenting, microlighting, horse rides, donkey rides, Adventure Park, more swimming (with waterslides), quad bike hire, guided walking on the glacier at La Grave, pedalo hire, sailing, windsurfing.

I've probably missed a few things, but that should more or less keep you occupied for a week or so.
latest report
Lizzard, You missed the war games, deval carts, grass skiing, downhill scooters, archery. squash (if you want to stay indoors), bouncy castle, crazy golf, crazy snooker, I'm sure I haven't picked up all the slack yet either ... I always forget something. rolling eyes

letitsnow, I'm actually talking about either WC skiers or freeride champions who don't come from here. All resorts have their top home grown peeps - but I don't know how many apart from Chamonix appeal to these guys to move here and stay here (without necessarily marrying into the local clans). Also ENSA run a lot of courses here. I seriously think we are the only place I've ever been to have it all! Lively night life, friendly "homey" atmosphere, brilliant skiing, (guaranteed to ski), La Grave next door, 300 days sunshine as an average per year, convenient to airports, cheap. Very Happy
latest report
Oh, and forgot to say: virtually none of those horrid snobs who go to CVL and Val D, hardly any lager louts, also no russian mafia!
snow report
I love snow, I love ski-ing. Don't care how big or small a resort is. I've never been to anywhere that I would decide never to go back to. I've skied in Scotland, America, Canada, France, Andorra, Italy, Switzerland and Spain. I live in Scotland and think Scottish ski-ing when we get good snow is out of this world. I've loved some of my days in America and have very fond memories of the Sierra Nevada.

I just love sliding, simple as that.

When I can't have snow, I slide on dry mat basically every week. It isn't snow, but I wouldn't give it up either.

From being in this forum, I've learned a lot about LDA. It has always been a place that I've wanted to go to, but bever ended up there. This thread just makes me want to go all the more!!

One day I'll get there for sure!
latest report
snowaddict, then you've named yourself very well. Very Happy I agree about Scotland - on a good day it's as good as anywhere. However most peeps would be surprised that my fave hill is the Lecht - the originator of this thread would be bored there in 2 hours! rolling eyes Hope to see you here one day. Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

I seriously think we are the only place I've ever been to have it all! Lively night life, friendly "homey" atmosphere, brilliant skiing

Are there two places called Les Deux Alpes then? I must of gone to the other one
snow conditions
BGA wrote:
Are there two places called Les Deux Alpes then?

Is the clue in the question? wink
latest report
Waiter!

Another horse's head please.
snow report
BGA, I've been to the same one as you. An ugly sprawling blot on an otherwise beautiful mountainside. I think the mountain is upside down - all the gentle stuff at the very top, most of the good stuff lower down. It's OK when the temps are low and the snow is there. Can't understand the preoccupation with la belle France when Italy, Austria and Switzerland offer more character than such ski stations.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, won't somebody think of the lines? Skullie Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Order two horse heads because les Deux cheval tete?
latest report
Bode Swiller, eloquently and accurately put. I've been reading this thread but not posted because I've always subscribed to the each to their own theory, however to see LDA described as 'the only place to have it all' is a bit much.
I'll just pop upstairs and turn the bed down for the horse's head delivery
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
snowaddict, then you've named yourself very well. Very Happy I agree about Scotland - on a good day it's as good as anywhere. However most peeps would be surprised that my fave hill is the Lecht - the originator of this thread would be bored there in 2 hours! rolling eyes Hope to see you here one day. Very Happy

I really do hope to come up one day to LDA - both in winter and summer. My other half and I are on holiday in a couple of weeks and don't know what to do with our time or where to go so you never know!!!

I love Nevis Range, I adore Courmayeur and I really love the Sierra Nevada - a lot of people I'm sure would poo poo both.

I am just addicted!!!!

I am an instructor working on dry mat with occasional forays onto the snow to teach every season. I don't know if my addiction problems are related to being in the outdoors, mountains, being high, just sliding around, I've no idea. But as I said earlier, I've never been anywhere I don't like.
latest report
snowaddict, you're very lucky, in a way, to be so addicted. There are resorts to which I won't return simply because I don't like the way they look, however brilliant the skiing. Obviously that's quite limiting. Good for you being such a happy skier! Very Happy
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
snowaddict, you're very lucky, in a way, to be so addicted. There are resorts to which I won't return simply because I don't like the way they look, however brilliant the skiing. Obviously that's quite limiting. ........

Understandable, though. Zermatt with all its ambience on a crisp moonlit night - or Tignes with the Espace Killy at the doorstep? I think I'd go for Zermatt again.
latest report
Quote:

BGA wrote:
Are there two places called Les Deux Alpes then?

Is the clue in the question?

Mont de lans and venosc, but only one resort......boohh!!!!!!
latest report
Firstly - must declare vested interest - I own a place in L2A, but this is possibly a plus as we did do quite a bit of viewing in other places and the commitment to spend a bundle of hard earned on a place rather than a week's holiday makes your mind focus a bit. With 20 odd years skiing all around europe and the states behind us we had our own checklist. The "facts" about L2A are

It's snowsure
It's got a long season
You can ski in summer
It's got a lot of skiing on piste for those cruising days in the sun.
It's got access to offpiste of high quality when you need it
It's value for money
It's easy to get to

it does have it's downpoints

It's not pretty
Skiing from top to bottom can get a bit of a pain cos all the traffic is going in the same direction toward the end of the day
Can be a bit rowdy depending on who's in town
above the treeline in most part

on balance there are better skiing resorts, Livelier nightlife, more mountain restauarnts etc etc but measuring each in turn it really doesn't do bad. There's lots of subjective stuff already discussed but if you take any resort and subject it to the spotlight you'll get massively polarised view depending on peoples very personal experiences of poor weather, bad service, crime etc. I'd just say it's well worth a try if you haven't been, it won't be a waste of money, make your own minds up.
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
I think the mountain is upside down - all the gentle stuff at the very top, most of the good stuff lower down. It's OK when the temps are low and the snow is there.

this makes it great for storm skiing. have to say, for me, it comes last (after La Grave and Alpe d'Huez) in the area for a bluebird powder day, but it's definitely the place to go when the snow is actually falling.

i think the place looks a lot more attractive in summer than it does in winter
snow conditions
for me the plus points

easy and cheap to get to from UK
not too expensive when there
enough piste & off piste for a decent hol
town whilst not beautiful is convenient, flat at resort level and serves two mountains
good enough night life and accom
snow sure as much as anywhere else
can do neighbouring resorts on same pass for a day
latest report
BGA, Bode Swiller, Have you seen the purpose built resorts? It's much more attractive than Val Thorens, Meribel, Flaine, Les Menuires, Avoriaz and so on. It is at least built piecemeal rather than all at one time, therefore the buildings are all at odds to each other with different shaped roofs and different styles. Of course it's not chocolate box, no-one has ever claimed it was, but compared to the resorts above it's not particularly ugly. In addition there are over 2,000 people who actually live here all the year round, so there is a definite village atmosphere in spite of it's size. If you came with a TO you wouldn't have been allowed to go out and sample because they only recommend the english bars and so on. There are lots of nice bars, several are open til 02.00, and a couple of discos - what more do you want. 75 bars and restos in the town - choice. Most Brits, however only find 2 or 3!! Yes, the mountain is upside down, but this is good - poor skiers can always ski here due to the gentle glacier runs. Good skiers can ski on easy runs, poor skiers cannot ski on difficult ones. Also, since you can ski from 3,600 to 2,100m before you get to the face then that's 1,500m vertical drop before you may need to take a lift down. That's more than most resorts have to start with ..... I've never NOT been able to ski to the town at the end of the season (including this year when I did it with ssh). OK we did have to walk out from the village, but we did get down to the top of Champamee. The village (now renamed Les Deux Alpes 1800) is an abomination as is that horrid big building Le Diamante (home to ChickenDhansak, ) in the centre. Otherwise I stand by my assertion. LDA has it all in spades!!! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
"the village", while appalling to look at, does throw up some interesting "urban skiing" problems if you get lost and try to ski through it Laughing

should add that, although LDA, in my book, comes behind LG and ADH on a powder day, so do most places and it certainly doesn't come far behind them
latest report
Quote:

Have you seen the purpose built resorts?
all of 'em.

Quote:

If you came with a TO
Pardon?!? I resent the inference that I might be a Billy.

Quote:

Yes, the mountain is upside down
I rest my case your honour

Quote:

The village ... is an abomination
thank you wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy